Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Idol ... gives back.

Good for them. They're getting Midas rich off that TV show, so I'm glad they're giving some back to the needy.

More important to me is, I'm glad to see GOOD WORKS becoming the accepted way to get publicity, where people on both sides of the celebrity thing (stars and fans) are simply taking it for granted that they're EXPECTED to do good works with their fame and position.

At first that sort of thing "seems" self-serving and cynical ... and then it just becomes "the normal" thing: in my parents' days, neighbors automatically assumed that you helped out neighbors, right? In my grandparents' day, you shared common labour, they'd all go down and work on somebody's barn, if someone down the road were sick, neighbors took them food, helped with chores, etc.

Now ... what? The neighbors move in and out, sometimes you barely know them, there's little community ... that seems to be the expected norm (well, we live next door to a sleeper cell, maybe I'm biased )

Anyway, AI:

JORDIN was a star tonite, she was brilliance, she radiated!

PHIL totally blew the other two guys away, in my book! (All I want is for Phil to be the last guy tossed off, so he'll be #4 by my book after Jordin (wins Idol), Melinda, Lakisha ... Phil)

And LAKISHA ... damn, girl, stop singing other Idol's songs! Stop! When even Paula has to *****foot all around to spare yer feelings, stop! Melinda SPIT again while she was singing, and even if Melinda spit on her Paula would still put a positive spin on the spittle! Paula couldn't save you, nothing will save you ... fire your song-selector!

I was watching IDOL:REWIND (the first season) on WGN and it sounds like in Season One the Judges picked people's songs for them! I think Lakisha would benefit from that.
    sigpic
    "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
    that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
    -Mahatma Gandhi.

Re: American Idol ... gives back.

I can't stand the show and I can't believe Americans aren't bored with it yet. I think the give back idea is excellent, using such a high profile show to raise awareness is a great idea. Let's just hope that they have a system in place to monitor the allocation and distribution of the money at a ground level. It would be awful for it to end up in the pockets of local militia and tin pot warlords, like so much charity aid to Africa.

Applaude them for trying to do some good.
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
      It's lovely that they're using their medium to promote philanthropy, but Africa might be better off without the help of people that find American Idol entertaining.
      Hey, man. I like it! 'Nuff said.

Lock thread. Close board. Shut down the f*&%#ing internet!

Corona
      I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
      I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Where the hell did Phil come from all of the sudden? Baldy has my vote!
        Goonies never say die!

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
          I got so scared when I saw your name attached to this thread. Americans aren't the brightest lot in case that fact somehow escaped you.

It's lovely that they're using their medium to promote philanthropy, but Africa might be better off without the help of people that find American Idol entertaining.

As far as it ending up in the right hands, if ****heel politicians can't get money to New Orleans without stealing, I'd highly doubt that ****'s making it over an ocean without ending up in someone's pocket.
          In the efforts of the world I can see how we as Americans can easily see the pain and suffering of those in Africa. I admire AI for doing "Gives Back", sure it would motivate us to vote for our favorites, and help those less fortunate... but in true honestly... Africa's government needs to be stronger.

Maybe we better stop!!

We seem to forget that Africa is not a country... it's a continent.
          They should tell us which country or countries are suffering the most. This way, we will know how the effort improves?! I'm not knocking what "AI- is doing, don't get me wrong. I'm not focusing on the consequential attitude of how we are looking at, but merely to the facts that we should know why this country has really gotten this way to alert "AI- and others to focus on helping them. It's a valid and noble cause to help those in need. I admire and support the issue. It's just, that the people in Asia have suffered three years ago when the Tsunami happened and many lives were lost and people are suffering in several countries across at least three continents that need our help as well. These people haven't recovered yet; many have lost their families and homes... some really needing the help! This is just my opinion of course, but WHY AFRICA?

Now, focusing the effort to home is a big plus in my opinion!
          Now, let's look at the Katrina victims who still haven't schools or homes to live in, where many lost their parents and desperately need assistance. Many celebrities have run down to their rescues and these people really need the help. They need food, schools for the children, and homes.

I'm being too philosophical to believe that we can as a whole public in America can help all of those people at once. It will require time and patience and the efforts must continue. After all, I heard that my electric bill has increased because they are using our increase of payment to help in the effort. I hate "Southern California Edison-!

So, as for the show, Jordan is going to be a hot new star. She's young, vibrate and enthusiastic about her song choice. She can definitely cut an album right now and every song she would have on it would be GREAT! I would be extremely disappointed if she doesn't make the top two!
          Blake, he's good but he lost it for me. He's trying too hard.

Phil is a country star, he didn't show his root before, but he has the talent. He needs to focus on his strengths and concentrate on how to climb up in this competition to make at it at least in the top four.

Chris, he's alright. He could make it at the top 5. So, it leaves me to Kiki, and Melinda - I think Kiki should go home with her little girl, and wait for Blake and Chris to drop down, and then face off with Jordon Melinda, and Phil.

Tonight is the two-hour "AI Gives Back-, with all the celebs. I can't wait to see Kelly Clarkson again, she has a new single out. Yesterday in fact! Guess she'll be singing it tonight!

Cheers!
          D. Alin
          http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

I thought Chris was as good as he's ever been. They tailored the song to suit him well.

It's obvious that LaKisha is getting thrown to the wolves now. Just listen to the difference in the musical arrangement that backed her, and the arrangements that backed Melinda and Jordin. The band was much more muted than it should have been for LaKisha's song, and her performance came off weaker than it would have otherwise.

Two weeks in a row, Blake has been unable to really connect with the emotion in the songs.

Phil continues to impress tabula rasa and his wife and hardly anyone else. Hopefully, this is the end for him.

Comment

Lakisha was the only one of the three girls who had background vocal support. The band gave her extra help, if anything.

