Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherlock - A must see brilliant series

To my surprise, the BBC's "Sherlock", which updates the classic detective stories to 21st century, has no mentions on this board. And it's something you MUST watch.

Two seasons in 2010-2011, both of which have three 90-minute episodes. So it's basically a series of TV-movies. It became a huge hit in Britain, got rave reviews, and collected many of the biggest awards. Season three is coming out next year. You can get the first two seasons on DVD.

The premise updates Sherlock Holmes to modern times, and the results are often stunning. Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Freeman as Watson are BRILLIANT, and their relationship is literally one of the greatest on-screen relationships I have ever seen. I'm not kidding. The show basically makes Sherlock a highly intelligent sociopath with little human emotion, where as Watson's military background is brought to the front. Over the course of the series, the humanity of Watson (who also has his own demons) becomes the salvation for the borderline-psychotic Sherlock. Their relationship is constantly evolving, and has great payoffs.

Dialogue is exceptional, and often very, very funny. The stories themselves are adapted to modern times with great skill, often changed drastically from their origins. Even if you have read the novels, the show offers a lot of surprises. The only weak link is the 2nd episode on season 1, but even that has its rewards.

I can't recommend this show enough. It's magical. I had to watch all six 90-minute episodes in two days, couldn't get enough of them.

And you are going to hear a lot of Cumberbatch in the next couple of years. This series made Hollywood pay attention, and now he is playing the lead villain both in Star Trek 2 and The Hobbit.

9.1 at IMDB. Check it out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/
    Last edited by tuukka; 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM.

Re: Sherlock - A must see brilliant series

Sherlock is a good series, but at 9.1 it is overrated, given that it suffers from the main character: There are moments when Sherlock Holmes comes across as too over the top, making me think that the creators tried too hard to come up with an intelligent and odd character.

The first season of Whitechapel, another BBC series, is far superior, in my opinion. More believable characters, a lot more thrilling. Three episodes of pure suspense -- highly recommended, but "only" given a 7.6 rating on IMDB.

(Note that I have not seen season two of Sherlock, yet. I am going to catch up soon. Season two of Whitechapel left me rather underwhelmed.)
    Jesus, if this guy owned a funeral parlor nobody would die!

Comment

It's not only Sherlock who's OTT, but also Mycroft, Adler, Moriarty, Molly, etc. I think the whole series is somewhat over the top, down to cinematography and editing. It's a deliberate stylistic choice, and a good way to enchance the black humor of the show.

Sure, it won't appeal to everyone. For the first 10-15 minutes of the first episode, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. Everything was just so... Over the top. But eventually it won me over, because it was just so damn good at what it was trying to accomplish.

Comment

I'm a Moffat fanboy so I love it.

Sherlock Holmes was also over the top in the books. There's some things I didn't even think they would put in (like the drug use) but they got it from the books.
        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

I'm getting the Jekyll series now, and I'm going to browse through the Moffat-written Dr.Who episodes. it's always exciting to find a new voice who speaks to you on a more personal level - I hope his other output meets my expectations. Judging by the raves it has gotten, it probably does.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
            I'm getting the Jekyll series now, and I'm going to browse through the Moffat-written Dr.Who episodes. it's always exciting to find a new voice who speaks to you on a more personal level - I hope his other output meets my expectations. Judging by the raves it has gotten, it probably does.
            Jekyll didn't quite work for me (maybe it was Jimmy Nesbitt). Moffatt has been writing in Britain for years, a lot of us grew up with his ITV children's show Press Gang. He was also responsible for the sit-com Coupling, which I believed was made into a (failed) US pilot/series.
            @MacBullitt

Comment

I love Sherlock, mainly because of Watson and Sherlock's friendship, which is great fun to watch. And Mr. Cumberbatch is one of those actors who if he plays his card right, may end up being an actor whose performances surprise and enthrall us for decades to come. He's that good.

Can't wait to see both actors in the three Hobbit movies.

Comment

I loved the new Moriarty. The new Sherlock talks *way* too damn much.

Comment

I loved this show when I first saw it, and still do. One thing that made me laugh (and still does every time) is when you've got the 'drugs bust' going down, and Anderson just keeps getting insulted, ending with Sherlock saying something like, "No, I'm a high-functioning sociopath, do the research, Anderson!" I also enjoyed the dynamic between Moriarty and Sherlock. its kinda too bad Moriarty is no longer in it; but I'm sure they'll come up with an interesting element for Series 3.

Oh, and I didn't realize the guy playing Sherlock was going to be in the Hobbit as well; I knew Freeman was, but not Benedict Cumberbatch. I knew Cumberbatch was playing the villain in Trek 2 (with suggestions ranging from the Starfleet captain that was endowed with god-like powers to our old friend Khan). (Insert pause) Woah. Didn't see that coming for what he's doing in Hobbit....

Comment

There are now also a lot of rumors that Cumberbatch will be playing the Necromancer (Sauron) in The Hobbit Trilogy. Which might mean an actual physical role and a performance, not just a voice. They are planning for extensive additional shoots to fill out the three films, and Cumberbatch's role might get a lot bigger.

If the rumors of Khan in Star Trek 2 are true, he's building an extremely impressive body of work right now: Sherlock Holmes, Khan, Smaug, Sauron...

Comment

I too love the new BBC Sherlock & Watson. A minor complaint is that the plots are somewhat needlessly complex (with significant logic gaps). But the acting is so outstanding it makes up for this shortcoming. I do wish we could get more than 3 episodes at a time. I'm dying for the next three to arrive here in the U.S.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the actor who plays Watson is in The Hobbit. I started wondering who he might be playing, so I just looked at The Hobbit trailer and was surprised and delighted to see that he plays Bilbo himself!

Benedict has amazing talent and I'm sure he has a glorious career ahead of him.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

There are now also a lot of rumors that Cumberbatch will be playing the Necromancer (Sauron) in The Hobbit Trilogy. Which might mean an actual physical role and a performance, not just a voice. They are planning for extensive additional shoots to fill out the three films, and Cumberbatch's role might get a lot bigger.
                        He's fantastic in Parade's End, a BBC-HBO co-production, presently airing in the UK. His ability to portray suppressed emotion is just so moving.

Comment

Fine piece of television. (except S01E02, a rather weak installment)

I believe series 3 is shooting early 2013.

Fans of UK TV should also check out crime drama LINE OF DUTY (arguably the British "Shield") and comedy writers should seek out THREESOME.
                          NOTES / COVERAGE
                          15,000+ Screenplays
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                            Fine piece of television. (except S01E02, a rather weak installment)

I believe series 3 is shooting early 2013.

Fans of UK TV should also check out crime drama LINE OF DUTY (arguably the British "Shield") and comedy writers should seek out THREESOME.

Don't forget LUTHER -- a great show, and Idris Elba is brilliant in it. I can't wait for the next series!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474684/

Comment

If the rumors of Khan in Star Trek 2 are true, he's building an extremely impressive body of work right now: Sherlock Holmes, Khan, Smaug, Sauron...

They aren't rumors, he will indeed play Sauron.

Comment

Working...
                              X