Jump The Shark Moments In Last Five Years?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump The Shark Moments In Last Five Years?

The website is no more since being purchased by TV Guide some years ago. Any JTS moments in the last five yrs?
    sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Re: Jump The Shark Moments In Last Five Years?

Kathy Bates shows up on THE OFFICE.

AMERICAN IDOL introduces the Judge's Save.

WIPEOUT: WINTER EDITION.

Comment

The phrase being over-used.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

The entire last season of Entourage.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
          The entire last season of Entourage.

It was THE LAST season.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
            The phrase being over-used.
            Yeah. I thought we were supposed to use "Nuke the fridge" now.

Comment

...sc111 trying to prove her psychic powers to Jeff Lowell.

Comment

The new trend seems to be pre-jumping. Shows like American Horror Story and Smash start with the shark already jumped. Saves time.

Comment

that's cold, paul.
                  "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                  -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
                    ...sc111 trying to prove her psychic powers to Jeff Lowell.
                    Are you kidding? I haven't been this excited since Fearless Fonzarelli jumped over the garbage cans!

HH

Comment

Heroes from second season opener. After an explosive finale to a stellar first season, it genuinely seemed as if they were making it up as they went along after that, writers' strike or not.
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

I've only seen the first season of HEROES (watched it for the first time last year), which was great, and then stopped there because I heard about how bad it got.

Although, truth be told, I think they botched the finale of the first season. They build up this confrontation all season, and the way it actually plays out feels like they ran short on money and time just when they needed it most. It wasn't awful, but they didn't stick the landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                          Heroes from second season opener. After an explosive finale to a stellar first season, it genuinely seemed as if they were making it up as they went along after that, writers' strike or not.
                          I think Heroes and Lost is the perfect example of team writing, especially when the team changes over time. Concepts get all disjointed.

Lost survived primarily because of great characters and love triangles.

Heroes failed to have enough of either.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
                            I think Heroes and Lost is the perfect example of team writing, especially when the team changes over time. Concepts get all disjointed.

Lost survived primarily because of great characters and love triangles.

Heroes failed to have enough of either.

Well, that's because you had a creator who didn't know SQUAT about superhero mythology and didn't even bother to. He even had the gall to not only can Jeph Loeb, a guy who has written comic books as well as TV and film, but also insult the fans who knew something was wrong.

I didn't even bother to watch the show because once they had the "save the cheerleader, save the world" tagline, I knew the show was smoke and mirrors at the heart of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                              Well, that's because you had a creator who didn't know SQUAT about superhero mythology and didn't even bother to. He even had the gall to not only can Jeph Loeb, a guy who has written comic books as well as TV and film, but also insult the fans who knew something was wrong.

I didn't even bother to watch the show because once they had the "save the cheerleader, save the world" tagline, I knew the show was smoke and mirrors at the heart of it.
                              Too true. I hung in there to the bitter end waiting for something... anything... to turn on Heroes. It never did.

I can't say they didn't "try" to emulate comics. But their emulation was all toneless. Sylar was meant to be some Magneto type with his bad guy/good guy/bad guy flops. I suppose Suresh was supposed to be a Xavier type at first but then he went all Brundlefly for a while which was just plain odd. Peter has his powers, doesn't have his powers, has his powers reminded me of a familiar namesake with all his self doubts and self loathing. Nathan's whole Lex Luthoresque bid for President. Days of Future Past. The Circus of Crime. Yadda yadda yadda. Too much in too small of a box.

Comment

Working...
                              X