No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why TV is better than the movies

from Newsweek

Doesn't say anything that people haven't been saying for a while, but says it quite strongly:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17200496/site/newsweek/

Re: Why TV is better than the movies

Just read it. Great article. I agree that the Sopranos opened up a lot of eyes as to what's possible on TV.
    "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

I think film and television can be equally great and can also be equally horrible; I don't think one has it over the other as they both have their distinct pluses and minuses.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
        I think film and television can be equally great and can also be equally horrible; I don't think one has it over the other as they both have their distinct pluses and minuses.
        True, but I think TV has the capacity to be far superior... although it depends on the person I guess.

I just love TV because it's like watching your favorite movie over and over, but new scenarios or a longer story. They get to flesh more out, you get to know about the characters, see more of the action, and not have to be upset when it's over because there is always next episode.

The downside to this could be that the show could get dragged out, but if you have good writers, this won't happen and it'll be great every time you watch the show.

Sure, movies are great, but it's just an hour or two you are watching, and they have to cut and trim things that might have been interesting otherwise, you only get to see part of the story.. on TV you can explore far, far mopre... and it's really the writers dream too.

I love TV and movies, but I'd take an amazing TV show over movies anyday. Especially now where movies coming out suck and I get sick of the old (but great) ones.

Comment

I bet that article was written 5 years ago but not released until after 7th Heaven was off the air.

There is a lot of great tv on now and in the recent past: The Wire, Six Feet Under, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, The Shield, My Name Is Earl, etc.

But there's also a lot of horrible tv, such as CSI Miami, CSI NY, Ghost Whisperer, mostly all half-hour sitcoms, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid View Post
            True, but I think TV has the capacity to be far superior... although it depends on the person I guess.

It absolutely depends on the person because I respectfully completely disagree. I think both are equal in their strengths and weaknesses but in obviously different ways. I don't think TV has ever surpassed film in quality and I don't think film has ever surpassed TV in quality.

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
              Bad TV and bad movies are equally horrible, they don't even merit discussion. There's enough out there to make you scratch your eyes out. But the good, good TV versus film? Not even close.

Watch season's one through four (although it would be preferable to wait for season five to come out and finish the story) of The Wire and find me a better film about the decay of the American city... You can't even come close.

And in THE LAST TEN years, was there...
              A better comedy than three seasons of Arrested Development? Or The Office? Or Extras? Or Curb Your Enthusiasm? Or It's Always Sunny? (All I can think of is Snatch and Old School).
              A better superhero film than Heroes is right now (all I can think of is Batman Begins).
              A better mob story than the first two seasons of The Sopranos? Or Brotherhood?
              A better job of dealing with the sustained effects and difficulties for the people on the ground floor of 9/11 than Rescue Me? (Has there even been a fictional film dealing with a troubled post 9/11 family?)
              A more intimate political drama than The West Wing?
              A better western than Deadwood?

No one knows whether it's a coincidence that television's renaissance and film's low point have come at the same time. But in the past ten years, there's no question as to which has the capacity for better things.

TV 1
              Film -2

Well, to each his/her own quite obviously, but I don't think there's any comparison between the two. They're just equal for me in both departments and I sure as hell can think of films that have made me laugh more then "Arrested Development", "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "It's Always Sunny" (although "The Office" certainly can be hilarious I find it at times to be overrated in its abilities).

If all of you who apparently are on the TV-over-movies side of the equation, why are you then writing screenplays (I at least assume some of you are)? It sounds like you'd be better off writing spec teleplays seeing as how you'd have more passion for that versus the other.
              Last edited by j over; 02-25-2007, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Err... wait. You didn't list any films...

Why would I? I have nothing to prove to anybody and I stated my opinion...I don't need to supply evidence to be personally validated. Plus, judging from past experience once I'd start naming some titles off people would come mocking (yes, that's not a spelling error) at the door saying how pathetic or unintelligent my tastes in comedy are. Not looking to be ridiculed here as I certainly respect other peoples' opinions.

Of course, now someone is going to say, "Oh, well since he didn't reply back with any specific movies then he must not be able to have thought of any which means I am RIGHT!" Whatever makes you feel special, I suppose.

Comment

I feel special either way. But it does help your cause if you can cite critically well regarded films that are to your taste. I'm a TV loyalist and I can easily name 40-50 shows on par with any film. Nor can your taste be criticized anymore than anyone else's (sans mine as I'm right 99.9% of the time).

Well, I'm a film/TV loyalist. I love movies and I love televison. Actually, I'm just an art loyalist, period and many people don't seem to care that everyone's taste is valid as they rip and rank on them all the time. Also, critics don't seem to do much for many moviegoers or TVgoers as well. I actually find them quite helpful many times but I appear to be not one of many.

Comment

I prefer sculpture to oil painting.

Painters are pussies.

Their medium is inferior.

Comment

Lips, you can't say that. Art is art and none of it is better than any of the rest of it.

When it comes down to it, movies are equal to TV, but what really gets me every time is the greeting card industry.

More laughs, more tears, more tension and more redemption. Bonus: usually $2.95 instead of $9.50. Pass the popcorn!

Comment

I changed my mind. Sculpture is no longer my favorite artistic medium, taking a back seat to greeting cards. Thanks for pulling the wool from my eyes, bro-ham.

But, painters are still pussies.

Comment

And the newer ones with the computer chips that play a little song when you open the card? Now, that's entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
                            When it comes down to it, movies are equal to TV

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                              Agreed.
                              Ummm ... I was kidding. That kind of even-handed, wishy-washy, "it's all good" aesthetic bothers the heck out me.

Comment

Working...
                              X