Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gossip Girl

Almost embarrassed to admit I enjoyed the pilot. Reminded me a lot of Pretty in Pink. The date rapist is so indebted to James Spader's character. The cheating but good-hearted boyfriend = Andrew McCarthy. Even had an awkward girl sewing a dress. Loved Blair, the brunette.

Re: Gossip Girl

Scribble, I am right there with you on the Pretty in Pink references. The moment that Chuck character appeared, I said, "Oh, he's the James Spader." And then when the other girl planned to knock off the expensive dress by sewing her own, I totally expected the mean rich girls to call her on it at the party, ala Molly Ringwald catching abuse for all her home-sewn outfits. (Athough as I recall, nobody actually did make fun of the home-sewn dress in GOSSIP GIRL.)

That said, I really kind of loathed this show. I didn't particularly expect it to become must-see viewing for me, but I thought it might be cheesy fun. Instead, I found the the portrayal of the rich so cartoonish it made what little I've seen of THE OC look like a documentary. I thought the Chuck character, Spaderiffic though he was, to be absolutely ridiculous. But my biggest problem was with the Gossip Girl narration. It just seemed incredibly vicious and mean-spirited. I found myself really hating Gossip Girl, whoever she was. Plus I think having Kristin Bell do the voiceover was a big mistake -- very distracting. Gossip Girl is anonymous, which means a) we should at least be able to entertain the notion that she's secretly one of the existing characters and b) she should not have a patently recognizable voice due to being portrayed by an actress who made her name in a show that was dripping with voiceover narration.

So, yeah. No permanent place on my DVR for this one.
    The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

I reeeeeally liked the show.

Although the Chuck character is annoyingly one dimensional and the name van der woosen is friggin awful, the show is very watchable.

However, I may be prone to like any show with Kristen Bell voiceover.
      "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

LOL @ Spaderiffic and van der woosen.
        Jilly, if you do not continue to watch this show I will spread rumors about you via text message to, like, everybody in the world.
        JKK, which did you prefer -- S or B?
        Okay, I think I need to go do some bareknuckle boxing or something now.

Comment

As a character? S or B any day. I have little sympathy for B.

Um, for other things? B any day of the week. Although I saw S at a CVS and she's pretty cute in person.
          "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Originally posted by Scribble View Post
            Jilly, if you do not continue to watch this show I will spread rumors about you via text message to, like, everybody in the world.

Um, okay, I guess if it's that important to you I could maybe DVR it and save it for when the shows I like are in repeats. Would that be sufficient to spare me from an international scandal?
            The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X