Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Maher is back -- and his comments on strike

I was channel surfing last night and was surprised to see that Bill Maher was on with a new, live episode (Saturday night, not Friday). His monologue was terrible as always, but probably even worse than I've seen. He had some interesting interviews and panelists, but no "New Rules" at the end.

He also did a little commentary about the writer's strike towards the end, which was really interesting. I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but basically he said that he loves and supports his own writers, but he thinks that the strike is misguided by those at the top. It really surprised me how he cam out like this. Letterman, Leno Stewart and the others I've seen back at work have shown nothing but support for the strike (even if didn't support it privately, they publicly supported it).

Did anyone else here see Maher's show? Any other thoughts? I will say this: Bill Maher does need his writers more than ever. He seems lost without them.

Re: Bill Maher is back -- and his comments on strike

Pasquali:

I agree!

Maher's stand up material on HBO Specials is first rate, but his regular show (Real Time) was getting extremely stale before the strike. Having political partisan guests from both sides playiing ping pong, when more often than not they had no sense of humor (or were not clever in making their point) was turning this show into an uncensored Hannity & Colmes (with the periodic injection of one of Maher's amusing slams). New Rules was the highlight of the show, and without it (and the writers) the show should be viewed as is an embarassment by him. I usually am a little bit of a fan, but last week's show was on the same plane as a Carson Dailey monologue.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
      I was channel surfing last night and was surprised to see that Bill Maher was on with a new, live episode (Saturday night, not Friday).
      Wrong. It was Friday night.

Originally posted by Pasquali View Post
      Did anyone else here see Maher's show? Any other thoughts? I will say this: Bill Maher does need his writers more than ever. He seems lost without them.
      It was a fine episode. Frankly, I thought it was no better or worse than anything he had before the strike. Better than The Daily Show, which simply sucks without the writers....

Comment

My bad about it being live on Saturday. I didn't notice it was on Friday, then it didn't say "pre-recorded" on Saturday when I saw it.

But I stand by what I said about this episode sucking. This monologue was terrible -- one of the worst I've seen from Maher. And there were no "New Rules." That segment is usually the best thing about his show.

I do agree that the Daily Show is worse without its writers. Actually, the best political comedy/satire right now is watching the real stuff on CNN.

Comment

Maher's show was much improved over last week, but it looks like he can't pull off New Rules without his writers.

Opinions?

Comment

Working...
          X