X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabula rasa
    replied
    Re: On the Lot: Comedy shorts

Some of the shorts were pretty lame, and there's no way the cute chick's LIGHTBULB thing should've topped the Brit guy's beautiful visual BURGLAR thing except ... hot chick has looks and Brit guy is some White Stripes escapee. So ... the one thing that saved it from being "three females rejected" was ... sex-appeal?

Is that as bad as it seems to be? But I toldly agree: I'm disappointed the femme directors got stuck in frat-house low humour.

I want Kenny Luby (insane taxi service) to go out brutally, I loathe that guy. Backstabs a team mate, whines, produces eye-candy crap, yeahyeahyeahs the judges ...

I love Zach the viz fx wizard, but not because of his fx, he simply has the coolest story-telling so far too.

And, as for the missing films and directors-disappeared that we never saw ... what happened to the woman who directed Volare? It was amazing. we never even saw her in the crowd, let alone saw her compete ...

Leave a comment:

• Juno Styles
    replied

a big tax write off for Steven Spielberg.

Leave a comment:

• Slappynipsy
    replied

Since America is voting, it's pretty obvious the redneck will win, and get to direct Delta Farce 2 : Delta Farcer.

Is it me or do all of the contestants kind of suck? They had a week to make a one minute short and not a single one of them was funny...

And what do they win exactly? “A million dollar deal at Dreamworks”? What all comes with that?

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied

Originally posted by Writing is Fart View Post
    I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic.
    Exactly. She was making a joke.

Leave a comment:

• amandag
    replied

Originally posted by Writing is Fart
    I see where GM is coming from. I think he basically wants to see the female directors tackle issues from a women's perspective. Men and women do have different perspectives on things.
    Of course. And there's nothing wrong with women writing women's themes and vice versa. But every person's perspective is different and every story and tone is different. Some are more dominantly gender-based, others aren't.

By his arguement, James Cameron shouldn't write about Ripley's maternal instinct cause he's a guy. And that was one of the most genius themes in the movie. IMO, good writers/directors should be able to slip into both genders' skins and themes to create a balanced story.

I don't think Marshall's a bad guy. I thought some of his commments were great. But after the fifth time he said the women/men thing I got a little exhausted.

Leave a comment:

• Writing is Fart
    replied

Originally posted by amandag View Post
    GM, in kind NY accent to multiple filmmakers:

(paraphrasing)

GM: Women should make movies about women...

For example...your period, or when a guy doesn't call you back...or childbirth...or flirting to get your way...These are women's themes. We already have men's themes. Don't do something about peeing. Because women don't pee. But it you want to yell at a guy for peeing, that I'd watch.

Don't undermine your skills...don't try to become a man...I bet you're ovulating right now. Tell us about that!

Woman: Okay...I just bent over an alien and %&* him against studio 7. Then he left me. I could sure use some ice cream and a haircut. Nannoo.
    I see where GM is coming from. I think he basically wants to see the female directors tackle issues from a women's perspective. Men and women do have different perspectives on things.

Leave a comment:

• Writing is Fart
    replied

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
    no backbone. maybe she felt stupid, lol.
    I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic.

Leave a comment:

• amandag
    replied

GM, in kind NY accent to multiple filmmakers:

(paraphrasing)

GM: Women should make movies about women...

For example...your period, or when a guy doesn't call you back...or childbirth...or flirting to get your way...These are women's themes. We already have men's themes. Don't do something about peeing. Because women don't pee. But it you want to yell at a guy for peeing, that I'd watch.

Don't undermine your skills...don't try to become a man...I bet you're ovulating right now. Tell us about that!

Woman: Okay...I just bent over an alien and %&* him against studio 7. Then he left me. I could sure use some ice cream and a haircut. Nannoo.

Leave a comment:

• Slappynipsy
    replied

I'm guessing they changed her meds. The only thing intresting about this show is Garry Marshall

Leave a comment:

• Juno Styles
    replied

Originally posted by gregsonfilm View Post
    And what about Carrie's 180 on the "getta rhoom- short. First she says it was extremely offensive... the next night she says she LOVED IT? What-the-Hell?

