PGL: Studio Thinks Bad Script = Commercial?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: PGL 3: the first show...

...if they didn't wait until the eleventh hour....
    A month is the eleventh hour?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The contest might have had better scripts if they didn't wait until the eleventh hour to announce that horror is what they were looking for.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Feast/Wildcard/PGL 3

Your logic is flawed. "American Beauty" was turned down by every studio everywhere. "Feast" is no AB but who knows where the script went before the contest? Maybe it was written and went straight to the contest. We could twist your logic around and say that about any contest. If the Nicholl winners are so good, why weren't they bought by a studio first? Or why aren't all the winners bought by studios after they win? Or if the two PGL runner-up scripts were so much better than "Feast", according to Matt Damon, why weren't they bought on spec long before the contest? Who the @#%$ is to say what a great film will be. The contest is about giving wannabes a chance to make a movie and that's exactly what happens. If the contest were about making great films, they would've scuttled the whole ship after the release of "Stolen Summer."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Feast/Wildcard/PGL 3

If Feast is such a PGL fan favorite or is such a great script(I didn't vote or read it), then it would have been made by a prodco or major film studio. Screenwriters/screenplays can find many great sources online for deals; www.hollywoodlitsales.com , www.screenwritersmarket.com, www.hcdonline.com www.moviebytes.com www.inktip.com etc. PGL is a great concept and I support the basic idea of it, but I agree with Damon that the series should be about finding real talent that can make great films.

8)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Stuck On You was definitely a stinker IMO. But comedy is right on. Low budget laffers are the type of indie films that made me wanna be a filmmaker. Easy and cheap to make and it's a genre that allows high-concepts without necessarily soaring the budget. It would be a good move.

Ele...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The voting system is flawed because people like you think that "Stuck on You" was hilarious.
    :rollin

Nike, you must be an easy person to please.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The voting system is flawed because people like you think that "Stuck on You" was hilarious. :eek

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

well maybe the outcome of Feast will change the flawed format and rules for the next PGL - one could only hope. i do like the specific genre idea thou - i'll bet they go for a comedy next......and if you can write something like Stuck on You (which may not have made a lot of money)..... i mean, that flick was hilarious and cheaply made.

i don't think Gulagar choice was to sabotage. he's a Babe Ruth swinger: swing big - miss and strike out or swing big - and hit a home run.

Ryan at best could hit a double or walk

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm gonna pull a dclary here...

It's "I'd have" not "I'd of."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    PGL 3: the first show...

From the way Bravo/PGL edited it, it looks like Damon is trying to sabotage the project by backing Gulagher(or whatever his name is). From watching the show, I'd of pushed for Wildcard and for Ryan to direct.
    Feast looks like a rip-off of From Dusk Till Dawn. I also take issue with the PGL contests that use working professionals in the entertainment business. They don't need or deserve a "big break". The PGL contest(s) should go back to the basic elements of picking a low budget, simple film with a great script. If I wrote out my SP; Open Season and it got to the top 3, I know they'd pick it. I've put it off for a long time and it irks me to watch PGL and think about all the talented people who should be on that series.

PS: I'd also say it'd be nice if PGL and/or the networks/studios would allow a short film/screenplay contest. That would be better than a full scale feature film.

8)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: bad movies....

Damon's displeasure = drama. It behooves the show to milk it for all it's worth.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    bad movies....

Damon's not happy in the first episode few episodes but he comes around in the end. Wait and see. :evil

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't think they were trying to make "art" films with any of the PGLs. They were trying to make "indie" films. There is a difference. Indie is a monetary term, essentially. They were trying to find a script they can produce within a small budget. Obviously, they want the best one they can find. So focusing on horror this time around isn't a sell out. In fact, I think it's smart to focus the contest on a certain genre. I think it runs smoother when all involved have some common goal.

As for Damon not returning for PGL4? I don't see why he wouldn't. Sure he's not happy with the studio, but this can't be the first time he's felt that way. And even though he didn't like the script, he liked Gulager. Evens out.

Ele...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    PGL was started, as Damon said, to give other newcomers a chance in the business. They were looking for another script like the one they wrote - heart, humor, moral to the story AND lastly, commerciality. That wasn't as important to them as giving someone a break, though. But after the second film also flopped, they realized (and they said this) no studio was going to spring any money on a failure, so they had to give up on the 'art' idea (which is probably closer to Damon's heart than Affleck's), and put a spin on it. Horror. Wes Craven. Maybe done last minute.

Was Gulagher a shoo-in? Rumor has it. Just like Beeny on the second.

Let's see what happens is all I can say. That, and I'm glad I never entered any of the contests. Take it for what it is - a scripted "reality" show.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I said it SEEMS ... from that review, it SEEMS he did.

How does that spoil the entire series and film for you?

Jeeze.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X