Can Conan beat out Stewart and Colbert at the same time slot?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Conan beat out Stewart and Colbert at the same time slot?

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/come...ephen-colbert/

Both Colbert and Stewart have upped their contracts after Conan announced he'd be going on at the same time slot on cable just like the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report.

I like Conan and all. I think he's a hell of a lot funnier and more original than that hack Leno at least, but I think he's going to get torn up going up against Stewart and Colbert. They've got basically the same demographic, but Stewart and Colbert are both on a network with strong footing and strong branding (what does TBS have? Lame Tyler PErry shows?), and their shows have much more substance than any of the late night talk shows.

Does anyone really believe for a second Conan isn't going straight to the bottom in this deal?

Re: Can Conan beat out Stewart and Colbert at the same time slot?

Time slots & content & demos are somewhat moot points in 2010.

Both CO and the Stewart/Colbert shows(as Lopez) have major cable network talk shows that can air 2 or 3 times a day 5 days a week. About 3/4 hours of Comedy Central's 24hr TV airplay is The Daily Show or Colbert Report.
    Plus you must factor in the web content, Youtube Hulu etc. DVRs & TiVos will be used by a lot of the important male 18-34 demo.

The production companies and network execs know they will still get the ad $$$ and ratings from one source or another.

95-98% of the "Leno vs Coco" and the TBS/Fox contracts are media hype used to fill segment time. It's funny to me how worked up & emotional some people get over people they don't know or will never meet. When TBS NBC or Viacom starts to send me checks, then I get more concerned, .
    I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Personally, Conan's goofy humor will never stack up to the substance you get in Daily Show/Colbert humor.

But I think they are different. People who care less about social commentary and just want wacky laughs will tune into Conan.

Comment

TBS probably just wants a foothold in late night, you have to figure they know what they are getting. The bright side for virers is more choices, if whoever you watch first is off their game on a given night.

Comment

Coco & the Peacock...

Coco punched the Peacock's clock for nearly 17 years.
          They burned him & the Tonight crew bad. O'Brian has more than enough FU $$$. It would be good if the TBS show works out, but he should not act like a dancing monkey over it.
          I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Working...
          X