Leave a comment:

• gregsonfilm
    replied

Aaaarh! I reeeeally want to like the show, but now it's just pissing me off.

But did anybody else notice the anti-non-American conspiracy? Spain, Italy, and the UK were the hometowns of the 3 that went home. Hm....
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. "50 directors from 23 countries... and AMERICA gets to vote..." Do they really mean that you have to be in the US to vote? The hostess said specifically America during every segment. If that's the case, then the non-Americans'' friends and family couldn't cast their vote... WTF?

and MAN! The hostess stinks! Even with bonus points for cleavage, she's still got a negative score. Her questions are ridiculous, and her attempt to tie in the name or some aspect of the short when telling a contestant if they are staying or going are wild stretches at best. And what's up with the method the writers/producers tried to add suspense to the eliminations? It doesn't take long to figure out that the first 4 people in each row she talks to ARE GOING TO STAY.

The "light bulb" short and the "peeing on a bus" short were up there with the worst shorts I've ever seen. I cannot believe that the "wacky cab" guy did not get eliminated; I would have bet money he was going to get canned. And then he had the balls to say that it was "a trailer-? HA! The "big bad heist- was a trailer! (I think he's one of the most talented filmmakers there). The Brit's "hold please- was soo much better than the light bulb one. The light bulb short was like 5 shots all from the same camera setup, the lighting was flat, and the fantasy characters made no sense - I can't believe I'm actually getting angry about this.

And what about Carrie's 180 on the "getta rhoom- short. First she says it was extremely offensive... the next night she says she LOVED IT? What-the-Hell?

Unfortunately I think you guys are right, there won't be a second season.

Leave a comment:

• qualitycontrol
    replied

i dont think they're going to replay all those shorts. last night's episode was like 2 hours long. i think tonight is only an hour. they have all the one minute comedies from last night on their website though: http://www.thelot.com/episodes/
    The internet contains all.

Leave a comment:

• anu
    replied

replication would have been funnier if the retarded kid stood up from behind the lovers' couch and made an armpit fart, before he said "ghetta room."

and he could have been inserted in the airport security line short. "ghetta room."

he could have been the dude with the flowers in the toilet short. "ghetta room."

and after he got zapped from heaven they could have played the drunk alien short -- and he could have fallen out of the saucer with his new buddies.

Leave a comment:

• velysai
    replied

In the preview at the end of Thursday's show, it said "On Monday..." we'd see what happened with the one-hour filming sessions and then the booting off of the 6 to make the final 18 and then it said they would air the 18 shorts, too. Maybe they realized they were being overly ambitious with their time?

They need to put that missing footage on the website!

SPOILERS...

Tonight, I was worried they were going to send 3 females home. Being female myself, that would have been very sad. I loved it when Garry Marshall said, "My sister, Penny, is very lonely." They should try to svck less.

But did anybody else notice the anti-non-American conspiracy? Spain, Italy, and the UK were the hometowns of the 3 that went home. Hm....

"Getta Rhoom" in the top 3, huh? The judges made me feel sooooo guilty for laughing. I felt vindicated. LOL. Or at least i fell for marginalizing humor with the rest of the voters. Dude, I still thought it was funny, but my mind didn't even go to "mentally challenged", because Jason prefaced it by saying the guy was a "nerd".

Whatever, my favorites are still in it, so with a genre change-up, we'll see who has the goods.

(Do the ratings really svck that bad?)

Leave a comment:

• Slow Eddie
    replied

Well, what you have to realize is that its a reality show after all. Just like American Idol, the Apprentice, etc., the producers of the show are not always necessarily looking for the MOST talented people. They are looking for averagely talented people, but more importantly personalities that will make for good TV. Personalities that will cause drama among the other contestants, that you will love to hate over the course of the season, and that you'll be glad to see voted off.

Eddie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X