X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SNL - still sucks

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    Okay, here's some "open discussion" for you:

You stated before that SNL should get out of the political humor business.

Considering that they were the first comedy show in America to do political humor, and the ratings for SNL are always higher in election years, and they are the only comedy show that people like Al Gore and Hillary Clinton and Rudy Gulianni will go on, how can you make a statement like that and expect to be taken seriously?
    Taken seriously?

My God. You still don't get it. This isn't about who is right or wrong. It's about stating differing opinions for the sake of discussion.

This is what I have a problem with, Kinterboy:

Not your opinions, but how you express them.

You are very dismissive and arrogant whenever someone brings up a counter-point you disagree with. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but this isn't about winning, or having to always be "right".

You seem to take anything somebody posts that goes against your POV as some kind of personal insult and then proceed to try embarrass, or discredit them by using a lot of illogical assumptions and reasoning. You've done it in this thread and others.

If we are going to cut the sh1t, I think it's the fact I can see through some of your illogical arguments and flawed reasoning that bugs you the most. Tough. I'm not going to dumb myself down because you possibly aren't as experienced, or knowledgeable in certain areas. I don't work that way. And I don't discuss topics that way, either.

Also, to be blunt, I could care less whether or not you, or anybody else on this board takes me seriously. BUT I expect everybody else to respect my right to express those opinions -- Whether you agree with them, or not.

It appears you are the one who can't make this distinction and come all unglued whenever somebody posts something you don't agree with. This is why I said you act like a child and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Now, moving on...

To address the point you made...

I think it is very risky right now to do political humor. Mostly because politics have gotten so nasty on BOTH sides that if you are Lorne Michaels, you don't want to give viewers any possible reason to NOT tune in, right?

Maybe the ratings aren't as sensitive as we think in terms of the reaction to political content. I don't know, and nobody really knows -- It would be nice to get some actual Nielsen figures to put this part of the discussion to rest, though. So, maybe you are right that it SNL should keep going with the political content.

I disagree.

The Daily Show plays clips of politicians saying stupid things and then makes fun of them. SNL has never played a clip of anyone saying anything. The fact that you could compare the two, much less state that The Daily Show is better is just mind-boggling. I don't think you know anything about comedy.
    Do you know how arrogant this statement is? It reeks of you making assumptions and once again (surprise, surprise) illogical arguments.

Plus, I hate to break it to you, but I don't think anyone on DD thinks you are funny, pal. Not a single person. If this is the best evidence you've got to proclaim you are some comedy expert and I am not... Then I don't even think I should continue.

I was going to address this point you brought up in a civil, logical manner... But that's not what you want?

You want me and everyone else who disagrees with you to just shut up and leave... But not because we actually might think SNL is in decline. It's because most of us can argue a hell of a lot more intelligently and logically than you while keeping our egos in check that upsets you the most.

I will say this and never come back to this thread:

If you think this arrogant, dismissive, know-it-all attitude is going to get you far in Hollywood, think again. Screenwriting is a collaborative craft and from what I've seen the only people you like to collaborate with is You and yourself.
    Last edited by WritersBlock2010; 03-12-2008, 02:29 PM.
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      how can you make a statement like that and expect to be taken seriously?
      I don't think you know anything about comedy.
      Kintnerboy, those are the kinds of things that piss people off. Maybe if you refrained from saying them, you'd find it easier to get along with the other posters here.

Because that attitude isn't going to do you any favors in Hollywood.
      Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Live From New York! It's Saturday Night!!
        Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Huh. That usually works. Well, I tried.
          Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Might be a good idea to lock this thread down. It's getting ugly in here.
            Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

[quote=Maclean;426005] we can do it without using words like liberal and conservative..quote]

Democrats wouldn't know what to do with a real liberal in they fell into their lap and any republican who says they are a conservative is lying through their teeth.

Doing political humor now is like beating on a retarded child. thats' why their jokes come off as cruel and not funny.
              Last edited by grapeape; 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM.
              "The screenplay is first and foremost a selling tool." - Katzenberg

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
                Might be a good idea to lock this thread down. It's getting ugly in here.
                No, give him enough rope to hang himself.

Besides, I would still like for someone to post a ratings chart to see SNL's performance.

I also can't believe that only one person thought it was bad for SNL to rip off Family Guy. That is the cardinal sin of art!
                "The screenplay is first and foremost a selling tool." - Katzenberg

Comment

It's not much, here's this:

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2...atings-bounce/

February 24, 2008, 3:58 pm
                  Post-Strike ‘Saturday Night Live’ Gets Ratings Bounce

By Brian Stelter

The first post-strike episode of “Saturday Night Live” drew at least 6 million households, its highest number in twelve months, according to preliminary figures from Nielsen Media Research.

Although final figures will not be released until Thursday, the early numbers from metered markets (representing about 70 percent of the country) indicate that Saturday’s broadcast was tuned in by 15 percent of people who were watching television at the time. Prior to the writers’ strike, “SNL” had attracted an 11 percent share of the audience.

The ratings suggest that the show got a boost from viewers who were eager to see how it would handle its return after more than three months of writers’ strike-induced repeats. Tina Fey hosted the show; guests included Carrie Underwood, Steve Martin and Mike Huckabee. The Caucus blog has a recap of the political jokes.

Steve Martin, coincidentally, hosted “SNL” on Feb. 4, 2006, the last time the broadcast delivered such a high rating.
                  I'm not sure how much you can take from that though, since it was something of a special episode of SNL, coming off of the strike and all. I suppose that it does show that people still care about SNL, and many people who don't still watch the show week to week will still show up for a special episode.

Comment

Originally posted by grapeape View Post

Democrats wouldn't know what to do with a real liberal in they fell into their lap and any republican who says they are a conservative is lying through their teeth.
                    Oh for heaven's sake, spare us your incredible political insight - you're the one who took this thread down the political abyss in the first place.
                    Last edited by Goon Squad; 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Besides, I would still like for someone to post a ratings chart to see SNL's performance.
                      Why are you so hung up on ratings? Do you need other people to agree with you to validate your opinion?

Comment

I also can't believe that only one person thought it was bad for SNL to rip off Family Guy. That is the cardinal sin of art!

Here's some more fodder for you. In 1994 Jay Mohr blatantly ripped off a a character sketch from a stand-up "friend" of his. Mohr knew he was doing it, and when Michaels found out, Mohr's fate with the show was sealed.

An entire SKETCH he stole. In 1994. No one but him knew it.

So why not just use that to crucify the show?

For all we know, the writer of that "stolen" punchline was the only person involved in the show aware of his "reappropriation." Maybe he even asked his pal at FG if he could use it. Maybe it was the same writer. Whatever. It could have happened a million ways.

This is my final word in this thread. It's gotten silly and I've gotten sucked in. Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon Squad View Post
                          Speaking of liberal bias in comedy, I took great delight last night watching Jon Stewart absolutely brutalize that nasty republican Eliot Spitzer on the Daily Show last night.

Wait. What?

OMG! that was GREAT!

Holy Hullabaloo! This thread has officially been derailed. *run away*
                          si

Comment

Sorry guys. Thread locked.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

Working...
                            X