X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Entourage" boys grown up?

Sounds a little "meh" to me.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Doug Ellin has sold HBO his next comedy series, which explores the question, "What if the guys on 'Entourage' grew up?"

"Entourage" creator-exec producer Ellin is writing an untitled half-hour he described to Daily Variety as a "mature version of 'Entourage' set on Wall Street." The action revolves around a fortysomething hedge fund trader and his circle of guy pals.

Project is the first to emerge from Ellin's overall development deal with HBO, which renewed "Entourage" for a fourth season last month.

Ellin will exec produce the pilot with Stephen Levinson. Idea was hatched by the pair after they realized several of their friends from college -- "regular, fraternity brother-type guys," Ellin said -- were banking $40 million-$50 million a year on Wall Street.

"They make Vince look like a peasant," Ellin joked.

"I wanted to do a show that deals with these men who are making obscene amounts of money at a young age," he said. "It's a comedy, but it will be more mature than 'Entourage.' The characters will be dealing with grown-up issues such as marriage, getting older and working within the professional ranks."

A script is in the works and Ellin cites several real-life situations as the basis for the pilot.

"New money -- the kind you don't inherit -- puts you on a different stratosphere, and that's what I think will be interesting in this show," Ellin said, adding the group of friends will comprise both wealthy and middle-class guys. "What happens when you've made all of this money? What kind of stress does it put on your relationships?"

Endeavor-repped Ellin just wrapped the second half of the third season of "Entourage," which will bow next year.

Re: "Entourage" boys grown up?

Ellin needs a new bag of tricks, IMO. He hardly has enough to keep Entourage afloat lately.

Ele...

Comment

so now he's openly making a sex and the city for men.

i dunno, it all depends on the execution, i guess, but this seems like a "been there, done that" kinda thing.

Comment

Agreed.

Incidentally, for anyone who missed Season One, HBO has the first four episodes On Demand, and the next four will be along in a couple weeks.

I'd never caught those first few shows and wasn't sure what to expect. They're great, and the characters already seem fully developed. Highly recommended.
        Eric: You're meeting the director and you haven't prepared? What are you gonna do?
        Vince: I'm going to listen. That's what any good actor does, right, Drama?
        Drama: What?

k

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
          so now he's openly making a sex and the city for men.
          Which is what ENTOURAGE has been called by some in the first place.

Also, didn't Darren Star follow-up SEX AND THE CITY with a Wall Street-themed show that tanked?

Comment

A-ha! Knew it....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247135/

Comment

Wall Street's a tough sell in my opinion. It's boring to those who don't understand it (hell, even to those who do). It's hard to watch a bunch of A-holes with all that money walk around in fancy suits.

Entourage had the good fortune of showing something pretty much everybody gets -- celebrity. You can't escape it.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                Wall Street's a tough sell in my opinion. It's boring to those who don't understand it (hell, even to those who do). It's hard to watch a bunch of A-holes with all that money walk around in fancy suits.

Entourage had the good fortune of showing something pretty much everybody gets -- celebrity. You can't escape it.

Ele...
                Bingo-bango, Ele. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                  Which is what ENTOURAGE has been called by some in the first place.

Also, didn't Darren Star follow-up SEX AND THE CITY with a Wall Street-themed show that tanked?
                  actually ive heard them admit that entourage is nowhere near the level (what level??) of S&C, and that they could only hope to achieve that critical acclaim.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
                    actually ive heard them admit that entourage is nowhere near the level (what level??) of S&C, and that they could only hope to achieve that critical acclaim.
                    It's not exactly appealing to the same demo, either. (Though I freely admit -- though perhaps I shouldn't -- I did watch SEX during its run on HBO...)

I'd put Vince and the boys against Carrie and the girls any day of the week in terms of quality...just not this season!

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                      Wall Street's a tough sell in my opinion. It's boring to those who don't understand it (hell, even to those who do).
                      Ele...
                      True that. I've tried to write about that stuff, and it's extremely difficult to keep it interesting. It takes endless exposition just to set up a scene. I'm guessing they won't even bother to delve into how they make the money - just how they spend it.

Comment

Am I the only one excited for the show? Anyone watch the show Traders? It was an awesome show and the first show that David Shore created.

Comment

Working...
                        X