Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A & E's Hoarders

I know, another reality freak show, but I can't pull myself away. Not only is this concept compelling, as it shows how a person's obsession with collecting everything in sight destroys their lives, but I find it a great character study on neurotic behavior.

In the last episode, one of the hoarders, a father of three young children, forced the family into a tent outside their home in near freezing weather when bedbugs began feasting on his children. He kept them there for weeks, rather than risk losing his "collection." Disgusting.

It's fascinating to watch the hoarders try to rationalize their addiction and the appallingly filthy conditions in which they live. And from a screenwriting perspective, it's a great resource, especially for dialogue.

Re: A & E's Hoarders

Love this show.

EJ

Comment

I've seen quite a few episodes of this show. Completely fascinating for all the reasons laid out by Bio.

Disturbing but fascinating.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

As a neurotic at the other end of the spectrum - a clean freak - I find it almost painfully impossible to watch more than a few minutes of this show at a time. If I had kids, I would have them living outside in a tent because they were too messy.
        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
          I've seen quite a few episodes of this show. Completely fascinating for all the reasons laid out by Bio.

Disturbing but fascinating.
          I love that show. OCHD is a mental illness custom-made for television. My favorite thing is that they often start with an on-camera interview with the sufferer against a neutral background. They often look pretty together -- job, neat hair, etc. -- and it is only when they enter the house that you realize.

Comment

This show freaks me out! As an ex-librarian who likes to keep all her collections in specific places and order, I get claustrophobic watching this show.

Luckily for me (and my family) I collect small things, and have a phobia about things being neat and tidy. But to see others whose collections have taken over their houses and lives ... its like a horror movie!
            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

The best ones are the people that have a puddle of brown goo in their bathtubs so they simply "stop using it".

Although the show can be therapeutic, my sister watched a season and decided to clean everything she doesn't need or use out of her basement.

Comment

The old lady that kept a billion animals inside and around her home including a goat that injured its leg in barbed wire and chickens kept in indoor cages. It was quite vile.

Comment

Originally posted by pjc View Post
                  The best ones are the people that have a puddle of brown goo in their bathtubs so they simply "stop using it".

Although the show can be therapeutic, my sister watched a season and decided to clean everything she doesn't need or use out of her basement.
                  Yup. I have to clean out my apartment. NOW!

The ep that's on their website now is particularly creepy. I fairly normal looking middle aged man, sort of a Kris Kristofferson look alike, who's let his house be taken over by free roaming rats.

Hundreds if not thousands of rats.

http://bcove.me/wc6jk0x1
                  If you really like it you can have the rights
                  It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

This show makes my wife's skin crawl.....

and all I can think is, how can I create a character like that?

Fascinated with this show and Intervention.
                    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathmon View Post
                      This show makes my wife's skin crawl.....

and all I can think is, how can I create a character like that?

Fascinated with this show and Intervention.
                      yessss! take from real life. there's more likely a hoarder in you neighborhood than a serial killer or a washed up police detective.

a couple of months ago this woman who lived a few blocks from me was evicted from her apartment. it only made the news because the amount of stuff crammed her little rowhouse and removed was 4 blocks long.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                        a couple of months ago this woman who lived a few blocks from me was evicted from her apartment. it only made the news because the amount of stuff crammed her little rowhouse and removed was 4 blocks long.
                        OMG!

I definitely feel sick now ...

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                          yessss! take from real life. there's more likely a hoarder in you neighborhood than a serial killer or a washed up police detective.
                          Very true. There's an old timer who lives with his wife about two miles from us on the corner of a busy suburban intersection. They live in a sagging, filthy old farmhouse whose front porch overflows with so much junk that there's only a narrow path leading to the door. We call him the "old farmer who talks too much," because he sells local produce from a ramshackle stand on his property. Just about any time in the summer, you'll see him out there in his tattered t-shirt, ballcap and dusty overalls. If you stop and buy something, you'd better be prepared to spend at least 45 mins listening to him recount his entire life history. Weird thing is, I actually love it - my kids hate it, to the extent that I threaten them, saying if they don't behave, we're gonna go buy something from the old man who talks too much.

Here's the kicker, word has it on good authority that he's a millionaire. He and his brothers sold their sprawling farm property to condo developers about twenty years ago.

And yes, he's gonna show up in one of my stories sooner or later.

Comment

This thread reminds me of the time my husband and I were looking at a "new" apartment in an old house near campus. The owners of the building were renting out the upstairs, which had been carved into two apartments. We were shown both of them, one that was clean and neat, with no rugs, just wooden floors - and the other ...

There was no clutter, a few pieces of very dirty furniture, but the rug had a path worn in it, from the front door, through to the kitchen. Wherever there was a rug, there was a path leading to the next room worn completely through the rug to the wooden floor beneath, and the rugs were so dirty you could see the dirt. It was caked on.

The owners of the house said two brothers had lived there for years, and just moved out. Maybe there had been so much junk in the apartment that they could only walk on these "designated" paths. Or maybe, they just dragged their feet. Who knows! Made my imagination run wild.

Comment

Working...
                            X