Sopranos' creator says Tony didn't get whacked!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sopranos' creator says Tony didn't get whacked!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...s-david-chase/

Re: Sopranos' creator says Tony didn't get whacked!

huh? nowhere in that article did Chase say Tony survives...
    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

"Breaking his silence months after the HBO mob drama ended its run, he is offering a belated explanation for that blackout at the restaurant. He strongly suggests that, no, Tony Soprano didn't get whacked moments later as he munched onion rings with his family at Holsten's. And mostly Chase wonders why so many viewers got so worked up over the series' non-finish."

Comment

Originally posted by scriptwriterNYC View Post
        "Breaking his silence months after the HBO mob drama ended its run, he is offering a belated explanation for that blackout at the restaurant. He strongly suggests that, no, Tony Soprano didn't get whacked moments later as he munched onion rings with his family at Holsten's. And mostly Chase wonders why so many viewers got so worked up over the series' non-finish."
        that is the writer's conjecture after their interpretation of what Chase said, no direct quote from Chase himself

Comment

Chase insists it wasn't meant as a prank. "Why would we want to do that?" he asks. "Why would we entertain people for eight years only to give them the finger?"

Why indeed.

Comment

Naw, it's quite clear what Chase is implying:

"In the days, and even weeks, after the finale aired June 10, "Sopranos" wonks combed that episode for buried clues, concocting wild theories. (Was this some sort of "Last Supper" reimagined with Tony, wife Carmela, son A.J. and daughter Meadow?)

Chase insists that what you saw (and didn't see) is what you get. There are no esoteric clues in there. No `Da Vinci Code,'" he declares.

He says it's "just great" if fans tried to find a deeper meaning, but "most of them, most of us, should have done this kind of thing in high school English class and didn't."

Comment

Read the longer interview at EW.com and you'll see that Chase, I believe, strongly suggests Tony is dead.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20152845,00.html

Ele...

Comment

I agree that Chase implied Tony is dead. If you read the rest of the interview-- I think maybe I saw it somewhere than EW-- go past the part about no DaVinci Code. He specfically says that all the clues are in past episodes about you don't see it coming. He even gives the example, and again, maybe it was a different interview, about how Sil didn't realize his dinner companion got shot until after it happened. He talks about how it happens so fast.

His comments have me more convinced now that he's dead than when this was originally brought up in June.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                  Read the longer interview at EW.com and you'll see that Chase, I believe, strongly suggests Tony is dead.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20152845,00.html
                  In the longer article you posted, it seems to me that he's saying it doesn't really matter if it happened that night or later. The dark screen was more like the inevitable that's coming down the road... which could be in ten minutes or ten months - it doesn't even sound like Chase really knows:

"This wasn't really about ''leaving the door open.'' There was nothing definite about what happened, but there was a clean trend on view - a definite sense of what Tony and Carmela's future looks like. Whether it happened that night or some other night doesn't really matter."

Comment

"There are no esoteric clues in there. No Da Vinci Code. Everything that pertains to that episode was in that episode. And it was in the episode before that and the one before that and seasons before this one and so on. There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Jerry Toricano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Jerry was on his way down to the floor. That's the way things happen: It's already going on by the time you even notice it."

Why on Earth would he mention this if Tony didn't get killed??

Comment

When I first saw the episode I had two instincts. The first is that Tony lived but there was a dark cloud over his head. Pretty much every mobster we've come to know was dead or had a one way ticket by the end of the episode. And I felt like the Member's Only guy symbolized the price Tony has to pay, that he's constantly looking over his shoulder and that it will eventually beat him.

Then I thought more about it, put the stuff together about "not even seeing it when it happens." And in my opinion, it became apparent that Chase used a clever method to show murder rather than blood flying around. I'm still convinced this is the scenario, but the fact is that both of my instincts pointed to Tony's death at one point or another. I think Chase is suggesting this in his interview -- that Tony didn't win.

Ele...

Comment

INT. HOSPITAL - CHRONIC CARE WARD - DAY
                        A PRIEST gives last rites to DAVID CHASE, a bald geriatric sucking in his last breaths.

PRIEST
                        It has been over thirty years, David. Do you have anything you'd like to confess?

Chase gestures for the Priest to lean in closer. The Priest leans.

CHASE
                        (coughs)
                        Tony died... he got whacked in the diner...

The life support machines BEEP and BUZZ out of control.

EXT. MAGAZINE STAND - DAY
                        A CUSTOMER picks a magazine off the rack. On the cover is a headline: "Soprano's Creator Dies. Priest Spills Details On Tony's Demise."

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                          INT. HOSPITAL - CHRONIC CARE WARD - DAY
                          A PRIEST gives last rites to DAVID CHASE, a bald geriatric sucking in his last breaths.

PRIEST
                          It has been over thirty years, David. Do you have anything you'd like to confess?

Chase gestures for the Priest to lean in closer. The Priest leans.

CHASE
                          (coughs)
                          Tony died... he got whacked in the diner...

The life support machines BEEP and BUZZ out of control.

EXT. MAGAZINE STAND - DAY
                          A CUSTOMER picks a magazine off the rack. On the cover is a headline: "Soprano's Creator Dies. Priest Spills Details On Tony's Demise."

can we have the Priest smother his face with a pillow Godfather-style instead?

please?

s

Comment

Chase, perhaps subconsciously, revealed the real reason and meaning of the episdoe in that EW interview, right here:

"I remember I would tell my kid and her cousins bedtime stories. Sometimes I would want to get back to the grown-ups and have a drink, so I would say something like, 'And they were driving down the road and that's it. Story over.''"

That's it. End of story. Chase was tired of entertaining the kids and wanted to go have a drink.
                            ==========

Comment

Originally posted by writerly
                              ha, so true.
                              I'm in the camp that was disappointed by the ending.
                              imho, if you have to give press interviews explaining the ending of a work of art -- you've failed on the count of having a good ending. It should be self-contained, even in its ambiguity, no??? Art should stand alone. Brilliant show, sucky ending, imho... but I know many think it's a brilliant endng.
                              He's only done two interviews about the finale since it aired and hasn't given an explanation for anything. Just his views on the response to the finale and his intentions as an artist. Everything that is perceived about the ending comes from viewer response. That seems like a pretty successful ending to me.

Ele...

Comment

Working...
                              X