Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unscripted

This show was surprisingly good. I really wasn't looking forward to another show about showbiz, but it was damn funny and very well designed. Thumbs up for seeing the characters on real shows such as ER and George Lopez. Really makes the handheld voyeur camerawork pop. And I'm glad they didn't let too much K-Street rub off on this.

I'm not an actor, but a lot of the experiences aren't too far from what us writers go through...just the whole life as a struggling artist in L.A. I will say it does make me glad I'm not an actor. It actually makes me dislike them a little more, even though the characters are quite likeable.

I'm looking forward to more. Although, my heart still belongs to Entourage.

Ele...

I watched it last night. I wasn't allergic to the show, but I could do without the light filters. Red scenes, Yellow scenes, Blue scenes...good grief.

I didn't buy HiDef for that.

Comment

Better than I expected. Truly some a-holes in Hollywood and this shows it perfectly.
      I think most of it is staged or fake. Except when these actors actually make appearances on actual shows. Everything else is pretty much set up. The scene when Deezer D slams a day player for not knowing who he is, telling him he has to study up on the show before coming to the set. If I remember correctly, he didn't even have a line. Come on, totally bogus. I didn't buy that scene as real.
      Otherwise a pretty entertaining show. Nice cameo from actor and producer of the show, Matt Adler. I always wondered what he did after this movie.

Comment

Unscripted

Didn't Clooney and Soderbergh learn their lesson with K Street? I applaud them for putting their own money behind their projects, but why do they insist on ramming this "fake reality" crap down our throats? The mixture of real people with fake scripted events and plots didn't work before and it doesn't work now. This show is neither interesting nor particularly relevant. It's just another narcissistic look at the world of acting by people who think it is the most important thing in the universe.

Oh yeah...I almost forgot..what were they thinking casting one of Clooney's old girlfriends in their fake reality show? How narcisstic is that? What's even more shocking is that she plays herself as a complete and total whore. She even sleeps with her 70 year old acting coach for f#ck's sake. I guess some people will do anything to be famous, even if it means playing themselves as complete and total losers. There are many projects that Clooney and Soderbergh could be championing with their considerable clout and money. Perhaps they should look into one of those next time and leave the cheesy reality shows to Fox....

Comment

Because, of course, any actress who sleeps with her older acting coach is a "complete and total whore." :rolleyes

Comment

I don't think I ever read one of your posts without frustration, godman.

You're totally entitled to your opinion. I just happen to disagree completely, which is nothing new. I think that Soderbergh and Clooney did learn their lesson from K Street. I think Unscripted takes the concept of mixing reality and fiction and does it right. K Street was a failure. It was cold and heartless. Unscripted brings likeable characters that you can root for. It's also pretty damn funny.

I personally don't find Krista to be whore-ish. I think she's pretty interesting. We don't often get a look at how difficult it is for a beautiful actress to get by her past. I think she's a woman who sleeps with her acting coach and seriously regrets it. Perhaps realizes that she can't escape her past because she keeps living it.

I think the filmmakers deserve more credit for at least trying something new. I mean, this could've been Entourage 2 (which would've been okay with me, too). But it's something different. My hat is off for that.

Ele...

Comment

Unscripted

If Elephant likes this show, then I know I'm on the right track. I think the problem is that this show is too similar to K Street. If they had wanted to make an unscripted documentary about struggling actors, that would be different. It might even be interesting. But by making a scripted show around two struggling actors and Clooney's old girlfriend, it just rings hollow.

As for Allen, you don't find it weird that she would allow them to immediately throw her "character" into bed with her acting coach? That's a mighty powerful indication of how she acts in real life, and also a pretty damming one. It also completely confirms the terrible things that everyone says about her throughout the show. Are we supposed to be interested in the struggles of a hot chick who is trying to go legit but really isn't? After all, we all know how hard it is to be a hot chick in Hollywood. What makes her struggle even less interesting is that she seems to be pretty well off compared to her "friends." They are all struggling to make the rent while she is struggling over whether or not to accept a quarter of a million dollars from Playboy. Not exactly the most compelling character arc...

Comment

As for Allen, you don't find it weird that she would allow them to immediately throw her "character" into bed with her acting coach? That's a mighty powerful indication of how she acts in real life,
                Holy sh|t. In what way is that a mighty powerful indication of how she acts in real life, godman?

She's an actress playing a part.

Here's a couple of clues to help you with that concept:

Her acting coach is not really her acting coach. His name is not really Goddard Fulton. That's Frank Langella. He's an actor.

You may also be shocked to learn that Anthony Hopkins is not a cannibalistic serial killer.

Comment

The whole point of Allen's character is that she's beautiful and has made a lot of money doing nothing but swimsuit work and soft-core flicks. She's been in the biz, made money, but still can't get a "break" just like all of the new actors in her class.

And godman, how can you criticize this show for not being as interesting as an "unscripted" film about struggling actors and then assume all of Allen's actions mirror her real life? Kind of a contradiction, no?

Ele...

Comment

I'm really liking this show. And Krista Allen is smokin' hot. I don't blame Clooney for casting his ex. I enjoy the transition from reality (cameos from these actors on actual shows) to the fake, set up parts of the show. It's entertaining.
                    I laughed when Mike O'Malley left the bar during Jennifer's band performance about getting phucked up the ass.

Comment

Unscripted

She's an actress playing a part.
                      Ummmm...I think you missed the point. She's an actress playing herself. She has the same name and lives out many of the same scenarios she's lived out in real life. She also drags along her real life son. I just found it funny that they also found time to throw her in bed with her acting coach. They essentially undermined her entire "character" in that one throwaway scene. She's trying to be accepted as legit, but she can't even get approval from her acting coach without sleeping with him. Why should anyone care about this character and her "struggle" when she obviously doesn't care herself.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time on this show. It's a narcissistic waste of time. If you want to check out an interesting new show, you'd be far better served watching the new battlestar galactica. At least that's a new take on an old genre. This "fake reality" crap has been done to death....

Comment

a proposal

There should be a law where if you don't live in Los Angeles, you shouldn't be able to give your opinions on shows like UNSCRIPTED and ENTOURAGE.

I know that sounds elitist, but hey, I'm just saying -- it'll stop people like godman from offending us with his ignorance.

Comment

Re: a proposal

The show is pretty good, not great.

I agree that the more you have lived that type of life, the better the show is.

I don't recall seeing Krista sleep with her teacher. I recall her leaving the party and him being frustrated that he may have made a mistake. Maybe I missed it.

The show is okay. Eh. It's pretty good. It's better than most of the garbage on T.V.

It's fun.

It's okay.

Not great. It's good. Some of the set-ups fall flat. Some work.

It's pretty good, I guess.

It's okay.

Comment

I just wish godman would make up his mind whether it's "fake reality" or a realistic depiction of the actors' real lives. :lol

Or at least realize that he contradicts himself in every post about this show.

Comment

I live in LA.

Comment

Working...
                              X