X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornelius Pug
    replied
    Re: Lost in Translation

Amazing, isn't it, that a two year old movie can still generate six page threads. Says something about it.

After all the negative feedback from DD two years ago I didn't even bother going to see it. My bad. Saw it on DVD a year ago, and was blown away. It's a brilliantly observed study of alienation. Having lived overseas there were so many ah'ha! moments, particularly the mistranslation with the Japanese director and the 'lip my tights' scene. Hysterical. I lived in northern China over 20 years ago, before China opened up to the West, and I know what alienation feels like. LIT perfectly captured the pain and the humour.

Cornelius.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Schuster
    replied

Oh, right. I forgot. That wasn't the incident in Murray Hill, was it.

Leave a comment:

• Hairy Lime
    replied

What happened to, "What happens in the Village stays in the Village", Jake?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Schuster
    replied

Hairy: "Oh, I drink."

I'd better go, too. Last time I drank with Hairy we had a hell of a time running him down on Second Avenue, then getting him dressed, putting him in a cab, paying off the old folks he lashed out at. It was sad. Very sad. He's really a nice guy early in the day.

Leave a comment:

• refriedwhiskey
    replied

JarJar, I just laid in a supply of 40 good but cheap cigars, which came with another 10 free ones. They'll need some time in the humidor before they're worth sharing, though.

Leave a comment:

• refriedwhiskey
    replied

It wasn't bad for a Wong Kar-Wai rip off.
    NoTalent, have you met Biohazard?

Leave a comment:

• refriedwhiskey
    replied

What's not to get. Simply didn't like it.
    Sorry, I misread your post as saying you didn't get it rather than "It's not that I didn't get it."

"Didn't like it" is fine, too.

It's only stuff like suggesting the title triggers a narcoleptic response in you that gets you hyperbole in return.

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied

I'm not much of a drinker, as a rule, but I do enjoy the taste of a smooth bourbon occasionally...straight up. As for getting screenwriting feedback on the internet from complete strangers who are for the most part clueless, well, as soon as I meet some, I'll be sure and let them know.

Leave a comment:

• jessejames
    replied

See, cool guys are going out drinkin. I don't want to be a frat boy, but man I need a drink. Too bad I still don't like this movie, guess I drink alone tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Insanity In A Jar
    replied

Also, just based on his posts in this thread, Aaron is invited.

(It would probably be best if we avoided the topic of getting screenwriting feedback on the internet from complete strangers who are, for the most part, clueless. lol)

Also, RefriedWhiskey is invited, but only if he brings some good cigars.

And Erehwon is invited, but only if he promises not to drink all the scotch.

Leave a comment:

• Insanity In A Jar
    replied

Excellent.

Though, I think it would be best if we agreed to avoid the topic of "we see."

/big grin

Leave a comment:

• Hairy Lime
    replied

Originally posted by Insanity In A Jar
    Hairy -

One of these days I want to talk film with you over drinks (and if you don't drink, that's fine... I will) for hours and hours and hours.

Of course, we'll eventually get to the subject of Million Dollar Baby, and I'll have to struggle with drunken thoughts to form a coherent argument about why it's one of the best films made this decade. But I'll convince you. I will.

Tony
    Oh, I drink.

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied

Don't worry, Deus. For every Lost in Translation that gets made, there'll be at least a dozen Gator Bait IIs...thus guaranteeing a steady supply of accessible cinema for the masses.

Leave a comment:

• Insanity In A Jar
    replied

Hairy -

One of these days I want to talk film with you over drinks (and if you don't drink, that's fine... I will) for hours and hours and hours.

Of course, we'll eventually get to the subject of Million Dollar Baby, and I'll have to struggle with drunken thoughts to form a coherent argument about why it's one of the best films made this decade. But I'll convince you. I will.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• Hairy Lime
    replied

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machine
    And what does "commercially viable" mean?
    It means you can invest $4M in the art film being criticized in this thread and make $44,566,004 domestic box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X