Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Idol ... gives back.

Ben Stiller and Jack Black were fun to watch.
    Didn't see Pink, Gwen Stefani or Dan Radcliffe as advertized though...
    And yes, the show was an emotional one although when I see those poor African kids, I am reminded that we have plenty of poor people around where we live. Sure, it might not be the same thing but every bit helps.

I am not sure if it was all a fake rundown this week but seeing Chris and Jordin at the bottom two made me wonder. Both made good performances compared to Blake "Imagine"...If it is just to scare Jordin's fans, they succeeded.
    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by scriptwriterNYC View Post
      Well, Simon accused Lakisha of shouting last week, but to me, Jordin is the one who shouts more than sings. I dunno, something feels off about Jordin to me. She just doesn't seem that special or original. I'm still rooting for Melinda and Lakisha!
      I agree. I can acknowledge that Jordin has a very good voice, she's pretty, has a bubbly personality, but whenever she sings, she bores the hell out of me. I don't know if it's the songs she chooses or her. But I think she will win despite her blandness.

The only two that I find consistently interesting are Melinda and Blake, and Melinda clearly has the superior voice there. I used to be a big fan of Lakisha but she's lost a lot of steam due to poor song choice.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
        I used to be a big fan of Lakisha but she's lost a lot of steam due to poor song choice.
        Agree with you. But I'm hoping there's still time for her to make a strong comeback.

Comment

Yayyyyy! American Idol's raised over $60 MILLION to help the needy! That's actually human lives saved! So bless everyone who's giving, and the ones getting some little piece of Hope!

I say this without any sarcasm or offense meant: it must be terrible for Simon and Ryan to be rich guys (let's call it how it is, these guys are rich) and be standing in the middle of such suffering and poverty and despair ... and know "I could save any one of these kids; I could put them in the jeep right now and fly them to America or Britain and fix their lives."

And then look around and there's ten thousand more just down the dirty alley, equally needy, on a continent where there are millions more, equally needy.

And, maybe I do mean some sarcasm here: then you see Hollywood celebs, adopting ONE kid, and I gotta think: you just made ONE kid the lucky one ... but if you gave the same $$$ to them all, you could save 1000 kids.

I don't give a fraction of what I could, I can't point a finger of blame, but it makes you think.

Yeah, AMERICAN IDOL made me think.

We need to take our government back in 2008. We need to make our government work OUR will, not someone else's.
          sigpic
          "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
          that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
          -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

It bugs me that some people gripe about Simon and Ryan not giving money out of their own pocket - like we have full disclosure what they do with their money to begin with.

What they did was so much better than the hundred or so thousand they could have contributed between Randy, Simon, Paula and Ryan. This is something they had to do because the need is just too big for "someone else" to fix all alone. In the family of man, their needs should become our needs. And if someone can only give twenty bucks, or if someone can give a million, it doesn't make any contribution any less needed or appreciated. Put all together it can transform lives.

I'm really proud of what American Idol has done and excited we could all be a part of it.

I'm especially proud that on this forum, where snarkiness can sometimes reign supreme, we could be touched and transformed too, and treat this with the reverence it deserved.

You guys rock.
            "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

I felt like the celebs singing comically to "Staying Alive" (staying... alive.) after the footage of Africa was a bit.... strange.

Also, the Jordin "you've been punk'd" moment at the end reminded me of UK Office episode 1 or 2, when David "fires" Dawn (but not really), and she starts crying and the "joke" is ruined...... sort of takes away from the whole classy "we're not eliminating anyone this week" bit, when you cut to an idol sobbing and then back to Ryan smiling and asking for donations...

anyhoo... love the show, lovely gesture, and i hope blake wins (or jordin, cause of the name thing.... and talent), though phil DOES keep getting better and better...
              www.thesparksfly.com

Comment

Phil does keep getting better ... and he was pretty great tonite ... and for the first half of Lakisha's song tonite I was thinking: she's in trouble, because people seem to be actually turning against her lately (sort of the "Phil = the underdog who's actually getting better versus Lakisha = amazing voice who's becoming a disappointment. People love an upset.)