And I'll put American achievements up against any country, any day.
              Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
              Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
              Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Dollars are dollars. Doesn't matter who they come from. AI -- one of the highest rated TV shows -- can raise a lot more money than, say, The *****cat Dolls.

As for Africa being a continent and not specifying the neediest country, I believe the entire continent is in dire need. Hence raising money for the entire continent.

And, I applaud AI for not just raising awareness about Africa, but America as well.
                "I believe that discrimination exists in Hollywood, but ... its much less of an obstacle then poor writing, poor marketing, poor networking and being a whiny little bitch." -- JKK

Comment

What I loved was that it united us all for a common good. I think we really needed that as a nation after a last week.

The best part... I haven't been calling this season at all, but last night I had the phone in hand the duration.

Barely got through.

Of course, I was voting for Blake and Melinda ... but I choose to believe that it's because the good in people will always win over the bad. I'm a Pollyanna that way.

I think it'll be split along these lines:

Jordin
                  Melinda
                  Phil

and

LaKisha
                  Chris
                  Blake

Chris could suffer from the First Spot curse, but LaKisha really made a miscalculation singing the song of an Idol winner - again - and not nailing it. Again.
                  "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

All I know is, I watch those babies orphaned from Aids and I can't take it.
                    I'm donating money right now.

s

Comment

$30 million and counting...

Wow...

I can't even get onto the website. It's been down for at least an hour.
                      "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

I thought it was a beautifully done two hour episode (except for the idiotic "celebs lip-sync" segment. Real stupidity. It's about singing, let the celebs croak and screech and wail, the worse the more entertaining ... but lip-sync was just stupid)

The Elvis/Celine thing was utterly eerie and wonderful ... and it had to be pre-recorded; no live TD could switch live between the angles of Elvis singing, and live Celine, right? If I'm being utterly gullible on how they did that, live, someone catch me up on the tech ... but there's a big difference between taking out the background behind Elvis and greenscreening ... and matching his angles live, with a pull/change in focus between Elvis and Celine ... But explain it if I'm being a naif.

I threw a magazine across the room, when I thought they'd ousted Jordin. The black cat hunched his back. Man, that would've sucked!

But ... great episode.

It broke my heart to see Simon and Ryan sitting in those hovels with those starving and sick kids.

I hope, I assume that the aid/charity people will get the aid to the needy. But that's no excuse not to give or try to help ... cynicism shouldn't stop the blessed from trying to help, even if it means overcoming the corruption of those who'd try to block our help.

We should all give. We enjoy the show, we can do that much: help a starving kid in Africa. Most of us won the lottery by being born in a sane part of the world, away from such suffering and poverty. If we can help, we should ... and screw cynicism.

I thought that was an amazing song Phil sang, the previous show:

'I don't do it to change the world,
                        I do it to show the world
                        it can't change me ...'
                        I thought that was inspirational.

I wondered too if Blake stopped and thought about how some folks might feel offended by the lyrics to "Imagine" ??? I won't start a debate about it here, but I just wondered "If he's going for votes ... has he thought about the lyrics?"

Anyway ... wonderful Idol special, and bless them for using their celebrity to try to do good for the suffering people.

I can't begrudge anyone success or wealth ... as long as they try to "Give Some Back"
                        Last edited by tabula rasa; 04-25-2007, 08:30 PM.
                        sigpic
                        "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                        that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                        -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

I became a complete emotional wreck! Heck, I cried in many segments of the show when the African woman died and left her two wonderful children all alone. Not even Ryan or Simon could help them!

Life there is surely worst than we are here. Although, poverty is something we face every day of our lives.

I sit here in Southern California... watching this...

Heck, I am fortunate after watching those poor starving and helpless children than I am without any real good source of income from my business. I'm complaining that I don't - no - I haven't gotten any true business, but these kids haven't got even half or a quarter of what I have. They are on the barge of losing it all in one day, one hour! Life is valuable and priceless to them. Ten dollars makes their life better than it does for me. What that simple $10 does is protects them from the horrible mosquito infested diseases.

But other than that, this week is surely impressive, no Idol was voted off, and the entire evening focused on the world's cry of helping the innocent with education, good health, and giving food - all part of our existing survival.

The celebs were entertaining, and Jack Black was fun to watch and finally getting up on the stage to deal with Randy, Paula and Simon, oh... and let's not forget Seal! Ellen was even entertaining as well, I loved this two hour show. What I like to know, and am sure that tomorrow on FOX in LA they will be talking about it in the 7:30 am hour of the show, is the Celine and Elvis performance. How did they do that?

It sure was utterly eerie and wonderful! ... it had to be pre-recorded - right!? Matching the angles LIVE is got the be the best thing ever for a TV show to do... and then having the Idols stand up behind them as if the entire performance was LIVE! Amazing!

Other than that, an excellent show!

Good job AI!

D. Alin
                          http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Well, Simon accused Lakisha of shouting last week, but to me, Jordin is the one who shouts more than sings. I dunno, something feels off about Jordin to me. She just doesn't seem that special or original. I'm still rooting for Melinda and Lakisha!

Comment

The Elvis thing was definitely pre-recorded.

I watched the show in HD and when that segment started, the HD feed went out and it transmitted as normal signal, then returned after it ended.

How they did it? My only guess is that they had all those angles of Elvis from stock footage and had to insert him in every scene. It's really not all that amazing to do with film.

But the illusion of convincing the home audience that it was live WAS an amazing trick. Because once you believe that it's live, you are blown away with wonder trying to figure out how he existed next to her. (What is he, a hologram?)

Truth is, she just knew her eyeline of where to look while she was singing.

That's the way we do it in commercial-land, at least.

S

Comment

Working...
                              X