PGL: Studio Thinks Bad Script = Commercial?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a review of the rough cut, of course there's spoilers so click at your own risk.

It seems Gulager saved the day. Reviewer says there's no story and no characters to invest in but the direction still makes it entertaining:

www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19248

Comment

It really is 180 degrees backwards. The whole poit is to give talented people a shot. NOT A MEANS FOR DIMENSION TO MAKE MONEY.

As far as the end result of the film, making money should not be the goal, but rather critical acclaim.

I don't know the whole deal, but I thought that the whole reason for making this thing into a reality show was the way to cover the films budget. You give a guy $1 million to make a film, then you sell the rights of the reality show for $1 million to cover cost.

Ok. Maybe too simplistic, but something along those lines? Yes? No? Anyone?

Comment

I think it IS backwards relative to what Damon and Affleck had originally intended.
        The whole point is to give talented people a shot. NOT A MEANS FOR DIMENSION TO MAKE MONEY.
        Unless you're talking about the search for a different talent: for commercial success (making money) in film.
        You give a guy $1 million to make a film, then you sell the rights of the reality show for $1 million to cover cost.
        Sounds about right. But the parties accruing revenue from the TV show aren't necessarily the same people who are losing their asses on the film. So, unless Party A gives Party B $1 million out of the goodness of their heart (or out of some contractual arrangement), then the costs are not going to get "covered".

I think the setup's gotten pretty convoluted. Too many people involved and too little money coming in. Result: throw more people at it to get better product and more money, but all they get is higher costs and yet another compromised commercial product.

All I can say is, it's damn fun to watch, and I'm eminently glad they're doing it.

Comment

The way I see it (and this is 100% speculation) Dimension/Miramax took such a bath on the first two films, they are trying to make up for losses with this one.

The way Matt Damon is talking, I don't suspect he will be involved with a PGL4, if there even was one. The process, however knoble and altruistic, doesn't work. Not that their idea was bad, but there will never be a way to work a contest based on an honor system because people, by their nature, are not honest.

The breakup of Miramax means they would need a new partner anyway.

PGL1 and 2 never got any type of big release, so, if they can get this thing into 1500 screens, they should make at least the 5 or 10 million they wanted. Who knows, it might be so bad, it's good.

I do like the reverse psycology aspect of the tv show so far. Tell people the movie sucks up front, and the contrarians will go see it just to say how great it is.

"Forget about the boys with the typewriters, what's on the poster?" -Affleck

Comment

I found a review of the rough cut, of course there's spoilers so click at your own risk.

It seems Gulager saved the day.
            You just spoiled it for the rest of it yourself with that stupid comment! Nice going!

Comment

I said it SEEMS ... from that review, it SEEMS he did.

How does that spoil the entire series and film for you?

Jeeze.

Comment

PGL was started, as Damon said, to give other newcomers a chance in the business. They were looking for another script like the one they wrote - heart, humor, moral to the story AND lastly, commerciality. That wasn't as important to them as giving someone a break, though. But after the second film also flopped, they realized (and they said this) no studio was going to spring any money on a failure, so they had to give up on the 'art' idea (which is probably closer to Damon's heart than Affleck's), and put a spin on it. Horror. Wes Craven. Maybe done last minute.

Was Gulagher a shoo-in? Rumor has it. Just like Beeny on the second.

Let's see what happens is all I can say. That, and I'm glad I never entered any of the contests. Take it for what it is - a scripted "reality" show.

Comment

I don't think they were trying to make "art" films with any of the PGLs. They were trying to make "indie" films. There is a difference. Indie is a monetary term, essentially. They were trying to find a script they can produce within a small budget. Obviously, they want the best one they can find. So focusing on horror this time around isn't a sell out. In fact, I think it's smart to focus the contest on a certain genre. I think it runs smoother when all involved have some common goal.

As for Damon not returning for PGL4? I don't see why he wouldn't. Sure he's not happy with the studio, but this can't be the first time he's felt that way. And even though he didn't like the script, he liked Gulager. Evens out.

Ele...

Comment

bad movies....

Damon's not happy in the first episode few episodes but he comes around in the end. Wait and see. :evil

Comment

Re: bad movies....

Damon's displeasure = drama. It behooves the show to milk it for all it's worth.

Comment

PGL 3: the first show...

From the way Bravo/PGL edited it, it looks like Damon is trying to sabotage the project by backing Gulagher(or whatever his name is). From watching the show, I'd of pushed for Wildcard and for Ryan to direct.
                        Feast looks like a rip-off of From Dusk Till Dawn. I also take issue with the PGL contests that use working professionals in the entertainment business. They don't need or deserve a "big break". The PGL contest(s) should go back to the basic elements of picking a low budget, simple film with a great script. If I wrote out my SP; Open Season and it got to the top 3, I know they'd pick it. I've put it off for a long time and it irks me to watch PGL and think about all the talented people who should be on that series.

PS: I'd also say it'd be nice if PGL and/or the networks/studios would allow a short film/screenplay contest. That would be better than a full scale feature film.

8)

Comment

Re: PGL 3: the first show...

I'm gonna pull a dclary here...

It's "I'd have" not "I'd of."

Comment

well maybe the outcome of Feast will change the flawed format and rules for the next PGL - one could only hope. i do like the specific genre idea thou - i'll bet they go for a comedy next......and if you can write something like Stuck on You (which may not have made a lot of money)..... i mean, that flick was hilarious and cheaply made.

i don't think Gulagar choice was to sabotage. he's a Babe Ruth swinger: swing big - miss and strike out or swing big - and hit a home run.

Ryan at best could hit a double or walk

Comment

The voting system is flawed because people like you think that "Stuck on You" was hilarious. :eek

Comment

The voting system is flawed because people like you think that "Stuck on You" was hilarious.
                                :rollin

Nike, you must be an easy person to please.

Comment

Working...
                                X