Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Finale For A TV Show

Wonder Years - Heartbreaking, endearing, nostalgic. Just having that voice over talk about his dad dying was like a sock in the gut. And hearing how he and Winnie never ended up together--all too real and empathetic cause we all had that great young love that eventually left our lives. A great ending to a great show...that's still not on DVD. Grrr...

Re: Best Finale For A TV Show

Quatum Leap.

A cool, surreal ending that didn't offer any real concrete answers, but just left the door open for more adventures of a different kind. If you didn't catch it, Sam made the leap back to himself, but instead of being home, he found himself in this strange little mining community populated by people that he had helped through the course of the series (kind of like the Nexus in Star Trek: Generations).

The bartender appeared to be God, or at least an angel, and informed Sam that he was never going home and that his missions were going to get harder for one reason: No more Al. As payback for all the times Al bailed Sam out, Sam made a jump- not into someone else, but as himself- to Al's wifes apartment during Vietnam. Sam tells her that Al is coming back and that she shouldn't go on without him, thus changing Al's destiny for the better.

It was cool. I think the final title card simply said something about how Al's life was better, and it ended with "Sam never returned."

I like the mystery of that...
    Goonies never say die!

Comment

Wonder Years did have a great finale. I loved it, and I wasn't even that regular a viewer.

I think my vote for all-time best finale has to go to M*A*S*H, though.

Comment

I would say Arrested Development. It brought a million of the show's recurring thoughts into one episode and tied everything together, tying it back to episode one of the series. It really proved that Mitch had a grand plan for this show all along. Wonderful finale.

I second that with the finale of Angel. It was dark, dirty, exciting, and it just tore your heart out. Watching these characters sacrifice themselves (both physically and internally) to simply halt a war on evil that can't be won was incredible. And that last shot with our heroes in the midst of battle was not only proper of their mission, but also left us wanting more. I've never seen a series end at such a questionable moment of life or death. Joss really reminded everybody that this show went off the air a little too soon.

Ele...

Comment

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" with "Chosen" and "Angel" with "Not Fade Away", definitely.

Comment

Twin Peaks - Having the good Agent Cooper trapped in The Black Lodge and his evil doppelganger looose, posessed by Bob, Wow.
            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the final episode of Action played out. Killed in mid-first season, the thirteenth (and final) episode featured a thinly-veiled portrait of the Weinstein brothers that was sure to make a series of heads roll even if it wasn't the end of the show, and how Peter's desperate capitulation to their banal tastes culminate in his muse leaving him. As it plays out, this worked with the scant episodes as a complete storyline.

Hopefully on a whim, however, someone like Showtime could pick the show back up later in the game...
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
                It was Arrested Development.
                For once we agree on something.

Ele...

Comment

The West Wing, with Bartlet looking out the window and Abby asking him what he was looking at, "tomorrow", he replies. The most powerful man by title, now just an ordinary citizen. Great ending for a show that lost its way after Sorkin left.

Buffy, amazing ending. I wish Geller would stop making bad movies and return to this role.

Comment

NEWHART -- the second show, when he woke up next to Suzanne Pleshette.
                    my webpage
                    my blog

Comment

I agree on Quantum Leap. That episode was fascinatingly bizzare and surprisingly moving.

I also thought that Star Trek: The Next Generation had an interesting finale with Picard getting unstuck in time "Slaughterhouse Five" style as a result of Q. It created three narratives, all engaging.

I'm not even a sci-fi TV fan.

Comment

Begins and ends with ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. Lock thread, next subject.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatTire
                          Buffy, amazing ending.
                          Agreed.

Comment

Which? The show's end, or its star's?

Comment

Angel had an awesome ending. I agree, I would want to fight the dragon.

Though I was usually bored with the show, Quantum Leap had a really cool ending.

MASH though was the best I can think of. I t was always good.

Magnum PI had a really good one as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X