Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Offer

The Offer, now showing on Paramount Plus, owns some great acting from perfect casting to recreate the ordeal that was the production of the movie The Godfather.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Started watching it this morning. Pretty fun. Grown up Miles Teller is BEEFY!

Comment

It's a first for me to see Miles Teller's acting ability. I've missed everything he's been in up until now. He's perfect for this role.

Comment

He was outstanding in the wonderful “Whiplash” but also very teen heartthobbesque. Here he’s got 70s sexy man vibe on thick.

while this setup is very specific to Ruddy’s experience with The Godfather, it’s not hard to imagine a more fictitious Madmen style show in this vein. Each season could run through a decade at a made up movie studio highlighting the ways Hollywood has evolved but keeping it sexy and fun.

Comment

Hm. Based on his face, our talent scouts see Miles Teller playing Robert Mitchum in that future biopic, or any remake of a Robert Mitchum classic film.

How about that Episode 5, eh? I'm really going to miss Giovanni Ribisi when they "make his character disappear." He's one actor that's nailed his part every time he's been on screen. In each and every movie he's been in, he's hit the mark on the character he portrayed. Remember Flight of the Phoenix (2004)? Eighteen years ago! Whoa.

Comment

Because of this show, The Offer, I watched The Godfather today. I recall seeing it when it came out; my parents always took us to movies regardless of the rating.

The Godfather endures as a great film. I wonder how today's woke and cancel cultures would sanitize it for today's audiences? And who really cares now? Thank goodness that didn't happen back then(as much).

​​​​​​​Next up: The Godfather II and The Godfather III.

Comment

Well let's hope this lost subplot makes it's into the eventual remake one day

https://the-toast.net/2014/10/09/ple...ot-big-vagina/

Comment

Thanks to the show The Offer, I re-watched all three of The Godfather movies. My subscriptions didn't give me the (free) version of The Godfather III, so instead I watched the re-edited The Godfather III Coda. Coppola changed only the opening shot and the ending, but the change of the ending is, for me, the most significant (as intended, I'm certain).

Thank you, Francis Ford Coppola! What a brilliant idea! Now, if I have my bearings correct, The Godfather IV is a distinct possibility. With us we have Al Pacino, Andy Garcia, John Savage, and Talia Shire, so why not bring The Godfather into the 21st century? It's still relevant in today's world, given all the ongoing political and underworld skulduggery.

What would prevent it from happening is today's studio system. The Godfather came out in 1972. The Godfather II, in 1974. A one-two punch; bada bing, bada boom. Then, however, it took SIXTEEN YEARS (😱) before the studio made The Godfather III in 1990. Any momentum the second of the sequels hoped to rekindle had long since dissipated. A half-hearted attempt at a TV series in 1977 was only a re-edited version of The Godfather and The Godfather II told in chronological order and with added footage.

If the studio fast-tracked it today, I believe a movie such as The Godfather IV would do great at the box office. With Andy Garcia as Don Corleone taking the reins from Al Pacino, and him running a whole new cast of underlings to carry on the family traditions in today's business and social climate, the storyline could go in a modern direction. The Godfather IV would spawn either a limited series or a series based on these characters.

The Offer details the making of the movie The Godfather, but what I want to see is the Corleones in the 21st century. 2¢.

Comment

I'm going to make a point to watch this. Coming from Italian/Sicilian heritage, the mafia is of interest to me.

I've read a number of books over the years and one point is repeated: the mafia was able to take hold because the US essentially ignored the victimization of this group of immigrants.

Add to this, Sicily was considered worthless by mainland Italy. During a food shortage in Sicily, the government said: let them starve. Which is why the mafia took hold in Sicily long before the wave of Sicilian immigrants came to the US.

When the government fails to protect a marginalized racial or ethnic group, it creates an opportunity for criminals. It happens over and over again.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                    I'm going to make a point to watch this. Coming from Italian/Sicilian heritage, the mafia is of interest to me.

I've read a number of books over the years and one point is repeated: the mafia was able to take hold because the US essentially ignored the victimization of this group of immigrants.

Add to this, Sicily was considered worthless by mainland Italy. During a food shortage in Sicily, the government said: let them starve. Which is why the mafia took hold in Sicily long before the wave of Sicilian immigrants came to the US.

When the government fails to protect a marginalized racial or ethnic group, it creates an opportunity for criminals. It happens over and over again.
                    Too true. I'm enjoying "The Offer" as someone who likes behind-the-scenes stories. Matthew Goode better get an Emmy nomination as Bob Evans while Dan Fogler is delightful as Francis Ford Coppola.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

My 2¢: The last two episodes seemed to lose the momentum of the first eight episodes. The writers wrapped everything in a neat package by the end, though, even with all the “telling.”

Comment

Working...
                      X