Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Night Live

I am one of those in the minority who think that Saturday Night Live is an institution that should never be cancelled. I do think that perhaps it's time for Lorne Michaels to hand the show over to someone else (but I can't really see that happening).

Sure the show has it's good eras and bad ones (i read that other thread down below, where is the love for Will Ferrel?....I still say 'Gotta have more cowbell' at least once a week). As a Yankees fan, sitting though the bad eras is the only way I get to feel what it must be like to be an Orioles fan.

Last night's show was particularly bad. It would have been mediocre if it aired sometime in February, but the fact that the writers have had six months to make with the funny and came up empty is troubling.

The opening skit was someone doing a Bush impression (like the 50th person on the show to do it) and it just doesn't work. Showing actual clips of Bush speaking is way way funnier.

Anyway, I won't recap the whole show, but the first three or four skits were all satarizing current events (Hurricane Katrina, Jet Blue). Which is fine, but if you don't have an interesting perspective on it why bother? Just because it's topical doesn't make it funny.

Where are the characters? Where's Church Lady, or the Effeminate Heterosexual or Gumby or even Brian Fellows? The only recurring character was Debbie Downer (who I don't love, but her reaction shots always make me chuckle, I can't help it) and that was late in the show.

They introduced 2 new cast members, both male, both white, both look barely out of college. One of them does impressions, which I have always though of as kind of hack. Chevy Chase did a great Gerald Ford every week, without ever trying to look or sound like him.

I like Fred Armisan a lot,(like that skit he does where he's the drummer behind a hack comic and always plays the rimshot too late...genius) but enough with the music skits. We're glad you're a musician (aren't like 90% of all comics?) but please do something else. Except that latin drummer guy. Thats funny.

Steve Carrell was the host. But you never would have known it. He got less facetime than Horatio Sans.

As usual, the commercial parodies were funny. Always are. And whoever does those Fun with Audio and Saturday TV Funhouse cartoons. Why can't they just hire people like that to write SNL?

Weekend Update was awful. Come back Tina Fey.

Anyway, it's going to be another sub .500 season, but I'll be there.

Re: Saturday Night Live

I miss J Fal. And now Tina Fey is gone? Yikes. Fred Armison is good, and Will Forte is pretty funny. I *love* Seth Meyers' impression of John Kerry. That's the one reason I wouldn't have been disappointed if Kerry had won the election - more Seth Meyers' Kerry!
    ~* Kelsey *~

http://kelseytalksaboutmovies.blog.com/

Comment

Tina Fey is on maternity leave. She'll be back. Hopefully she is still writing for them in between diapers.

Comment

Ah, that's right. I forgot that she was pregnant...so who is doing Weekend Update these days?
        ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

The blonde girl (sorry I don't know her name, she was in Mean Girls) and Horatio Sanz. Ouch. He couldn't keep a straight face if you were burning him with a hot poker.

I have heard that the writers are not to proud to steal freelance gags for Weekend Update if you know the right fax number to send them to. You won't get paid, but it would be fun to have on a resume.

Comment

Terrible POS installment that was only a marginal improvement from last year.

It's pretty awesome how The Daily Show can manage to be funny four days a week - which essentially equates to one SNL episode - while this anchor can only cough up one semi-clever sketch every few months. I like to fast forward through to see what ticklish cameo they can muster (Mike Myers this week, Tony Soprano last year), despite the fact they never actually do anything substantial with them.

New Guy #2 has a friggin' anvil for a chin. His face bothers me.

Token Fatty is just terrible, and not terrible in a charming, Colin Quinn sort of way. He's entirely too infatuated with his mediocre abilities.

I actively dislike the hubris of the show and its willingness to be so openly bad.

Comment

it's been bad for five years now, at least. last night was pitiful. haracio is a mockery.

vig

Comment

I like Horatio Sanz when he's "looking for Papi", lol. My sister and I mock that all the time!

I never liked Amy Poehler when she was on WU, even with Tina Fey. They should get Will Forte to do it.
                ~* Kelsey *~

Comment

I missed the first two sketches...came in around the CNN Katrina thing...I thought it was actually much better than last season. I know that's not saying much -- last season was the bottom of the barrell for SNL. But still an improvement. I thought Carell was one of the most natural hosts in a while. He's welcome back. I thought the Mike Myers cameo and generally that whole intro of Kanye had great humor and energy. Really made the show feel alive. I think Hader will get a lot of mileage out of his impressions...he is damn good at them. The other new guy is freakish.

As for update, I think they need to can the faux lesbo shtick and get a man and a woman again. Sanz sucked, but I certainly don't miss Fey. She may be a talented writer but I find her to be such an egotistical smart-ass. But then again, anybody's better than Jimmy Fallon in Update.

I have some strong hopes for this season. So far, they haven't made me want to smash my TV set.

Ele....

Comment

Hader's impression of Pacino was the best I've ever seen. Spot on.
                    Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

I just finished watching a retrospective of SNL the first five years. It's amazing what sharp writing and brilliant performances will deliver. I've always been bothered by the obvious reading of the cue cards but back in the day they made it look seemless and seemed to be much freer with the comedy and taking risks. Perhaps Lorne should step aside and let more rebels in.

Comment

I can't believe I watched this crap last night. Somehow I thought it might be good because I am a fan of Steve Carrell. But the ideas and the writing is still awful.
                        The guy who did Anderson Cooper was terrible. I was not convinced at all. The guy who did Bush........WTF was that?
                        I can do a better impression. It's not funny. The news is dreadful.

The only reason to watch is to see Smigel's cartoons.
                        I'll give it one more watch next week to see Napoleon Dynamite.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

You know it's going down the shltter when people start to mourn the loss of Jimmy "unfunny" Fallon.

Tina Fey, she should have twenty babies and then die live on air squeezing out the last of her equally humourless spawn, as she gags to spit out a final bloated punchline before Jimmy Fallon, crouched over her, defecates in her mouth.

That's what the show needs. I think I'd tune in for that.
                          ENNIS spits in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

Comment

I agree Steve Carrell was totally wasted.

Horatio Sans is the least funny\iest fat guy to ever get a gig

But Kanye West gave one of the best musical performances ever! (And Mike Myers' appearance made me realize how much I miss his humor every week)

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

It used to be that I would watch SNL regardless of the host because the cast was funny. Last weekend I tuned in praying that the host would make the show funny in spite of the cast.

Comment

Working...
                              X