But then she took that not-her-sort-of-song by the horns and made it hers!

Then I was thinking: Chris sings nasally, and maybe Blake will butcher his song! And Blake starts off his song all beatbox and I'm .... you GUT that song, Blake! You MURDER that rock classic ...

And Blake does a pretty decent thing with the song, I gotta admit (though, as Simon said: half the audience might still hate that)

And then Chris makes nasal work for him, darn it, at least tonite!

I just wanted Phil to be the last MAN standing, no question he's outclassed by all 3 female voices, and without Lakisha blowing it tonite (and who here can say she didn't rock that song at the end?) ... I'm afraid Phil can't fend off both guys ... so ... adios, hasta luego, Phil.

I thought everyone did great tonite.

Idol raised $70 MILLION for the needy though, and bless 'em for that.

I was hoping when Prez Bush spoke on the show, he was there to "veto" all the Chris and Blake votes! So maybe there's still hope!
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

I couldn't agree more aobut this...
                  Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
                  I was hoping when Prez Bush spoke on the show, he was there to "veto" all the Chris and Blake votes! So maybe there's still hope!
                  And this was/is AWESOME!
                  Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
                  Idol raised $70 MILLION for the needy though, and bless 'em for that.
                  Chris does makes the nasal thing work for him... doesn't it?!

I feel sorry for Jordin... at least she's honest about her performance... that alone should keep her in.

Too bad I couldn't vote last night, was at an AMD/Microsoft event... an event of winning hardware prizes and FREE food! WOW!

Now... as for Blake, he did a pretty decent job with his song. Although I have to admit (as Simon said: "Half the audience might still hate that, and other will not") does throw in some mixed feelings about his performance. But, he surprised me... he made it his own! I have to congrats him on his effort of originality.

Phil was awesome, showing his true colors, Lakisha... didn't know the song but liked it lot!

Who else am I missing here...

Chris already said, Jordin said, Lakisha... said, Blake... said, Phil said, and comes down to Melinda. She tried desperately to perform ROCK... but a Tina Turner performance gone rock did her justice. Even though she's gracious enough to admit how her performance gone rock did her justice. Even though she's gracious enough to admit how her performance will play out.

It builds character to each of them to confess and admit their strengths and weakness at this point, maybe because each of them already knows regardless if they succeed at the top five, that they’re all stars! So, being gracious is probably in their best interest to admit their strengths and weakness up front. I give them a huge applauds.

Thank goodness for MCE 2005, I watched the show this morning, and got the true feelings of all of them!
                  D. Alin
                  http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

I don't really know about this week.

I got to give Phil a continuous kudos on picking good songs and improving that side for us to watch. Blake gots the balls to change a well known song into his style. Chris has absolutely no presence on stage this week (then again, not sure if he ever really did). Lakisha came back and amazed Simon with her delightful performance. Melinda (my fav) and Jordin seemed off their comfort field but still acted like pros.

BOYS
                    Phil gave a very good performance.
                    Blake's version was not shabby at all but Simon and Jon are right, it's a gamble he took. It'd be interesting to see if it will pay off.
                    Chris took another of my fav songs and made me roll my eyes. Time to go, buddy.

GIRLS
                    Lakisha made a good come back, a much better performance than the past couple of weeks.
                    Jordin did okay although it really didn't seem to be her style.
                    Same thing can be said about Melinda but as mentioned previously, both girls were honest about their performances. If both gets enough votes and if America stands on their previous performances, they should be safe.

POSSIBLE LOWER HALF
                    Chris
                    Blake
                    Jordin

MY PERSONAL "C-YA" CHOICES
                    Chris
                    Blake
                    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Working...
                    X