Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCEAN'S TWELVE (Spoilers)

Steven Soderbergh took $110 million from the studio and played the world's biggest practical joke.

It is amazing that this actually got a release. And the fact that it made $125 million is mind-boggling.

Did this look good enough on paper to greenlight a nine figure budget?

*** Spoilers ***

They actually made the key to the big heist the fact that Tess (Julia Roberts) was going to impersonate... Julia Roberts.

This film is a mess.

The quality of Soderbergh's output is more erratic than Robert Altman's work.

Re: OCEAN'S TWELVE (Spoilers)

That's exactly how I felt. Like it was all a big inside joke. The only reason that movie got made is because a big bunch of fantastically famous beautiful actors agreed to star in it! The sad thing is the original was really good.

Comment

i really enjoyed he first one. it wasn't anything deep and meaningful, but it was fun and everyone involved seemed to be having a good time. this one i didn't like at all. the plot was kinda all over the place and didn't make that much sense.

**** SPOILERS ****

the thing that really bugged me about it was that the last 5 mins negated pretty much everything that came before it. i like twist endings when the twist makes sense, but this one took it all and said "all that jeopardy we went through was meaningless because we had the egg all the time." most of the 12 weren't really involved in the heist and they ended up in jail or doing other things for most of the movie.

overall it was nowhere near as much fun as the first one.
      Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Comment

I'm very generous when it come to criticizing others and their work but I did not enjoy this movie at all.

I think the inside joke may have been ' let's see how much money we can make based on starpower alone'.

I thought the original (remake) was okay, but I didn't find this one to be funny or engaging at all, and I've enjoyed many movies that many people loathe. I'm actually a fan of bad acting, bad dialogue and general silliness.

Since the movie had received mostly positive reviews, I kept watching, thinking it must be me, I must be tired or something, or I must be jealous of all the stars, etc. Nope, bad is just bad and this was the worse movie I've seen in a long time.

Comment

Actually, the only part I liked (and laughed at) was Tess impersonating Julia Roberts. The bits with Bruce Willis were good. The rest was boring as hell. And the scene with the French guy slipping through the lasers was ridiculously bad.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

with 10 names occupying at least 10 minutes of screen time, you can get just about anybody to buy a ticket and kill 100 minutes. this movie sucked big time....and the impersonating julia roberts was a kind of deus ex machina!

Comment

I think they fell into the same trap as Sinatra and the others in the original. The movie was an excuse for a bunch of pals to hang out and party at the studio's expense.
              http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

It was a mess of a film, but it did look like they had fun making it.

Comment

I was underwhelmed. But, man, can Soderbergh make a shot look pretty. It could've been a European travelogue. You gotta give him that much.

I still hope they do 13 and redeem themselves. I like the natural structure of trilogies.

Ele...

Comment

Yep to all of the above.
                    Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

I'm glad I rented it.

But only because 1 I didn't pay 8 bucks to see it in the theater.

2 because Matt Damon is cute.

I could have saved myself 50 cents if I'd seen it at Movies 8 for a dollar.
                      Oh well, you live and you learn.
                      Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
                      by BellaBella

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978
                        But, man, can Soderbergh make a shot look pretty. It could've been a European travelogue. You gotta give him that much.
                        I hated the way this film was shot. There are at least a couple of scenes where it looks like whoever was handling the camera had no idea what they were doing.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                        - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Originally posted by velysai
                          I hated the way this film was shot. There are at least a couple of scenes where it looks like whoever was handling the camera had no idea what they were doing.
                          soderbergh should fire peter andrews
                          If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Originally posted by English Dave
                            I think they fell into the same trap as Sinatra and the others in the original. The movie was an excuse for a bunch of pals to hang out and party at the studio's expense.
                            The Rat Pack certainly partied hard while making it, some of the scenes Sinatra was supposed to be in had to be covered by others. But at least it was a great snapshot of Vegas during that era, and we got to hear Sammy sing the cool song, "E-O Eleven"!

Incidentally, Clooney has purchased the rights to another Rat Pack film, "Robyn and the Seven Hoods." He'll probably ruin that one too.

Comment

Working...
                            X