Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: On the Lot: Comedy shorts

They could've also put it on Fox Reality, which is probably begging for content to fill their schedule. There has to be a reason.
    Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
    Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
    Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

If there's a missing episode, then there should've been missing contestants on Monday. Anyone missing?

Comment

I'm a little amazed this thing actually got out of the gate being so ill-conceived and poorly executed. The work is on par with what's usually seen at a children's film camp. Perhaps if they recruited the 25 or so best writers/directors from youtube and given them a shot the built-in audience could have carried this through the inanity of the judge's drivel.

I usually give Burnett the benefit of the doubt, but then Pirate Master aired last night ...

Damn.

lefty

P.S. Martell has the right idea. Spielberg needs to kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
          If there's a missing episode, then there should've been missing contestants on Monday. Anyone missing?
          they went from 24 or so on the thursday ep, down to 18 on the monday one

Comment

Originally posted by Writing is Fart View Post
            they went from 24 or so on the thursday ep, down to 18 on the monday one
            Well, that sucks. I've never seen a contest show skip over an episode, no matter the ratings. To not at least make it available through either their two networks or their website is ridiculous.

Comment

The results show rips off American Idol, right down to, "Carrie(Paula) said that your short(song) was flat", "DJ(Randy) thought it wasn't your best effort", "Gary(Simon) said it was absolute dreadful". "America voted (long beat for dramatic effect) and they don't agree with the judges, you are safe this week".

I had to fast forward most of the results show. And who the hell is Carrie Fisher to be giving directing advice? And calling her a screenwriting heavy weight makes me laugh. She's written 1 movie, Postcard from the Edge and an episode of Rosanne and The Young Indiana Jones. She may have her EGirls in pre production and done some writing for the Academy Awards, but calling her a screenwriting heavy weight is just silly.

At least Hells Kitchen begins on Monday...

Comment

Originally posted by left field View Post
                Perhaps if they recruited the 25 or so best writers/directors from youtube and given them a shot the built-in audience could have carried this through the inanity of the judge's drivel.
                Way better idea, I think that should would be a borderline hit
                Originally posted by left field View Post
                I usually give Burnett the benefit of the doubt, but then Pirate Master aired last night ...
                First guy they kicked out listed his occupation as Scientist/Exotic Dancer...

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                  ... I think that should would be a borderline hit ...
                  Also going on my resume along with "something approaching humor."

Cheers, Slappy.

lefty

Comment

Originally posted by taurbabe View Post
                    I thought they only had one hour to write, film, and edit it. Isn't that what the judges gave them on last weeks episodes?
                    To reiterate, at the end of last Thursday's show there were 24 directors left. They were given one-page scripts that they each had only one hour to film. Then the judges eliminated 6 directors based on those shorts, but they didn't air this footage or the shorts on TV (some of it is available online). Then the 18 who were left were given one week to write, direct, and edit a one-minute comedy short.

The AI format was planned from the start, but I agree the whole "missing episode" thing is B.S.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                    - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Apparently, there's a show coming on looking for the next big producer.

Whatever happened to the sitcom that Sean Haye's reality show winner was supposed to get on the air? Do these competitions ever pan out?

Comment

Richard Hatch had to survive a little jail time, so I guess, yes.

lefty

Comment

Fisher has done a million uncredited rewrites for more money than I can imagine (and I can imagine a lot).

I hope the host chick is screwing somebody, because she fumbles reading cue cards and seems like a moron.

I think Gary Marshall is a boob.

The reason why the guy with the "nerd movie" made the top 3? American felt sorry for everyone ganging up on him.

What if Spielberg killed 3 of the film makers every episode? And he has to use Indy's whip to do it? And Fisher tried to put on that outfit from RETURN OF THE JEDI and then stand next to a picture of her from the movie? And Gary Marshall had to commit sepuku for making EXIT TO EDEN and DEAR GOD and, well, most of his other movies? And Brett Rattner - well, I can't think of anything bad enough for him, but we could take suggestions from the viewing audience.

I'd almost rather watch one of my own movies than this show.

- Bill
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I sense "special needs" ... because here's the thing: the two main judges are 50+ ... and all the contestants look like somebody slapped a "no one older than 30" age limit on the thing.

Bought them nuthin' but dull Judges and inexperienced Directors.

And that's backwards, right?

The talented Directors (even the "undiscovered" ones) might've been better if they picked competitors in their 40's ...

And the "Judges" should be the young and cool ones, because that's the audience Hollywood sells box office tix to (and they'd have better judgement riffs)

If you need sex appeal on the show, have the pretty young things that get thrown off ... buy their way back into the game by having sex with the old timers! (That too would play into the Hollywood vibe, the whole Casting Couch gambit ...)

I mean, somebody always trades on the booty for ratings anyway, let's just go with the reality.

The hot Jessica from NYU chick with her idiot Screwing the lightbulb thing beating out the pale Jack Osbourne guy with the great film ... they're half way to following my advice already!
                            sigpic
                            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

What if Spielberg killed 3 of the film makers every episode? And he has to use Indy's whip to do it? And Fisher tried to put on that outfit from RETURN OF THE JEDI and then stand next to a picture of her from the movie? And Gary Marshall had to commit sepuku for making EXIT TO EDEN and DEAR GOD and, well, most of his other movies? And Brett Rattner - well, I can't think of anything bad enough for him, but we could take suggestions from the viewing audience.
                              I'd buy that for a dollar.

Does the format limit them to only a week on each film? If so, the quality thus far may be as good as it gets.

I can't imagine Ma and Pa Kettle investng any time in this. Vote for the eventual winner then sit back and wait patiently for three years until their movie comes out? Or doesn't?

Pirate Master is looking better and better, mateys.

lefty

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatTire View Post
                                The results show rips off American Idol, right down to, "Carrie(Paula) said that your short(song) was flat", "DJ(Randy) thought it wasn't your best effort", "Gary(Simon) said it was absolute dreadful". "America voted (long beat for dramatic effect) and they don't agree with the judges, you are safe this week".

I had to fast forward most of the results show. And who the hell is Carrie Fisher to be giving directing advice? And calling her a screenwriting heavy weight makes me laugh. She's written 1 movie, Postcard from the Edge and an episode of Rosanne and The Young Indiana Jones. She may have her EGirls in pre production and done some writing for the Academy Awards, but calling her a screenwriting heavy weight is just silly.

At least Hells Kitchen begins on Monday...
                                Carrie Fisher has been one of the highest paid script doctors in town.

Comment

Working...
                                X