X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JibJib
    replied
    Re: Hell's Kitchen

Ramsey doesnt seem as worked up on the british shows i have seen him in, (compared to the American version.)
    Last edited by JibJib; 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperLorna
    replied

This show should have been about people coming home from the bar and trying to make food drunk.

Leave a comment:

• SuperScribe
    replied

I agree, Ext. What they seem to be doing instead is painting Russell as the bad guy* so that viewers will root for ANYONE to beat him. Because right now, well, there's not really a contender. Jillian? Um, no.** Nona? I can't even remember her name from week to week.

And Trev?

(Why do I have a feeling Trev's gonna win?)

* I can imagine the producers egging Russell on when they're filming the short interview segments.

** Okay, I'm being a little hard on Jillian, but mostly because I think she's capable of a lot more than she's shown. Ramsay's pep talk should have lit a fire under her ass, but it didn't.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

As for this season-

I've hypothesized that you can basically film any restaurant service and come up with moments where the team is confused, not communicating, stressed and falling behind.

The ability to characterize it all with so much narration basically gives the producers a license to spin it any way they want, and gloss over the good parts until it serves the narrative to declare someone to be a promising contender.

I would much rather be rooting for someone than watching disasters and spats this late in the season.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
    They stay with the knowledge that they are unlikely to get fed, but that they might get on TV for a few seconds.

I can answer this with some authority having done it...

Hell's Kitchen was on La Brea for two seasons then moved down to an industrial sort of area just across the alley from one of Sony's off-the-main-lot facilities where I was doing some work. It was really weird down there- I used to run into the cast of Criminal Minds in that alley too.

I managed to finagle tickets to two tapings. For me it was just about seeing whether the food was good, and if not, watching the chef have a meltdown.

It does take a long time, but they pay you 40 bucks and the waiters serve all the wine they think you can handle.

Food-wise I wasn't thrilled. I got a shrimp amuse-bouche flameed tableside, then a crab terrine app that didn't taste all that much elevated beyond its ingredients. Our night, the kitchen got shut down and they had us do a mass walkout. So no entree.

I gave the second ticket to my then-GF because you can only be a restaurant patron once during any given season. She swears she had an amazing steak dinner.

The real prize is just getting to see the chef in action. Me and my GF both saw him flip out on people and it was a compelling sight. I also learned that Gordon has supernatural clapping abilities. He does these claps to get the kitchen's attention. A rapid one-two punch, with his hands cupped. Freakishly loud. Loud enough to cut through an entire restaurants' worth of background conversation.

Leave a comment:

• NePatsFan
    replied

Looks like Jillian is the best of the bunch. She is the one who least frequently gets yelled at. She dropped a salmon on the floor - so what? That doesn't make her a bad chef.

The others are constantly getting chewed out.

Leave a comment:

• scripto80
    replied

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
    "Trev has successfully tossed Sabrina's salad" is my favorite line this season. (The writers must have had a good Beavis & Butthead chuckle over that one.)
    Hahaha, I loved that one. Twas great.

Leave a comment:

• SuperScribe
    replied

Russell is the only chef who's really worth anything. (Though Gail could be a contender if she steps up her game.)

Trev... Trev's just friggin' funny.

SPOILERS FOR LAST NIGHT'S EPPY

(I gotta admit that I'm going to miss Sabrina. That saucy little blonde was one of the reasons I tuned in every week.)

Leave a comment:

• Writerperson12
    replied

I caught the last couple episodes (haven't watched it since the first seasons!) and I couldn't believe how the final six contestants could be that terrible. It seems fixed, but I still can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. I also enjoyed the salad moment, SS.

Leave a comment:

• SuperScribe
    replied

"Trev has successfully tossed Sabrina's salad" is my favorite line this season. (The writers must have had a good Beavis & Butthead chuckle over that one.)

Leave a comment:

• peasblossom
    replied

Originally posted by Lucha Scribre View Post
    With this on the TV (I have the past seasons on my Xbox), I'd listen to it while cooking. My food actually looked better and tasted better. But when it's not on... a sandwich is all I make
    I've found this too. If I'm making dinner while watching a cooking comp. show, I end up putting garnishes on the plate, adding some sort of sauce. Inspired, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Lucha Scribre
    replied

With this on the TV (I have the past seasons on my Xbox), I'd listen to it while cooking. My food actually looked better and tasted better. But when it's not on... a sandwich is all I make

Leave a comment:

• SuperScribe
    replied

I hear you, Telly. In fact, I was complaining about the same thing just a season and a half ago ("What happened to the, you know, cooking?"). Then I let go and fully immersed myself in the hilarity of the damned thing, and now I'm a fan again.

I DO like Master Chef and Top Chef (so far), though.

Leave a comment:

• Telly
    replied

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
    Who said anything about quality? If I want quality, I'll watch Louie.
    I know what you guys are saying, and normally I'd agree. The problem is, it DID start as a quality show and turned into garbage. I guess that's why I'm "being too hard". If it started out as mindless crap, I wouldn't care, but I invested my time into it so I just wanted to vent for a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• SuperScribe
    replied

Originally posted by Telly View Post
    You've said that. So is a dog jumping through a hoola-hoop. Doesn't mean it's a quality show.
    Who said anything about quality? If I want quality, I'll watch Louie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X