Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Stewart/Jim Cramer

If you missed this interview last night, I suggest you watch it on huffingtonpost.com. Stewart was brilliant and proved that he is much more than a comedian; he's an incredibly intelligent journalist. I also love Colbert and like Maher, but Stewart is in a different league.

Re: Jon Stewart/Jim Cramer

Cramer is a dork. Anyone still unclear on that?
    Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

He really let him have it. There are some interesting debates going on about all this. One of them is that the videos Stewart runs on Cramer are made to look like Cramer is secretly letting this other guy in on inside info when in actuality, Cramer was exposing all the tricks that go on behind the curtains. He still did what he said, but it's not nearly as "caught red-handed" as Stewart makes him out to be.

Another point, which I think is a noteworthy one, is that if you really want to look at whose fault this is, it's your own. There are never any gaurantees in investments. That info is there loud and clear any time you buy a stock. If there's any lesson to be learned from all this, it's *do your own research* before investing money. Of course people trying to sell you something are going to tell you it's a can't miss opportunity.

For those who don't know anything about Cramer, he's not nearly the genius he paints himself out to be. His two big "great decisions" that put him on the map weren't even made by himself (one was by a professor, the other was by his wife). So he's a bit of a naked emperor.

I think the only solace I get in this, is that I was hardcore studying investing the last 4 years, and one of the things I was going to do if I sold a spec was invest 90% of it in the stock market. I'm not saying I'm happy that I didn't sell anything, but it sure makes it easier.
      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
        I think the only solace I get in this, is that I was hardcore studying investing about the last 4 years, and one of the things I was going to do if I sold a spec was invest 90% of it in the stock market. I'm not saying I'm happy that I didn't sell anything, but it sure makes it easier.
        I would like to point out a slight contradiction in your post. If you say the fault is our own and we should "do our own research" -- which is exactly what you did, "hardcore studying" of investing for 4 years -- but yet it still led you to the conclusion that you would invest 90% of your money into the stock market -- then how is it our fault when such research and studying will still lead one down the wrong path? What hope is there if 4 years of hardcore studying still leads you to a bad investment?

This is John Stewart's point. How can one do good research when financial "experts" are giving you bad data?
        Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Cobert and Stewart are on my regular viewing list.

EJ

Comment

Jon Stewart is overrated.

Comment

Wilson, you are dead wrong. Yeah, we all know that stocks are a risk. But Stewart's main point with Cramer was more about the innocent, hard working people with 401k's and pensions who lost everything while some on Wall Street gamed the system for their own short term gains. Those people didn't take risks; they worked hard for many years thinking their company retirement funds were safe, which to this point in history were for the most part.

Comment

Yeah, I think that's the point Stewart was trying to make: CNBC and people like Cramer set themselves up as experts, giving advice, telling everyone that you can trust their advice 'cause they know what they're doing blahblahblah...but then fall back on "I'm just an entertainer" when the dookie hits the fan. They can't have it both ways: taking credit for accidentally giving good advice, but refusing to admit any culpability if the advice is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
                  Jon Stewart is overrated.
                  Is not. Is not.
                  Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
                    I would like to point out a slight contradiction in your post. If you say the fault is our own and we should "do our own research" -- which is exactly what you did, "hardcore studying" of investing for 4 years -- but yet it still led you to the conclusion that you would invest 90% of your money into the stock market -- then how is it our fault when such research and studying will still lead one down the wrong path? What hope is there if 4 years of hardcore studying still leads you to a bad investment?

This is John Stewart's point. How can one do good research when financial "experts" are giving you bad data?
                    I feel like I'm Cramer now. It's a fair point. And part of my problem is that I'm risky in general (I'm pursuing screenwriting for God's sakes) so I tend to ignore logic for the chance at untold millions. I guess what I'm saying is, no one's holding a gun to your head. And if I had invested my money and lost it all, I know I wouldn't be blaming anybody but myself. There is no sure thing.

The book that changed my view on things and *probably* (though not certainly) would've prevented me from investing it all was Barbarians at The Gate, about Nabisco's rise as a company. When I learned that only a small portion of the billions of dollars used to buy companies is actually "real" money, I knew there was a problem with our system. Highly recommended and a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                      Wilson, you are dead wrong. Yeah, we all know that stocks are a risk. But Stewart's main point with Cramer was more about the innocent, hard working people with 401k's and pensions who lost everything while some on Wall Street gamed the system for their own short term gains. Those people didn't take risks; they worked hard for many years thinking their company retirement funds were safe, which to this point in history were for the most part.
                      I am not qualified to argue the 401k point. I was arguing about investing in the stock market in general.

Comment

Just wanted to say hi before the thread got locked.

Douchebourough.
                        "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

From Wikipedia:

"Confidence tricks exploit human weaknesses like greed, dishonesty, vanity, but also virtues like honesty, compassion, or a naïve expectation of good faith on the part of the con artist...

Sometimes con men rely on naive individuals who put their confidence into get-rich-quick schemes, such as "too good to be true" investments. It may take years for the wider community to discover that such investment schemes are bogus. By the time they are discovered, many people may have lost their life savings to something in which they have been persuaded to invest."

180 degrees difference from Cramer.

:/
                          #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Stewart did an excellent job of pointing out how in bed the financial media have been with them and apparently neither group of experts know what the hell they are doing. These alleged "Masters of the Universe" in many of these financial companies and their media flacks have created nothing that is productive to the economy. Basically the 3 card monte dealers have proven themselves to be so dumb that the government is going to have to re-regulate them for the major reason that they are not bright enough, not to crap where they eat. They literally will need to have every applicable agency heavily regulate the markets, primarily to protect the public, but equally to protect these morons from themselves.

I wish Stewart went a little further and pointed out how Wall Street's and the financial media's ridiculous short term focus on quarterly earnings have forced massive offshoring of jobs so that CEOs make their numbers (and subsequently bonus themselves for cost reductions that usually result in diminished quality and savings that are an illusion.

Doubt it, call a major company and talk to Ravi (oops he answered with Mark) in Iowa (oops again, his Iowa number routes to India). When someone finally goes nuclear, the call eventually comes back to the skeleton staff left in the US.after you talk to about six people.

Comment

Which is a great time to bring up an awesome little-known gem: Outsourced, about a call-center manager who must train his replacement in India.

Comment

Working...
                              X