Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight of the Conchords

Curious to find out other folks impressions of this show? (I tuned in late), but mine were that it was innovative, clever, and amusing. On the other hand I wonder why the Networks don't make up a new word for this category of show because they seem to fit a category that hit most the marks, except they just aren't terribly funny. (Maybe they could call them a clamusement). This and a lot of the others are actually pretty decent general fare, but seem to widely miss on the laugh factor in comparison to other comedy shows like Curb & Seinfeld. Anybody have a general theory on why they aren't funnier?

Re: Flight of the Conchords

I loved the pilot episode and laughed out loud both at the songs and many of the jokes, so I guess I won't have a theory for you.

Clamusement gets a thumbs down though.

Comment

I think it's a funny show. Quirky. But I doubt it will survive. People want to latch onto a character. Like Sex And The City or Entourage. They want some (at least a little) ongoing story. Something for these characters to accomplish. I think this is why the original TV version of Ali G didn't last long.

Ele...

Comment

As long as it's on, I'll be watching. I think the shows hilarious, the songs are great, and the entire premise is just fun!

Comment

Originally posted by rockridesva View Post
          As long as it's on, I'll be watching. I think the shows hilarious, the songs are great, and the entire premise is just fun!

I also thought the premise was several light years in front of the standard prime time domestic comedies that easily could exchange both stories and characters. The songs give the show a different flavor (compared to everything else that is on), but was hoping they would end up with something as funny as Curb. The show that ran Sunday had a pretty amusing scene where they had a band meeting and were discussing availability for a gig (the hot dog sign as attire part), unfortunately without even a momentary distraction of some kind the verbal parying ended up seeming very clever, but not terribly funny. Often, It just needed something else (even if it was only a momentary distraction).

Hopefuly with the setting in a major city they eventually take even more advantage of the comic possibilities inherent with bystanders of varying ethnicities that they might be interacting with. (Might be asking for too much here, as after the IMUS debacle everyone has their PC shields firmly in place and unfortunately a huge amount of comedic material is considered off limits)

Comment

I just caught this last night after Entourage.

I loved these guys and the songs so much that I went back and watched the other two episodes OnDemand and then a OneNightStand comedy special and a few music videos OnDemand.

These guys are HILARIOUS. The comedy is dry, brilliant and totally fresh.

Love these guys!!

HBOhh...you crazy!

s

Comment

I checked out the on demand trailer, looks very off beat in the League of Gentlemen/Trailer Park Boys vein. I'll be sure to watch the episodes later in the week when I have time.
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Enjoyed it, but I didn't feel like it was bringing me anything different than Tenacious D or The Mighty Boosh. Or rather, maybe it's just a little toned down from those, but I enjoy such madness, so I'll stick to them.
                "Where's the beer?"
                - Nero Wolfe

www.nicollecjones.com

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
                  Yeah, I have no idea why I'm the only person that can't stand this show. I think I'd like it a ton better if it wasn't for the singing. I hate musicals.
                  You are now on the crazy list.

Comment

I couldn't even finish watching it.

Comment

Flight of the Conchords

I don't know why it's taken so long for this show to get here, given that the guys are Kiwis, but it's finally arrived.

It's the funniest show on TV - frickin' hilarious!
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                        I don't know why it's taken so long for this show to get here, given that the guys are Kiwis, but it's finally arrived.

It's the funniest show on TV - frickin' hilarious!
                        Everyone knows the road from Auchland to Sydney passes through the East Village (well, everyone in the East Village knows that).

I love the show and hope they'll keep it up, though I can't imagine writing enough songs to fill a season of tv - the first season, they used mostly songs they'd alread written and fit the episodes to match. Now they have some real work ahead of them.
                        -- -- -- --
                        fo co mo so

Comment

The first half of the season was downright hilarious, but it tailed off miserably towards the end. The jokes got repetative and the songs stopped being funny. I hope they bounce back with the second season because I like these guys.
                          Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I've been catching up with this show. For the first few episodes I was like, wow, this is the most innovative and clever writing I've come across in a long time. I was super-excited. But then, it just kinda laid around doing the same thing every episode. It really fell flat for me. I expect new, engaging story-lines when I watch this kind of off-center humor. But they didn't deliver, for me anyway. I still think it's heads above 90% of shows out there, but after you've seen a few, you've seen em all.

Comment

BEST SHOW ON HBO! I love it. My wife and I ran out and bought it on DVD the day it came out. I've noticed people either love it or hate it. I've been a fan of them for a long time, so the show is just amazing!
                              "PC lobe letter? What the f*%k does that mean?"

Comment

Working...
                              X