No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: chris rock

Gilbert Gottfried
    Point taken, Pen. But no F'in way with Gilbert. He's not only unfunny, but supremely annoying.

Comment

will smith would be a good host

Comment

That's actually ingenious, Pen. You're right: he would be great. Here we are talking in the other thread about his acting abilities and there lies the host we've been looking for. Good call.

Comment

Rock can be funny at times. I just hope he doesn't dumb-down his routine for the larger audience. I hope that he will insult some of those in attendance. That is what I look forward to.
          I appreciate the show for trying a new host for a different approach. While Crystal was great at hosting, his schtick became tiresome. Goldberg was awful, Steve Martin is a good choice, Letterman was great but will never be back. Rock could be a decent change of pace. Next year they should try someone else, maybe Bill Maher? (Maher can be a total self-indulgent ass, but he might be a decent host). Mike Myers would be a good choice too.

Comment

there was this great thing in Newsweek a few weeks ago where they interviewed some of the acting nominees together and jaime foxx talked about how, when he first started doing stand-up, he was hungry and didn't even care about the pay that much, he just wanted to be funny on stage. and then after he was successful he couldn't make the same jokes anymore and literally wasn't hungry anymore. he called it "success face".

last year, billy crystal had success face. he wasn't funny and all the bits were way old and unoriginal. putting himself in the movies? old. the medley of parody songs about the best pictures? very old. billy crystal? yeah, he's old too.

chris rock is VERY funny and he will be great tomorrow night.

Comment

For him to succeed with the "Academy", he will have to tone it way down and effectively be someone other than himself. Which, of course, defeats the whole purpose of having him.
              Good point. But what also defeats the purpose is Rock stating that he doesn't care for the show and that only gays watch the Oscars. Might as well just give him the paycheck so he could cash it.

I like the idea of Mike Myers. Jerry Seinfeld?

Comment

He's getting paid scale.

Comment

It's understandable that not everyone finds Chris Rock funny. He's got a certain sense of humor, like any other comic, that only certain people will appreciate.

I myself find him funny most of the time.

But I think his appeal and reputation is also how observant and courageous he is to point out things that others don't. He addresses many problems that he perceives with blacks that others would deny or be ashamed to speak of - and makes it hilarious.

He performs like he's invincible. Like he really doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Just like the gay comment about the Oscars, which even GLADD recognized as being harmless.

He said in an interview, "Meanwhile, the Nobel Peace Prize, there's no one there. Nobody cares what the scientists are wearing. What are you wearing Professor Allen? 'Pants!'"

The Oscars is perhaps the most superficial, self-important, self-indulgent event in America. And here's a host who realizes this.

Should be interesting.

Comment

But what also defeats the purpose is Rock stating that he doesn't care for the show and that only gays watch the Oscars.
                    That's not what he said, and what he actually said was clearly a joke.

But of course the press took it out of context and sensationalized it, because it makes for good ink. And of course people bought into that, because people love a good scandal, even if it's fictional. This is how molehills are made into mountains. It's been this way since the dawn of movable type.

Comment

Rock can be funny, but his films have never been.

Comment

Rock's voice comes at you like a high pitched jet engine with a family of geese caught in the turbine, but he actually didn't do too bad on sunday. he was even somewhat likeable

Comment

Rock was so-so. What I found strange was that he rarely poked fun at the audience which he did at the MTV Awards couple of years ago.

I came on Oprah saying he'd do it again if they asked him and given his film career, he just might.

Comment

He was competent, but not very funny. The oscars need somebody who's better than simply competent. How F'in difficult can it be? I like Pen's idea of Will Smith. The guy exudes charisma.

Comment

I thought Rock was hilarious in his monologue, but a little awkward the rest of the time. Will Smith might be more charismatic and more middle-of-the-road, but he wouldn't be as funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X