No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious

Hi all,
    I wanted to post today about something I have been curious about and wanted to get others thoughts on it.

Long ago, television series' had many episodes per season. Some examples are, Dallas (the original series that ran from the 70s-90s) had an average of about 25 episodes per season. Also Quincy, M.E. had an average of about 22 episodes per season.

Nowadays, most series (streaming and on TV) run about 8-10 episodes per season.

So I was wondering myself if this is because of either:

1. Producers cut the number of episodes so they can have more seasons. Kind of like saying, "Hey, this series is going great because we have 3 seasons (of 8 eps each)", but if it ran like they did long ago it would barely have one season which looks bad.

or

2. Writers just can't come up with enough material to warrant having over 20 eps. per season now.

I don't know. Honestly, it probably has something to do with money more than likely.

What do you think happened to cause series to dwindle down to just a handful of eps. per season instead of packing lots of story into each season?

It's a shame and maybe responsible for Netflix's supposed propensity for canceling programs early — they haven't given an eight episode series a chance to find its feet whereas a twenty episode one might gather a groundswell of support through social media or whatever.

I guess though, a short series is ideal for binge watching and that suits the modern surfing on their phone, chatting audience

I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X