No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book of Daniel

Who watched it?

I liked it a lot and will continue to. Thought it was funny and warm and oddly enough, not all that edgey.
    my webpage
    my blog

Re: Book of Daniel

I enjoyed it. I can't imagine how anyone can take it as being terribly offensive (except for those WANTING to be offended, want an excuse to grind their axe and wave it around)

It played here in Indy, and afterwards the local news interviewed six spokesmen for six churches: no one was offended, most praised it (I think the Episcopalian was one of the two women interviewed, she thought it was refreshing that it humanized religious issues)

I don't think they had what some here would stereotype as a 'flaming fundamentalist' ... but then, maybe there aren't actually as many of those around as some might think.

Nice show. Laid back Jesus (but God had better lines in Joan of Arcadia)
    sigpic
    "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
    that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
    -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

One son died of leukemia.
      One son is a adopted, Chinese girl chaser.
      One son is a gay overachiever.
      The daughter is an artistic drug dealer. (Her revelation that she wasn't doing drugs, but she was selling them was hilarious.)

The sister-in-law and the mistress thing was fvcked up.

I liked it. But I still miss Joan.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
      - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

I liked it. They hit those topics that affects just about everybody. But IMO, they played it a little safe. It is hard to believe that EVERYBODY (kids) in the family has a problem, and that the parents are still so loving, normal, and getting busy on a regular basis. Or is weekly not regular?
        They all look to me for help. I'm not gonna be here all my life!--Concerned Customer

Comment

Once again, it was just a bunch nitwits who b1tched before watching something. And they are called FoxNews anchors.

Having said that, I thought the show was only okay. The acting wasn't very good, but most first episodes are like that. I will reserve further comments until the next episode.
          www.one.org

Comment

They certainly dumped more dysfunction on us than seemed humanly possible in two hours, but I'm assuming that was to establish the world. I didn't think the acting was bad -- well, I thought Aidan Quinn is a pretty bad preacher, but an adequate priest. I loved the Chinese son and the daughter and a number of the minor characters are promising.

I'm an Episcopalian so saw a few places that were a bit off, but am willing to forgive that stuff.

I really did like the show and want to see where they go with it.
            my webpage
            my blog

Comment

It's a limited run series. There are seven episodes. At this time, no more are planned.

It would have to really take off in the ratings to change that. Instead, it did ratings not as good as what Trial By Jury, Medical Investigations and Third Watch got canceled for.

Comment

I guess the American Family Association didn't kick up enough dust.
                my webpage
                my blog

Comment

I know this is heresy, but I've never seen Desperate Housewives, so can't compare the tone to Book of Daniel (which I've heard is similar, no?).

But thinking back on it, it seems to me that some of the initial plot complications were only token -- like the daughter selling drugs. Looks great in the trailer, but we immediately discover she doesn't take drugs, isn't into the drug scene, and just needs some money to finance her manga. So by the end of the episode something that could have been a bad family prob is gone (although the relationship with the trash-picker-girl and the illegal software could come back to bite her, but still, that's nothing like drugs).

One son is gay, the other has raging hormones. Nothing new there.

The mom's drinking and the priest's Vicodin addiction seem more like quirks or props (theatrical props) or "cute foibles" than anything serious, because they both seem to be carrying on quite well despite them.

Or is this simply the tone of this type show, where nothing feels too serious, too dramatic?
                  my webpage
                  my blog

Comment

I liked the Chinese kid, though he seems a little too old to play a high school student.

Comment

I caught the last half of the second episode. To preface: I'm an Atheist but what kind of idiot finds this show offensive? We have documented cases in the real world of Catholic priests raping boys and people are up in arms about The Book of Daniel? All I saw was things that typical people may have to deal with in their lives (albeit not all in the same family). And, yes, I know they're Episcopalian and obviously immune to corruption.

I thought what I saw of the show was decent. I'll check it out next week before I give my final verdict. It seems destined for a short run anyway.

I'm paraphrasing Bill Hicks here but hopefully this will offend you religious nutters out there more than this show does: "When Jesus comes back, do you think he's going to want to see a ****ing cross?"

Comment

Interesting reactions, N-A. Actually the hardcore Christian right is already convinced that Episcopalians are corrupted to the core. We have a gay bishop who has been living with his partner for over 20 years, for starters.

I read that the writer was more about digging into the upper class WASPS rather than any particular denomination.

I liked the show again last night. I don't rank it up there with my faves, but the fact that I go out of my way to see it says something.

I do find it unsettling that the gay son has a bad haircut. Hasn't he read the handbook?
                        my webpage
                        my blog

Comment

I've seen the 2-hour premier and now this week's. It has potential but needs to move faster. There are too many scenes with the kids outing their gay brother at the dinner table. Ok, I get it already! Maybe the writers are just trying to get the audience up to speed. I'd also like to hear a little more out of Jesus! Quote some Bible verses or throw in a few references to Peter.

Comment

Failed to crack a 5 in the household rating in fast overnights, and got a measly 2.2 in the 18-49 demo.

I like that a network tried an interesting concept like this, an unusual show. And well cast.

But it won't be coming back after its limited run. Those numbers are abysmal.

Comment

Cancelled.

Back to Law & Order reruns.

Until new programming is available.

Comment

Working...
                              X