Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Lotus

Non-spoiler take -- excellent performances from the cast all around. But if you're purporting to subvert or recenter tropes in TV/movies about previously marginalized groups, it can feel like perpetuation if they remain marginalized at the end of your story.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-16-2021, 07:00 AM. Reason: Added tags

I don't think there was any intention to subvert any tropes. I read the show as being heavily grounded in realism. A throwback in a lot of ways to post-war Italian film and some American indies from the 70s. The idea is to hold a mirror to class as a form of social commentary. Now if the characters somehow broke out of their social reality it would cease to be realism at all. It would be run-of-the-mill Hollywood hero stuff. Where a protagonist for example, is always the smartest person in the room, or the only one that can achieve whatever goal. The realism becomes clear when the crop of guests leave and the staff are waiting on the beach for the next crop so they can put on fake smiles and do it all over again.

I really liked the show and for a purely character-driven show with almost no real plot it seemed to do really well. The main driving force of the show was time. There was the set-up of a death in the first episode, and I suppose it kept people guessing, but to me it was the least interesting part of the show. I had friends whose TV appetite is mostly reality stuff who were really into the show. It was renewed for a second season. Hopefully the new ensemble and story can live up to this first iteration.

Comment

Working...
    X