Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfits

Absolutely superb! Hilariously funny, with drama and sci-fi thrown in too.

5 chavs (therefore utterly repellant), on community service, get caught in a freak storm and develop super (and not so super) powers. The humour may be too British for those Stateside but I urge everyone to check it out - it's on Netflix in the UK so maybe Netflix USA, too.

The show brilliantly highlights the difference between stringent US television limits and the UK. This is a show that airs on standard TV, at 9pm, and is chock-full with "fuck", "cunt", "twat", bullets to the head, and sex.

Re: Misfits

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Absolutely superb! Hilariously funny, with drama and sci-fi thrown in too.

5 chavs (therefore utterly repellant), on community service, get caught in a freak storm and develop super (and not so super) powers. The humour may be too British for those Stateside but I urge everyone to check it out - it's on Netflix in the UK so maybe Netflix USA, too.

The show brilliantly highlights the difference between stringent US television limits and the UK. This is a show that airs on standard TV, at 9pm, and is chock-full with "fuck", "cunt", "twat", bullets to the head, and sex.
    Misfits shows me why British TV will never succeed.

Comment

Huh?

Original, unique, compelling. A comedy that's hilarious, unpredictable, with a tense narrative to keep you watching - yeah, I see what you mean.

Comment

Huh?
        I don't like the show. I don't like anything made here. Not Merlin, not Coronation Street. Not Luther. Nothing.

We've got potential though, problem is the best directors/producers/actors run off to America the first chance they get.

Comment

And there's me thinking you were a Yank!

I don't like Downton Abbey but I appreciate it's well made so I'm not sue why "like" has to come into it. Even if you don't like it, you must - surely - acknowledge it's inventiveness, dialogue & characterisation?

Then again, maybe not?

Comment

And there's me thinking you were a Yank!

I don't like Downton Abbey but I appreciate it's well made so I'm not sue why "like" has to come into it. Even if you don't like it, you must - surely - acknowledge it's inventiveness, dialogue & characterisation?

Then again, maybe not?
            I haven't even watched one episode .

Comment

I'm confused. I'm talking about Misfits - are you saying you haven't seen an episode of Misfits or Downton?

Comment

I'm confused. I'm talking about Misfits - are you saying you haven't seen an episode of Misfits or Downton?
                Haven't seen an episode of Downtown.

Comment

I'm with these guys

Critical response

British reviews have been very positive. The Times gave it four out of five stars, calling it "a new union — salty British street humour with whizz-bang special effects" which should "keep E4's core audience happy".[22] An online review by The Guardian said that it was "confident enough to operate in its own universe and set up something new" and that it was aimed at showing us "real people" rather than the stereotype of the "ASBO teenager".[23]

The Guardian's print reviewer was also enthusiastic, saying: "Misfits is indeed silly — sillier, even, than it sounds — but it's also brilliant: sharp, funny, dark and, in places, quite chilling. Both the writing and the performances ensure that everything but the preposterous central premise remains entirely believable."[24] The Daily Telegraph drew special attention to Howard Overman's script which, it said, "sparkled from the off, introducing his posse of social outcasts as a bunch of total losers, but each one distinctively and memorably so."[25]

The Irish media have also been impressed with the show. The Evening Herald called the debut episode "dark, hilarious, exciting and beautifully produced". It went on to say that "the spark comes from Overman's razor-sharp script, yet a lot of the credit also has to go to the well-chosen young cast, who are uniformly superb".

In June 2011, it was made available online in the United States via Hulu, where it became one of the service's most-watched .

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                    Misfits shows me why British TV will never succeed.
                    I've got two words for you: "Peep Show"

(Since that can be a bit ambiguous, I consider "Peep Show" an amazing show. I used to watch when I lived in England. Really miss it now.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                      I've got two words for you: "Peep Show"

(Since that can be a bit ambiguous, I consider "Peep Show" an amazing show. I used to watch when I lived in England. Really miss it now.)
                      Yup. British comedy is the best.

But I'm talking more about shows in the vein of Prison Break, Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Supernatural etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                        Yup. British comedy is the best.

But I'm talking more about shows in the vein of Prison Break, Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Supernatural etc.

We won't spend the money - can you imagine our version of The Walking Dead? It'd look like a 1978 episode of Dr Who.

But we rule at comedy!

Comment

We won't spend the money - can you imagine our version of The Walking Dead? It'd look like a 1978 episode of Dr Who.

But we rule at comedy!
                          Yes to both these but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing for walking dead, Revolution, Last rersort or that one about the Aliens who's name I can't remember.

Some of the Brit "Cheezy Scifi" is (was) good too, almost better for the low budget... Loved Tomorrow people and Blakes 7 as a kid*. Your writers have got the whizz bangery of the states and don't devolve every show into an episode of young and the restless. It's always about the story, not who's going shag who this week

*disclaimer. I'd love to see them again as an adult but I'd probably be horribly dissapointed
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                            *disclaimer. I'd love to see them again as an adult but I'd probably be horribly dissapointed

I know the feeling! I once bought a compendium pack of old arcade games for my Playstation. I was excited! Then so bummed out

Comment

The Red Riding trilogy looked good enough. So did the first episode of The Fades (that's the only one I've seen). State of Play was also great.

Of course, the budget is going to limit what you can do in British television, but that's a long way from "sucking".

Also, didn't the BBC coproduce Rome?

I'll agree that the most attractive aspect of British television is the writing, but shows don't need to be expensive to be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X