Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cartoon studios

Can anyone think of some other cartoon studios like looney toons and Hannah Babera? I'm trying to find some old cartoons I liked as a kid, and can't remember the name of the other company (a lesser known company I think) that use to make them. Any ideas other than Disney?
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: old cartoon studios

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    Can anyone think of some other cartoon studios like looney toons and Hannah Babera? I'm trying to find some old cartoons I liked as a kid, and can't remember the name of the other company (a lesser known company I think) that use to make them. Any ideas other than Disney?
    Disney
    Hanna-Barbera
    MGM
    UPA
    Warner Bros.

I think there were a few others, but those were the big cartoon studios.

Comment

Re: old cartoon studios

I found what I was looking for it was called The Captain's Christmas and was an MGM cartoon. I'm going to try find it on youtube.
      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Re: Old cartoon studios

There was the Fleischer Studios which made the Popeye (comic book artist Jack Kirby worked on them), Betty Boop and Superman shorts and they were associated with Paramout Pictures. There was also Famous Studios, which was Paramout's own cartoon studio, and Terrytoons (Ralph Bakshi started at the latter).

UPA was associated with Columbia Pictures, which had their own cartoon dept., Screen Gems. The dept. later became their TV division and now it's Sony's B-genre and African-American-centric banner.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I consider myself an "old skool cartoons connoisseur " mainly 70's,80's early 90's.

you might have already known about this website, but it's great for retro memories.

don't forget about Ruby/Spears. and also Lou Scheimer. they both had some cool stuff.

Mr T, Rubik the amazing cube,rambo and the forces of freedom, chuck norris, happy days...hulk hogan rock and wrestling.

check em out here

retrojunk.com
          • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Antenna TV sometimes runs a string of UPA cartoons.
            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
              I consider myself an "old skool cartoons connoisseur " mainly 70's,80's early 90's.

you might have already known about this website, but it's great for retro memories.

don't forget about Ruby/Spears. and also Lou Scheimer. they both had some cool stuff.

Mr T, Rubik the amazing cube,rambo and the forces of freedom, chuck norris, happy days...hulk hogan rock and wrestling.

check em out here

retrojunk.com

I think Hanna-Barbera did the Happy Days cartoon. DIC, which was the worst of the studios in the 80s, did Hulk Hogan's Rock & Roll Wrestling.

In my view, that era of animation was pretty piss poor, excluding the stuff from Marvel Comics' animation dept/Sunbow Productions in Van Nuys, CA. Don't get started with Scheimer's Filmation. Just don't.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

It was created before my time but they used to show it in syndication on our old independent station when I was a kid: Milton the Monster.

A horrible show, but a great opening and probably a precursor to my enjoyment of watching bad entertainment.
                On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
                  It was created before my time but they used to show it in syndication on our old independent station when I was a kid: Milton the Monster.

A horrible show, but a great opening and probably a precursor to my enjoyment of watching bad entertainment.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJAm...ue&safe=active

Comment

Then there was Walter Lantz, creator of Oswald Rabbit, Andy Panda, and Woody Woodpecker, amongst others.

Lantz released most of his cartoons through the auspices of Universal and United Artists. His career paralleled that of Disney, except he outlived the other Walter, almost making it to one hundred years old.

"Lantz" was one of those Ellis Island names. He was really a "Lanza." His parents came from Italy....

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                      Then there was Walter Lantz, creator of Oswald Rabbit....
                      Disney created Oswald and it was taken away from him. That's how he ended up creating Mickey.

Comment

Yup. But Oswald was hardly "taken away" from Disney. He simply found a more productive venue in the Mickey Mouse cartoons, which were developed after Disney left the studios who had contracted Oswald Rabbit. In fact, Oswald went to Lantz with Disney's apparent blessings. There were no discernible hard feelings in the tradeoff.

Disney's version of Oswald looks like Mickey Mouse with long ears instead of round ones. Lantz's vision of Oswald, as I recall, was a fawn-brown bunny rabbit with little of the exultantly subversive qualities of the earlier Oswald, or Mickey himself....

Interesting to note, Oswald as a property in 2006 reverted, amicably, to Disney Studios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_the_Lucky_Rabbit
                        Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                          There were no discernible hard feelings in the tradeoff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_the_Lucky_Rabbit
                          This is from Walt Disney, The Triumph of the American Imagination.

p. 106-113 "Then, early in 1928, just as everything seemed ot be going so well, came one of the most devastating episodes in Walt Disney's life, an episode that would haunt him throughout his career..." And then they tell the story about losing Oswald. "Iwerks called it one of the absolute low points of Walt's life."

Comment

Eh. Mebbe so. I'm hardly an expert in this field, though I used to be quite the comic/cartoon fancier.

On the linked amazon.com book page, there's nary a word about Oswald Rabbit. Guess you have to get the book to see.

My own take on it is that Disney simply rounded Oswald's ears off to create Mortimer, I mean Mickey, Mouse. Maybe gave him a little sharper mouse profile. But if you say Neal Gabler says the loss of Oswald Rabbit haunted Disney for the rest of his life, I'll take your word for it.

Lantz DID create Woody Woodpecker. Didn't he? Maybe I'll have to read Gabler's book....

Comment

Working...
                            X