Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Shows 2013

It's been a great year for TV. I'd even say this is the first year I've been more excited about what's been on TV than what's been in theaters.

What have been your favorite series?

Here are some of mine:

Breaking Bad s5
    A powerful ending to a great series. The only show all year that I'd see coworkers run out of the room covering their ears and shouting, "Spoilers!" the morning after an episode aired. Great characters, tremendous suspense, and riveting drama. An all-time great.

The Returned s1
    Wow. I was intrigued by this French series, and now I'm completely enthralled by it. It's not only atmospheric and ominous, but fantastically suspenseful and despite (possibly because of) it's subdued tone there's very real horror. This is a worthy successor to the Twin Peaks mantle. Favorite discovery of the year.

Game of Thrones s3
    Epic. GoT just goes for broke with its huge arcs, sinister plots, dastardly deeds, and world-changing battles. Love every minute of it.

Rectify s1
    A show that is stunning in its quietude. It captures the magic in the mundane as we see the world through the eyes of a man who spent 19 years in a jail cell. It also captures small town America better than any show I've seen before.

Girls s2
    What's funny is I really don't like any of these characters. They all annoy me. A lot. Yet, I love this show. It's fun, it's funny, it taps into some truths about youthful ambition and disenchantment.

Justified s4
    This series hasn't quite hit the highs of season 2 (Margo Martindale - I love you), but it's still great, pulpy fun with acerbic humor and an engaging cast of characters.

The Americans s1
    Entertaining potboiler with great characters to boot. There's maybe a few too many oscillations in the central characters relationship (seems like every episode one falls back in love with the other and then the other goes cold), but overall it had some of the best action on TV.

Mad Men s6
    Still one of the most sophisticated dramas on TV. This season felt like it spun its wheels a bit, especially with Don, but it's always an entertaining watch.

30 Rock s7
    One of my favorite sitcoms said goodbye and went out on top after a couple so-so seasons.

Sleep Hollow s1
    Okay, never would I have thought this would make a best-of list when they announced the series. It actually sounded like the dumbest idea I'd ever heard. BUT, this is probably the most fun TV watching this year. The show takes its premise seriously, but goes for broke with supernatural mayhem and mystery. Tom Misone and Nicole Beharie are an amazing pair.

Masters of Sex s1
    This started strong and has really great characters, relationships, and a fascinating subject, but each episode seems more glum than the last. The first few episodes had a really great sense of humor to go along with the frayed relationships and pent up frustrations. Hopefully some of that sneaks back into the second half of the season.

Arrested Development s4
    Funny thing. I've only seen a smattering of episodes from the first three seasons of AD. That didn't stop me from enjoying this Netflix season. Episodes varied pretty wildly, but when the show was on, it was one of the funniest things on TV (ruffie circle).

Re: Favorite Shows 2013

You have 30 Rock, Justified, The Americans and Sleepy Hollow which are on my list.

The rest:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Like Sleepy Hollow, it's an unexpected surprise. Andy Samberg & Andre Braugher are a great Odd Couple of Cops, leading a fun cast.

The Following: A "24" meets "Seven" (ha!) premise that 's a shock to the system.

Hannibal: If The Following is a shock, this show's a slow burn that's equally scary.

Arrow: It's more of a crime drama than a superhero drama, let alone a young adult drama, and that, plus, Oliver's island flashbacks, give it an edge.

Orphan Black: Cloning is here already, people. Tatiana Maslany is an actor that shouldn't be ignored (I'm looking at you, NATAS).

The Bridge: Probably the most saddest cop drama I've ever seen.

Elementary: Smart in its narrative, having the world's greatest detective in NYC, let alone be an ex-addict and a caustic misanthrope, is quite cool. CBS was ballsy to greenlight it (I was a background extra in the first season).

Burn Notice: The farewell season broke the cool rules of the last six and had fun with it.

Southland: I wish it had a better farewell, but I'm glad TNT let it live.

Cult: A great idea that was WAY too smart for the network's targeted audience.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Loving Justified, Game of Thrones, Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Loved 30 Rock, Arrested Development, and Orange is the New Black.

I feel Mad Men is light on plot often but I still can't stop watching it.

For shows not mentioned, I am enjoying The Goldbergs a LOT.

I'm enjoying Almost Human but I feel like it hasn't quite hit its stride yet.
      writertypepeople.tumblr.com
      twitter.com/susanlbridges
      pendantaudio.com

Comment

Boardwalk Empire was the absolute standout for me.
        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

This is how RICH the current field of TV series is, that only three of my own favorite shows have so far been mentioned (HANNIBAL, THE BRIDGE, & THE AMERICANS).

I also record and miss not an episode of: HELL ON WHEELS, WALKING DEAD, ELEMENTARY, PERSON OF INTEREST, FALLING SKIES, MOB CITY, LOW WINTER SUN, and one or two I've probably omitted due to lack of brain space.

And that's not even counting the ones which, for one reason or another, I've been unable to get into, but which are superior shows in their own right, like BREAKING BAD, GAME OF THRONES, etc.

It is a second -- or is it third? -- GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION. Now if the two-hour feature flick form could just get its act in gear, we might have an entertainment renaissance on the horizon....

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
            This is how RICH the current field of TV series is, that only three of my own favorite shows have so far been mentioned (HANNIBAL, THE BRIDGE, & THE AMERICANS).

I also record and miss not an episode of: HELL ON WHEELS, WALKING DEAD, ELEMENTARY, PERSON OF INTEREST, FALLING SKIES, MOB CITY, LOW WINTER SUN, and one or two I've probably omitted due to lack of brain space.

And that's not even counting the ones which, for one reason or another, I've been unable to get into, but which are superior shows in their own right, like BREAKING BAD, GAME OF THRONES, etc.

It is a second -- or is it third? -- GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION. Now if the two-hour feature flick form could just get its act in gear, we might have an entertainment renaissance on the horizon....
            Third. First was in the 50s, second was in the 70s.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

HOUSE OF CARDS.
              "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

I was a pretty big fan of Banshee. That and the Following. Plus all the normal staples, GoT, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc.
                @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The Middle seems to always be overlooked by everyone, but they do great stuff.

Parks and Recreation is still must watch.

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Returned.

Those and The Simpsons (due mostly to loyalty) are the only shows I watch....although American Horror Story is a show I used to watch and just haven't gotten around to yet this season.
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Forgot about Parks and Recreation. One of my favorites!

And damn, I forgot I was going to watch House of Cards.

Honestly, trying to keep up with all the TV and movies I should be watching is SO HARD these days.
                    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                    twitter.com/susanlbridges
                    pendantaudio.com

Comment

And I didn't mention HOMELAND -- probably because I see it through Netflix instead of Showtime.

Like I said, not enough brainpower on the part of this dim bulb....

Comment

Orphan Black, Banshee, Sons of Anarchy, Modern family, Community, Brickleberry, Shameless, House of Lies and that quirky little show, breaking bad
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

My all around favorite new show is probably Orange Is The New Black.

I'm ready for Game of Thrones to come back and am sad to see Breaking Bad and Dexter go this year but hopefully I find something to take their place.

Also loving Scandal and Masters of Sex.
                          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Low Winter Sun (cancelled... alas), Orange is the New Black, American Horror Story: Coven, Justified, Supernatural, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Ghost Adventures and The Dead Files.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                              Tatiana Maslany is an actor that shouldn't be ignored.
                              Agree 9000%
                              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Working...
                              X