Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Murphy to host the Oscars!

Great news... I think. Eddie's career has gone so far down hill over the last few years and hopefully he can turn it around... that's if he can live up to that incredible edgy 'purple suit' comedy he used to do. But one thing is clear: there's almost no way this can be as bad as last year's Hathaway/Franco disaster.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...my-awards.html

The rumors became a reality Tuesday: Eddie Murphy will host the 84th Academy Awards, which will be telecast Feb. 26 on ABC, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced.

Buzz started circulating over Labor Day weekend that the 50-year-old comedian-actor was being considered for the host job. In some ways, it's no surprise, since Murphy is starring in the upcoming film "Tower Heist," which was directed by Brett Ratner -- who is also producing the Academy Awards show with Don Mischer. "Tower Heist" is set to open in November.

By selecting Murphy, the academy is returning to its comedic host roots. The academy attempted to court younger viewers, hiring James Franco and Anne Hathaway to host the 83rd Academy Awards in February. Franco, who in addition to hosting was nominated for a lead actor Oscar for "127 Hours," was roundly trounced by critics for his lackluster performance; reviews were kinder toward Hathaway.
    ...and some vintage Eddie for you: Eddie Murphy on McDonalds(Raw)
    Last edited by nathanq; 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM.

Re: Eddie Murphy to host the Oscars!

I think this move by Eddie represents a good compromise. He's been hounded to death for two decades now over whether or not he'd return to standup. In a way, he'll be doing that -- and wisely in a controlled environment.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Ah vintage Eddie... exactly what we will not see during the Oscars.

Comment

Am I the only one who actually cares about the awards and not all the pointless crap inbetween them?

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
          Am I the only one who actually cares about the awards and not all the pointless crap inbetween them?
          So you're the one.

Why do you still care about the pointless awards?...which are frequently just the product of in-industry advertising/lobbying campaigns.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
            So you're the one.

Why do you still care about the pointless awards?...which are frequently just the product of in-industry advertising/lobbying campaigns.
            Because they miraculously still have more substance than all the song and dance and non-funny nonsense.

Comment

All over the internet, the younger generation of moviegoers, blind to the man's former brilliance, care not.

Personally, I don't think he'll be any worse than that wannabe Nick & Nora concoction earlier this year.

Waiting for Carrey or Seinfeld to get the call one day.
              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

If it's Shrek, Daddy Day Care, Norbit, Murphy then no thanks. If it's 48hrs, Trading Places, Coming to America, Murphy then HELL YES!
                "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

I think that Murphy doing this will surely change things up a slight bit... but I agree... LighterD - 48hrs, Trading Places, Coming to America, Murphy then HELL YES!

Shrek is just his family comic relief... it's not bad... but just not for the Oscars.

Although, Crystal will be missed again!

= D
                  D. Alin
                  http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Originally posted by LighterD View Post
                    If it's Shrek, Daddy Day Care, Norbit, Murphy then no thanks. If it's 48hrs, Trading Places, Coming to America, Murphy then HELL YES!
                    We want to see Eddie Murphy RAW at the Oscars. That's the Eddie Murphy people love and miss.
                    I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      We want to see Eddie Murphy RAW at the Oscars. That's the Eddie Murphy people love and miss.
                      Exactly. If Eddie can't say ****, then he loses a lot of the "charm" many of us grew up on.

Comment

Eddie Murphy on Letterman about his Oscar Hosting:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/osca...dance-numbers/

Eddie Murphy was on Late Night With David Letterman last night to promote Tower Heist, giving Letterman a chance to ask about Murphy's upcoming Oscar-hosting gig. "It aint all it's cracked up to be,- said a semi-joking Letterman, a former Oscar host himself. Murphy then went on to talk about what won't be on his Oscarcast. Here's the clip:
                        Hopefully he's not trying to set low expectations for an anesthetized performance. I hope he goes all out.

Comment

Goonie goo goo Gus! What the **** is goonie goo goo?
                          Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                            Goonie goo goo Gus! What the **** is goonie goo goo?
                            It's from his famous stand up special- Delirious-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awrfIReVQtA

Comment

I would be curious to see Eddie Murphy host the oscars... He has always been my favorite comedy actor.. I think the role will fit him just fine

Comment

Working...
                              X