Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fewer Pilots = Trend of the Future?

Perhaps they will actually "have the time" to focus more on quality instead of quanity now, then... or not.

Re: Fewer Pilots = Trend of the Future?

Originally posted by j over View Post
    Perhaps they will actually "have the time" to focus more on quality instead of quanity now, then... or not.

You would hope (like J seems to) that based on the luxury of additional time, the quality would go up. Unfortunately based on the linked Variety article above, that even while attempting to keep an open mind, a lot of thes sound like the usual recycled/cloned cliche festivals that won't be around too long. There are a couple of new show premises that could be gems, but the majority of them I think a lot of DDers could quickly point to a show that sounds exactly like what they will be offering. While just about everybody will be happy to see everyone getting back to work (particularly scripted writing work), if you run down thie list on the link, you won't see a drama that is going to make you forget the West Wing, a Curb/Seinfeld calibre sitcom, or anything in the Sci Fi/ Fantasy area that you would pass up for watching an old Rod Serling show on some 3rd rate cable channel, that first aired decades before you were born.

Musicians have the ability to make something completely their own and new out of something old, unfortunately in Network TV it seems like they skip the steps where you select shows where someone made something their own and new and just present it for all intensive purposes as just about the same as something done before.

Comment

With little or no chance of a pilot for a high concept idea to sell itself, I'm afraid we'll see a lot less risks taken on new ideas that havn't been tried and tested before.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Let's not get too critical. The networks do take chances, otherwise shows like Pushing Daisies, Moonlight, or Eli Stone wouldn't be on the air.
        Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
        Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
        Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
          Let's not get too critical. The networks do take chances, otherwise shows like Pushing Daisies, Moonlight, or Eli Stone wouldn't be on the air.
          The others, sure, but Moonlight? A vampire who's a private detective?
          Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
            I agree with you that occasionly the big 4 take chances, but the quality hasn't been the same as cable, otherwise the audience wouldn't have moved there in droves. When they do run something that is completely original, often they are a great change of pace but about episode six, the gimmickry wears thin and it can't disguise the show's premise wasn't broad enough to escape from the one trick pony category (or stave away eventual boredom) Anyone remember the critic's darling a while back (Joan of Arcadia), and how that fared?

Comment

Working...
            X