The 80's and their Super (insert Vehicle name here) shows...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the one...the only...

A TEAM!

Comment

Re: The 80's and their Super (insert Vehicle name here) show

"The Transformers"...nuff said...except for the flying motorcycles on that other "Galactica"...

Comment

Airwolf was absolutely fantastic. I laughed myself to tears when i saw how bloated and drugged Jan Michael Vincent had become, in his bit part in Buffalo 66.

Comment

A lot of that is probably from the post-car-wreck beer guzzling.

Airwolf rocked, but then totally sucked when they tried to do the new cast thing - killing off Dominic Santini (it wasn't even him in the episode! It was some fat guy with white hair they shot from a distance getting into a helicopter that exploded!) and "disabling" Stringfellow Hawk.

Replacing JMV with Dick Van Dyke's son was some of the worst casting I think I've ever seen.

Comment

Wow, you sacrificied your 700th post on a tribute to the Ro-Boz?

Comment

I'll keep better tabs when I'm closer to 800.

Actually I have no regrets about the tribute- only its brevity. How can you not love a P.I. show with two brawny guys, a nerd, a giant pink helicopter and an orange duck-like anti crime robot? The Riptide team could solve circles around those kids from Scooby Doo.

Best-

Ext.

-------------------
              www.bartgold.com

Comment

Yeh, season 4 of Airwolf being shot in Canada is like Highlander 2....bad hagis...

Comment

What, nobody's mentioned RIPTIDE so far? Sacre-bleu!!

Comment

My favorite scene ever in Riptide was when the Boz had to infiltrate the phone company to get some information off their computer.

How did he do it?

He just showed up. He looked exactly like all their other computer operators.

It was awesome.

Comment

I believe it was in an episode of Knightrider that they had some shredded documents that they had to read and someone said "The computer can put them back together!" and pointed to a scanner type thing next to a mainframe.
                      Now this was in the days when computers could do word processing and Space Invaders but I thought "Well, that is possible. It could scan each framgemt and try every possible combination of putting them back together..." Never mind that in those days the process would have taken several years.

But then someone took a big handfull of the shredded paper and just STUFFED the lot into the scanner! In one go!

Seven seconds later, while Michael and the team were reading the recovered documents I was still on the floor, tears running down my face with laughter.

Knightrider was great in the early days. Every twenty minutes KITT would smash through a wall, a truck, a house whatever. By the later episodes cash was obvioulsy running short and he'd have to make do with running over a cardboard box or a small chair.

So Jumped the shark when they let some street kids pimp it up with spoilers and stuff.

And Airwolf? From an article in a flying magazine I found that the chopper with the guns and rockets they used was so aerodynamicaly unstable that it could be flown for about four minutes tops. Then the pilot had to sit in a quiet room for a couple of hours with a bottle of tequelia until his nerves recovered. The Bell 222 wasn't the most reliable aircraft in the first case, it's engines favorite party trick being exploding and taking out the other engine at the same time, somewhat defeating the safety aspect of having two engines. The London police had three ( and I have actually flown in one on a patrol) and they were always parking them somewhere or other, upside down in a ditch in one case.

The later models, called the 230 and 430, have different engines, and four blades, and are much safer. BTW, the Bell JetRanger ( the 'Other' helicopter in Airwolf ) is the safest single engined aircraft in the world. I'd chose having an engine failure in a helicopter over a fixed wing aircraft anyday.

Comment

I remember as a kid being so into KnightRider that when they filmed scenes of an episode on the street I lived I actually faked being sick to stay home from school to watch.

Then in the morning after my mom bought my sick act, I ran over to where they were shooting and saw that they had 5 KITT cars all lined up. I couldn't believe it, FIVE!

Then utter disappointment as only 1 of them actually looked like the KITT car inside, the other 4 being the crappy ones they used to film exteriors.

My disappointment kept growing when I saw them shoot a scene where KITT Turbo-Boosted over something. Not only was Michael Knight not behind the wheel, but they used a ramp to do the jump.

I never pretended to be sick to stay home to watch them film anything on my block again. Even when The Misfits of Science, A-Team and Dallas showed up.

Comment

Working...
                        X