PGL: Studio Thinks Bad Script = Commercial?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PGL 3: the first show...

Stuck On You was definitely a stinker IMO. But comedy is right on. Low budget laffers are the type of indie films that made me wanna be a filmmaker. Easy and cheap to make and it's a genre that allows high-concepts without necessarily soaring the budget. It would be a good move.

Ele...

Comment

Feast/Wildcard/PGL 3

If Feast is such a PGL fan favorite or is such a great script(I didn't vote or read it), then it would have been made by a prodco or major film studio. Screenwriters/screenplays can find many great sources online for deals; www.hollywoodlitsales.com , www.screenwritersmarket.com, www.hcdonline.com www.moviebytes.com www.inktip.com etc. PGL is a great concept and I support the basic idea of it, but I agree with Damon that the series should be about finding real talent that can make great films.

8)

Comment

Re: Feast/Wildcard/PGL 3

Your logic is flawed. "American Beauty" was turned down by every studio everywhere. "Feast" is no AB but who knows where the script went before the contest? Maybe it was written and went straight to the contest. We could twist your logic around and say that about any contest. If the Nicholl winners are so good, why weren't they bought by a studio first? Or why aren't all the winners bought by studios after they win? Or if the two PGL runner-up scripts were so much better than "Feast", according to Matt Damon, why weren't they bought on spec long before the contest? Who the @#%$ is to say what a great film will be. The contest is about giving wannabes a chance to make a movie and that's exactly what happens. If the contest were about making great films, they would've scuttled the whole ship after the release of "Stolen Summer."

Comment

The contest might have had better scripts if they didn't wait until the eleventh hour to announce that horror is what they were looking for.

Comment

...if they didn't wait until the eleventh hour....
            A month is the eleventh hour?

Comment

Why should they give us months of notice of what kind of script they're looking for? It's people who write scripts specifically for the parameters of a contest that create all of the crap that's out there.

It goes like this: they announce what they're looking for. If you happen to have it, you're a lucky SOB and you submit. That's life.

Ele...

Comment

I recall them saying in the very beginning that they were looking for genre pics...especially horror.

Comment

This contest was specifically horror this year.

Comment

I'm not saying it's impossible RK, but there's a big difference between a first draft written in a month and a polished script.

Comment

actually, i think picking the genre on the 11th hour makes more sense than giving someone a months notice. it would eliminate the poor quality quickie scripts and only scripts that have been written and hopefully rewritten and polished will have a chance.

Gilly - i personally did NOT influence the voting system. no need to point fingers but, if you're ever in a room where Damon makes a decision about producing your script you might want to be less critical about projects that he's done in the past.

Comment

everyone knew from the beginning it was genre/horror/thriller this year (go search the archive).

i think it's all milked for reality TV. the drama! the conflict!

I mean, if they (Damon and Affleck) really want to "discover" new talent -- then run a legit contest. The voting has always been way questionable and a big issue. It's not hard to find PLENTY of people to read scripts and evalaute for nomial or no fee to serve as judges and these are often industry people and/or people with experience.

PGL has always been a bit of an enigma. Now it's laughable that they're taking a total arthouse/indie contest and trying to turn it into a way for a studio to make money. What the??
                        It's not hard for the reality TV show people to make a deal with the making the film people. I don't know, the enigma continues.
                        imo, it's jumped the shark.

Comment

You wanna know why it went from indie to mainstream films? Because it went from HBO to Bravo. Gotta pay the bills now. And they'll get more viewers interested in watching a normal, everyday movie being made than some art film they can't understand.

Ele...

Comment

huh? I'd hardly call BOSH an "art film you can't understand" it's not Felini for c-sakes. It was like bad Hallmark channel or something, talk about OTN. (even though I still maintain the script wasn't as horrendous as the film... but whatever).

Do you know that Bravo is paying less? Maybe they need to save it. It's always made interesting TV but it's always seemed to have a lack of focus, drive, passion... je ne sais quois.

"That's how faceless Joe lost his legs!" - Homer Simpson

Comment

Perhaps "understand" is the wrong word. "Keep interest" could work. But my point is, the show -- not just the movie -- needs to appeal to a wider audience now that viewers are just as important as ticket sales.

Ele...

Comment

My main point is this:

A good script will get made(even in Hollywood). Contests, online sources, networking, etc are the tools producers, writers, directors, etc use to get the real "greenlight".

BTW: I also heard the PGL finalist project; Prisoner is now in production.

:smokin

Comment

Working...
                                X