Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant but so screwed

I've been watching both Terriers and Rubicon from the start. I know there are other threads on them, but I wanted to start this one, in my usual pessimistic nature, as an early eulogy. The ratings are so bad so they really have no chance for season two.

I really liked both of these shows from episode one. But weeks in now, I am in LOVE with them. Really brilliant stuff. Rubicon is starting to tie things together almost as expertly as The Wire did each season. It's beautifully shot, excellent score. And the fact that they had Rocket From The Crypt and Afghan Whigs on Will's stereo last week won my heart forever.

Terriers seemed like nothing more than a quirky P.I. show at first. Almost like it tried too hard. But from week two on it got better and better. Dark and interesting. It's got a Chinatown-style plot that has kept me hooked.

I know it's the way it goes. I've complained about losing too many good shows too early in the past. But thumbs up from me. These guys are all raising the bar.

Re: Brilliant but so screwed

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
    And the fact that they had Rocket From The Crypt and Afghan Whigs on Will's stereo last week
    This alone has piqued my interest. I'll check it out. Never even heard of this show.

Comment

Not too intrigued by either, but I wouldn't write their eulogy just yet. The best thing they have going for them is -- they're on FX and AMC.

If it were the mothership (Fox) they'd already be replaced, but basic cable networks understand from the get-go that viewership will be slim and they give the show at least a chance to gain good word-of-mouth before pulling the plug.
      "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
      - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
        Not too intrigued by either, but I wouldn't write their eulogy just yet. The best thing they have going for them is -- they're on FX and AMC.

If it were the mothership (Fox) they'd already be replaced, but basic cable networks understand from the get-go that viewership will be slim and they give the show at least a chance to gain good word-of-mouth before pulling the plug.
        I agree. But I'm just trying not to get my hopes up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy weren't exactly breakout hits right? They grew heavily in their subsequent seasons. I think FX could at least go one more season (if not for Shawn Ryan), give it much better marketing, and have it follow a successful show (like Justified) rather than having its own night.

I think Rubicon has far less of a chance.

Comment

I gave Rubicon a shot, but when after 4 episodes, nothing had happened I quit on it.

I liked Terriers from the start and its only gotten better and better with each subsequent episode. Great dark humor and great chemistry between the characters.
          "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Very much agree with the original post.

Terriers
            and Rubicon are really good. My favorite shows of the season. The writing is top notch. Terriers is going interesting places. The ratings really are poor, so I am definitely pulling for both to make it to year two.

Comment

Working...
            X