Leno gets worst rating then Conan did in the same slot!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leno gets worst rating then Conan did in the same slot!

Jay Leno has just posted the worst summer ratings for the Tonight Show, even worse then when Conan had the reigns.

Now is Jay gonna give up the show? He did after all, justify taking Conan's show because of the ratings (albeit the coveted age group)... and now he's done worse!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/..._id=1004112779

NBC might have summer's most-watched show in "America's Got Talent," but the network's late-night ratings aren't so sunny.

"The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" is pulling a smaller number in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic than when Conan O'Brien hosted the show last year.

In fact, this summer is the lowest-rated "Tonight" on record, though such feats have become increasingly common on broadcast across the board.

Since the end of the broadcast season, Leno is averaging 3.8 million viewers and a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. That's a 12% improvement in total audience compared with O'Brien, though off 23% in the demo and down in both measurements compared with Leno's performance two years ago. His percentages greatly improve if comparisons begin a few weeks deeper into the summer so "Tonight" is not facing O'Brien's opening weeks hosting the show, though O'Brien is tops in the demo either way.
    Last edited by nathanq; 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM.

Re: Leno gets worst rating then Conan did in the same slot!

I got no dogs in this race, but I guess we read different.

That's a 12% improvement in total audience compared with O'Brien
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
    Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
      I got no dogs in this race, but I guess we read different.
      I didn't change the title of the Hollywood Reporter article which states the ratings were worse. The point it makes is that Leno is doing worse in the demographic that matters.

That 12% increase in total audience was not in the coveted demographic, and was mostly people in old age which is not who advertisers will pay to have access to.

Comment

He's got more old people watching but less people watching who actually spend money (18-49). Advertisers don't give two sh!ts how many octogenarians watch because they ain't gonna purchase the products or watch the other shows they see advertised. So, that audience group is worthless to advertisers. Conan attracted more people who theoretically spend money on those products.

That's why it's worse.
        "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Conan is awesome, I hope he thrives on TBS (which I still find odd...who really watches TBS...). Never cared for Leno. Also, not to be a grammar Goebbels, but the title should read "than", not "then".

Comment

"Grammer Geobbles." That's funny.

Go Conan.

Comment

He's got more old people watching but less people watching who actually spend money (18-49).
              OT, but this is why a lot of bad shows stay on the air even if their overall viewership drops. This applies double to weblets like The CW, and others.

Back OT...

I've always been team CoCo since the whole Conan/Leno debacle happened and long before that (I graduated high school the year Conan's late night show premiered!)

However, as we discussed last year, this whole mess is ultimately Jeff Zucker's fault for not thinking about the long-term future of NBC, and creating competition on his own network. What a nimrod

Anyway, what is past is prologue.

I think "Conaw" will do just fine on TBS. Especially with a George Lopez lead-in since they both cater to much younger audiences... The very coveted demographic whom Jay Leno is losing as we speak. Irony?

In a way, I hope NBC comes crawling back to Conan... And he tells them go screw themselves and then goes for years on TBS beating out Leno's replacement and possibly David Letterman's for the ultimate revenge.
              Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why they even give old people TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                  Sometimes I wonder why they even give old people TVs.

Loneliness, I guess. I pray to God when I'm a senior citizen, I won't entranced by daytime TV.

As for Leno bombing, it's basically no surprise. His second "swansong" is going to be the most embarrassing moment on TV since Jimmy Swaggart cried for sleeping with "a lady of the evening". He blew his chance to be like Carson when he took the 10pm slot, five times a week.

The big problem for NBC is that the current programming dept. doesn't how to let go of TV shows/personalities that were hits nearly 20 years ago ("Seinfeld", "Friends", etc) while welcoming the ones that are UNSCRIPTED, BOW-TIE WEARING BULLS*** (don't get started with "A Minute To Win It". JUST DON'T.).

They better hope the new shows ("The Event", "Undercovers" and "Outsourced" look to be the most interesting) don't crash and burn and be thankful one of their shows (yeah, I'm talking about "Chuck"!) has the audience they should have catered to in the first place.
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                    Also, not to be a grammar Goebbels, but the title should read "than", not "then".
                    And 'worse', not 'worst'.

Come on, people...we're writers! This should a lay-up for us, not a three-pointer.

Anyway...a little while back, I forgot Leno was still on TV. Then I forgot again.

Stop reminding me!

Comment

I miss Johnny Carson. You guys will never understand. You had to be there when it was "new." He could make us laugh just with a well-timed expression.
                      We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        And 'worse', not 'worst'.

Come on, people...we're writers! This should a lay-up for us, not a three-pointer.

Anyway...a little while back, I forgot Leno was still on TV. Then I forgot again.

Stop reminding me!
                        Looks like you missed a word there.
                        Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                        Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
                          I miss Johnny Carson. You guys will never understand. You had to be there when it was "new." He could make us laugh just with a well-timed expression.
                          I don't doubt that. However, Leno thinks he's the next Carson, not realizing it's not 1987 anymore.
                          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Carson out-takes are better than most of these guys on the ball.

But he was cutting edge (and funniest) with double entendres that are tame in comparison to what is not taboo today. I don't believe I ever saw a joke from him that was not dripping with sexual sarcasm.....
                            Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X