X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Red Line

Nick was robbed of an Oscar for this. Robbed blind

Re: Thin Red Line

Most pretentious, tedious WWII movie in the history of ever.

Comment

possibly. The narrative is a mess for sure. but it has many moving, profound sequences. I hated it the first time I saw it, now it draws me in everytime I see it. Nolte's performance is fantastic

Comment

This is one of those movies that needs to be seen at least twice before you can appreciate it. I hated it at first. I thought it was tedious and had too much voiceover.

After repeat viewings, I still think this.

But...Nolte does some of his best acting ever and Jim Caviezel does a hell of a job too. Add to that, the star power of Jon Cusack, Sean Penn, Woody Harrelson, John Travolta, and many others and you can't help but be interested in watching these actors relate to one another.

In addition to the wonderful acting, the cinemetography and directing is top notch too. There's a lot to like here. It could've used another good battle scene and the film should've been shortened by 10 or 20 minutes, but if you can exercise some patience, you can surely find something about the film to like.

Comment

The score is a masterpiece

Caviezel is so otherworldly human in this...you can see what caught Mel Gibson's eye when he was thinking about an actor to play JC. The sequence toward the end where he's encircled by the jap soldiers and enters that zone of calm he was talking about throughout just before he buys it is one of my favorite scenes ever on film.

Comment

Nolte and Caviezel were very good. Don't forget about Brody, though - his performance was also great in this, I thought. Woody Harelson had a great death scene in this, too.

I didn't mind the lack of structure in the narrative. What was distracting to me about this movie was ALL the star cameos...when Travolta popped up it really got to the point of overkill - as if they were inventing goofy but supposedly vital tiny roles for stars to play...was silly to me.

I liked this movie, overall. Most people i know hate it.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Clooney was excellent.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

This was a brilliant film, one of my favs.

It's not about the story, TRL is all about the mood.

I love how it has so many simple, yet great scenes... Caviezel walking thru the burnt out house -'I still see a spark in you', or talking to Penn in the grass, or the attack on the village... Brilliant.

It's just the way it's framed by Toll and the way Zimmer's music complements it that makes it so, well... moooody!:P

Comment

I also liked seeing John Savage in his role which was similar to the one he played in The Deer Hunter. Different wars, but both characters on the brink of madness.

BTW, Mickey Rourke also had a role in this film but his scenes were deleted.

Comment

This would be a really great 100-minute movie. But it's a godawful 170 minute movie.

How many interminable shots of blowing grass does a film need? And the VO!

"What is this war in nature?"
                    Beat.
                    Beat.
                    Beat.
                    Beat.
                    Beat.
                    "Why do the trees..."

It's like Malick wanted to make up for his hiatus by making a film that felt 30 years long.
                    They cursed us forever, making us prefer dreams to lives.

Comment

It's like Malick wanted to make up for his hiatus by making a film that felt 30 years long.
                      Fvckin' A!

Comment

I didn't like the voice overs. But, other than that, I found the film fascinating.

Comment

i thought it was a very engaging movie with many compelling moments and deeply disturbing moments layered with texture. the voice over did the exact opposite of the rule, basically explaining what we saw.

thought it worked.

vig

Comment

poetic redneck meditation...it grows on you. see it again refried, B-Cup. you'll see the light

Comment

I'll watch it again, sure...

...some time after I give Mulholland Drive another shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X