No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southland cancelled?

WTF?

I liked this show with its complicated storylines and pretty realistic portrayal of cops, detectives and people walking the edge.

According to Reuters, NBC said it was too gritty and dark, so they may shop it to cable. IMHO, I think the show was pretty expensive (the cast alone must have cost a good deal).

Guess NBC figures it's better to produce more pablum for the masses so as not to offend. This sux.
    I'm always right.

Re: Southland cancelled?

NBC has confirmed its penchant for asshattery by cancelling Southland before its second season even started. I've come to the conclusion that the chimpanzees running that network have no idea what the f*ck they're doing.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
      NBC has confirmed its penchant for asshattery by cancelling Southland before its second season even started. I've come to the conclusion that the chimpanzees running that network have no idea what the f*ck they're doing.
      AGREED! I hope ComCast buys them - fires Zucker and his monkeys and the company gets turned into a bread factory...

Regina King was AMAZING last year. She should have been nominated for an Emmy...

Wow

They just don't get it... plus they WASTED money by producing six 1 hour long episodes. (Probably $18-20 MM) Anybody who wastes $ in any other company in the world of business to that tune would be thrown out on their arse...

Ugh

--- Zazzzz

Comment

The f***king idiocy. I've seen all the episodes, and the show was damn cool. It even had decent ratings. And they cancelled it because it was appropriate for a 9pm slot?!

The f***king idiocy.

Zazzo's right. King should have been nommed, and Zucker and his cronies should be sacked. I'm even glad the Jay Leno show is a rating train wreck. TNT might get "Southland", though.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Unfortunately, Madbandit, NBC is set to make 300 million dollars a year even if the Jay Leno Show only averages a 1.5 in the main demographic.

They are doing this to pair it with Dateline on Friday.

It really is sh*t. Southland was one of the best new shows last year.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

I'm not surprised. The show was a bore. The first episode was OK for a first episode, but nothing earth-shattering. Bad casting was the main enemy here for this show. Nothing unique about the story or characters added another boring layer and I predicted this after the first episode.

I just don't see how you watch "The Wire", one of the most brilliantly written shows ever to be produced and be ok with other other cop shows. It didn't get any more real than with The Wire. I can't watch any cop show and think it's real after seeing The Wire. Maybe if Ed Burns did a realistic day in the life of LA and its corrupt city organizations, then we'd see a real portrayal of the police force here in LA, BUT the main problem is, there are no Ed Burns' in LA that love the city so much they write about it. There are no writers and storytellers that can write a great LA city profile piece about the city. Too bad I don't live in LA exactly, so I'd have no passion to tell a story there, or else, my show would kill.

Now only if my Modern Family prediction will come through next year, I'll be unbelievable.

Comment

I went into watching the show with an idea that I would hate it...I actually liked it...disappointed it's been cancelled.

Comment

Dog:

Let's not forget The Shield. I also like The Wire, but it's had it's bad moments, a completely wasted second season, for example.

And I can think of two writers who write well about LA and its cops: Joseph Wambaugh and James Ellroy.

N

Comment

Yeah, Shield was great for a few episodes here and there, but lost way too much steam going into the last few years and was so overly dramatic. I personally wouldn't put The Shield on the same level as The Wire, but it had its own merits, but ultimately, like Ellroy's Street Kings and LA Confidential, there was nothing uniquely LA about these stories. Shows like Shield and films like Kings are both stories that could have easily been set in any major city in the country.

Even with Ellroy's noir vision of LA, it still contains no substance in terms of the real problems that the city faces on a day to day basis. Street Kings, Shield, and Southland storylines are just stories bred from the wild stories of real corrupt LA officials, but none of these storylines or characters are ever seamlessly integrated from the city's beating heart and shown on screen.

There's a reason why shows like The Wire and a series like The Corner are taught more and more in school everyday as examples of ethics of city culture.

I had high hopes two years ago for Brian Grazer's new show about the FBI that was supposedly backed by the FBI themselves and would show what real agents go through on a daily basis, with the main character based on a real life agent who died on 9/11 in the towers. I was chomping at the bit for this and actually had a decent shot at getting on the series. The series was bought and paid for with a full episode order just on the pitch alone from Grazer. But they dropped it for... FRINGE. So now I refuse to watch FRINGE because the show doesn't depict anything real about the FBI and is probably a slap in the face to real-life investigators. Of course, a real show about the FBI would bore most people who couldn't handle it, so here we are, at the Fringe of society.

Comment

Working...
                  X