This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Imus Fallout: Who Can Say What?

I really don't get this argument. Doesn't this follow the whole "the freedom to swing your arms ends at someone's face" line of thinking? What if someone called his (possibly non-existent) daughters a couple of blonde haired 5 dollar whores... I think he would be pretty upset. He said horrible things and advertisers pulled funding so they fired him.

A better question is, why the hell is Glen Beck still on?

Re: The Imus Fallout: Who Can Say What?

Seriously. The biggest shock of this whole incident is that Imus gets fired, but Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are still on the air. Is that because this kind of behavior is expected from conservative "personalities," or that it's more acceptable to their primary audience?

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
    It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
    -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Imus is an idiot, but that doesn't set him apart. I think his carcass was in certain sites for awhile.

I keep thinking how Jon Stewart and Colbert finally equal the balance with the radio saturation that right wing-nuts have enjoyed for awhile now. It's no surprise that the two victims of political correctness gone ape are Imus and Bill Maher -- both liberal.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy... just a lot more "tolerance" for speech in one direction. I'm not happy with what Imus said... I just fear for a new climate of pc jihad.

A book I happen to be reading from literary critic A. Alvarez brought up a stunning quote from Orwell:

"If thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought."

By artificially limiting the range and mobility of speech, we not only constict the freedom to think, weigh and value but also to express our true thoughts which can then be addressed.

We're living in a world where the gap between what's said and what's really thought are wider than ever. I recoil every time I hear Hilary Clinton give a speech. It seems there's no middle ground between shouting and canning discourse.

That's a dangerous environment for society and one we as writers must be more aware of than anybody.
      I'm like an opening band for the sun.
      -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

If any worker worked a counter and called a customer what Imus said, their ass would have immediately skipped three times on its way across the threshold of the business. He was behind a counter... that was broadcast everywhere.

The dumbass deserves everything he gets... but... which will probably mean getting picked up by Sirius and given a hefty bonus.

Sort of makes me wonder if he had a contract he couldn't get out from under...
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

So, if Stewart and Colbert equal the balance, does that make them left-wing nuts?

And you do realize that it was two liberals, Sharpton and Jackson, who led the attack to have Imus fired, while Sean Hannity has gone on the air defending him?

And Limbaugh did lose his ESPN job for comments he made about Donavan McNabb, a black quarterback.
          Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
          Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
          Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

I hate Imus -- but this type of double standard is infuriating.

Carlos Mencia (Imus was trying to be funny) gets a free pass because he is a minority? How many other public figures have gotten away with far worse because they were minorities?

I'm sorry -- in the public forum, white men get fired for things that minorities with a public voice don't. It's fn' stupid.

Did I mention that I really can't stand Imus.

I'm not saying "don't fire Imus" -- I'm saying at least have the blls to fire everyone making these stupid baseless racially charged comments - and not just go after the white guys.
            "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ylekot43 View Post
              Carlos Mencia (Imus was trying to be funny) gets a free pass because he is a minority?
              Mencia should be fired for being an untalented unfunny joke thief.

And his real name is Ned and he is not a Mexican.

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
                Wait Imus was liberal?

Libertarian I believe, same with Bill Mahr.

But today it seems like there are 2 political parties, liberal and conservative. No middle ground.

Comment

Yeah, Imus is not a liberal. He just ain't. But he's not a mouthpiece for the GOP like O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh (who has admitted that's exactly what he is).

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                  It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                  -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by ylekot43 View Post
                    I hate Imus -- but this type of double standard is infuriating.

Carlos Mencia (Imus was trying to be funny) gets a free pass because he is a minority? How many other public figures have gotten away with far worse because they were minorities?

I'm sorry -- in the public forum, white men get fired for things that minorities with a public voice don't. It's fn' stupid.

Did I mention that I really can't stand Imus.

I'm not saying "don't fire Imus" -- I'm saying at least have the blls to fire everyone making these stupid baseless racially charged comments - and not just go after the white guys.
                    Exactly. Some of you might remember when Michael Irvin made racist comments on ESPN last year about Tony Romo.
                    "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete," Irvin said of Romo. "But he is. He is, man. I don't know if some brother down in that line somewhere, I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."
                    Patrick tried to suggest to Irvin that he shouldn't go there, but Irvin was having none of it, continuing:

"If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn, 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."
                    After saying this, did ESPN fire Michael Irvin? No... They gave him a free pass cause he's black. Apparently only white men can be considered racist.

This bullsh*t double standard has to end. If you're gonna fire guys like Imus for saying what he said, then Irvin should be fired too!

Comment

I love it when people play this "card"

"No Fair! They say it why can't I! No fair!"

Because you are not them, that is why. You don't like it? Sorry, part of being in a civilized culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                        I love it when people play this "card"

"No Fair! They say it why can't I! No fair!"

Because you are not them, that is why. You don't like it? Sorry, part of being in a civilized culture.
                        Better Example: How many advertisers pulled ad's from Grey's anatomy after Isaiah Washington's homophobic remarks? Was he run out of showbusiness?
                        "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                          So exactly how does this relate to Michael Irvin's insane racist comments concerning Tony Romo?

I hope you'd support someone like John Elway stating the only way Donovan McNabb made it to the Super Bowl was due to his great-great-great-great-great slave grandmother banging the white lord of the manor.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrmyth View Post
                            It's no surprise that the two victims of political correctness gone ape are Imus and Bill Maher -- both liberal.
                            For what it's worth, Maher wasn't targeted because of an un-PC remark... he just brought up what he thought to be a rational point... but at the worst possible time.

Imus (as has been mentioned) is just a good ol' boy Libertarian... in a lot of ways his heart seems in the right place (lots of charity work that ignores color lines) but he still seems to harbor a streak of bigotry that bubbles to the surface on occasion. Unfortunately, he's in a job that is all about the stream-of-consciousness dialogue...so if a verbal monkey wrench is thrown in the works, he's gonna pick it up and swing it.

And yes... there is what seems to be a double standard at work, in that Limbaugh, Michael Savage and the lot can say things that if a Liberal or Moderate commentator said the same thing, they'd be instantly canned.

But if they're really Liberal or Moderate, they really shouldn't be saying those things, right? It's not a matter of free speech... just common decency and common sense.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

It's not a matter of you can't say it, it's accepting the consequences from your words. I personally think that's a lesson for all of us.

Anyone can say pretty much anything they want - that's the beauty of free speech. It's not a matter of "I'll defend free speech" when it's something you agree with or support. Defending free speech means you have to tolerate all the other stuff too.

For instance, I loathe Ann Coulter with every fiber of my being. But I have never called for him/her to be silenced. The problem isn't so much a stray celebrity type here and there might think these thoughts, but that there are thousands upon thousands of people who buy into it. You can squash or mute the voice of these foolish few who make their living as the idiot voicebox of these unenlightened few, but that doesn't create change.

Just the illusion of change.

And racism is not exclusive to the "majority" either. It crosses all color lines. There are as many racist minorities as there are bigoted heterosexual white men. Everyone has their excuses as to why it's okay for them to think or speak a certain way, but that's all they are. Excuses.

Personally I think it's more offensive for a member of the minority to perpetuate these types of stereotypes because they should know better.
                              "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

Working...
                              X