The Curse

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Curse

    I just finished this show. 10 episodes. I've never seen anything like it. It's mostly just uncomfortable interactions mostly mocking those couples who have TV shows about fix/flip houses on HGTV to the extreme, but that is really just a small portion of it even if that's the main plot.. ending you can't predict... and great acting by Emma Stone and Nathan Fielder and Benny Safdie.

    I just need someone else to talk about this show with right now.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I just finished this show. 10 episodes. I've never seen anything like it. It's mostly just uncomfortable interactions mostly mocking those couples who have TV shows about fix/flip houses on HGTV to the extreme, but that is really just a small portion of it even if that's the main plot.. ending you can't predict... and great acting by Emma Stone and Nathan Fielder and Benny Safdie.

    I just need someone else to talk about this show with right now.
    I watched the whole thing. I personally loved it. It was from the David Lynch school of filmmaking, and I'm surprised it was made, because it was uncomfortable to watch.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's usually not my thing at all -- but I really liked it. But I don't know why fully! I guess I'll have to email you all my questions. I'm not sure there was one character I liked as a person fully.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bono View Post
        It's usually not my thing at all -- but I really liked it. But I don't know why fully! I guess I'll have to email you all my questions. I'm not sure there was one character I liked as a person fully.
        All three leads were great, but I found the one played by Benny to be the most fascinating. Hit me up in email!

        Comment


        • #5
          I can’t handle cringe. I like Sacha Baron Cohen but feel like that’s in a different category. I didn’t like Nathan For You or the Rehearsal. Reviews made this one sound slow so I knew my wife wouldn’t watch but maybe it’s a treadmill thing I will do on my own. Is it better than the Rehearsal?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Satriales View Post
            I can’t handle cringe. I like Sacha Baron Cohen but feel like that’s in a different category. I didn’t like Nathan For You or the Rehearsal. Reviews made this one sound slow so I knew my wife wouldn’t watch but maybe it’s a treadmill thing I will do on my own. Is it better than the Rehearsal?
            I never watched Nathan For You, saw some of The Rehearsal which was a cooler idea to think about than watch, but this one is a real plot/story at least. I finished it and binged the whole thing. It's a weird mix of cringe, drama, thriller, comedy. So I'm not a Nathan does everything great going in.

            I'm still thinking about, so I think it's worth your time. Nathan is a great actor in this, Emma face is crazy good she says so damn much with it, but I agree Benny is the best... first time I've see him... I never watched Uncut Gems and now I want to see everything he's done. The character Benny plays looks like Penn from Penn and Teller to me and that made me love him right away.

            There is literally a scene where Nathan makes a noise that is supposed to be funny but it's somehow perfect in how unfunny it is and I don't think I'll ever get it out of my head.

            And the ending -- well crap -- that finale is worth it alone just to talk about. So you may very well hate every single second of this show and still enjoy talking about it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I never saw the Rehearsal, but I have seen Uncut Gems (which I loved) and this show has that kind of tension -- like the tone is dread. This show is not for everyone. It's the opposite of Friends.

              Comment


              • #8
                I haven’t seen it but just read this —
                http://scriptshadow.net/the-curse-ho...ne-dead-wrong/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Scriptshadow's review is fair enough. He gets a detail wrong. It's not set in California, it's set in New Mexico where there are conflicts over tribal land. That detail is a big part of the story, and I'm surprised he missed it. But I agree with his main points. The show does subvert expectations. I never saw the ending coming either, but it didn't feel inorganic. The show starts off like a traditional prestige TV drama thing, one you'd see on HBO. Every episode gets more weird until by the final episode, you're trapped in a David Lynch experience.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it takes place in Espanola, New Mexico which I didn't look up unitl right now to see if it was real or not. I swear the name was perfect for what dumb white people like me would call this place. It's only said 1000 times and put on screen non stop during the series.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                      Scriptshadow's review is fair enough. He gets a detail wrong. It's not set in California, it's set in New Mexico where there are conflicts over tribal land. That detail is a big part of the story, and I'm surprised he missed it. But I agree with his main points. The show does subvert expectations. I never saw the ending coming either, but it didn't feel inorganic. The show starts off like a traditional prestige TV drama thing, one you'd see on HBO. Every episode gets more weird until by the final episode, you're trapped in a David Lynch experience.
                      You shouldn’t be surprised he missed it. He’s not a serious person.

                      “Don’t worry it’s not woke!” Total loser.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Satriales View Post

                        You shouldn’t be surprised he missed it. He’s not a serious person.

                        “Don’t worry it’s not woke!” Total loser.
                        How do I know I'm a comedy writer. Because I already imagined the two of you stuck together in a house because of a storm, you hate his guts, then he reads your spec, loves its, offers to help, but you hate everything about him.... and this is a fictional version of you that hasn't made it yet, so you sort of do want his help, but the more time you spent with him, the more you want to kill him.

                        Do you think he calls his penis "the groundhog" because of the shadow thing?

                        (guess who is stuck at home for a snow day!!!)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bono View Post

                          How do I know I'm a comedy writer. Because I already imagined the two of you stuck together in a house because of a storm, you hate his guts, then he reads your spec, loves its, offers to help, but you hate everything about him.... and this is a fictional version of you that hasn't made it yet, so you sort of do want his help, but the more time you spent with him, the more you want to kill him.

                          Do you think he calls his penis "the groundhog" because of the shadow thing?

                          (guess who is stuck at home for a snow day!!!)
                          There’s also the Misery version where he kidnaps me and makes me write for him so he can finally make it and not be such a miserable POS who hates writers. 😠

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Satriales View Post

                            There’s also the Misery version where he kidnaps me and makes me write for him so he can finally make it and not be such a miserable POS who hates writers. 😠
                            I wrote a comedy Misery that a big agency refused to take out! I like that idea!

                            Edit -- wait i had another idea that was this --- a famous writer kidnaps her student to force her to write her new book as she has writer's block.... it's a solid idea!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bono View Post

                              I wrote a comedy Misery that a big agency refused to take out! I like that idea!
                              I do already have that story written. Well not that version…but a modern Misery.

                              But if someone wrote a comedic take with the bad guy named Parson Reid I would lay the odds that it would make the Black List.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X