Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monk - Season 3

Just watched the season premiere and was pleasantly surprised. After hearing Bitty Schram (Sharona) wouldn't be back, I figured the show was going down the ol' crapper. But I kinda liked Traylor Howard's character (the same attitude as Sharona with half the obnoxiousness), and I especially liked how she was introduced into the show -- it was a cut above (if you saw the opening scene, you know what I mean).

So, I'm going to stick with it. Hopefully, the rest of the episodes are just as good.

While Taylor is a fine actress, the character of Sharona, as performed by Bitty Schram, is just what the show needs. Now she's gone, so the show's audience will start leaving. She made the show partly normal - something to compare against Monk. I'm very disappointed.

Comment

I was pretty pleased. I found the way the Sharona character was done to be fairly cliched and schticky.

But why do Monk's sidekicks all need to be single women with kids?

Comment

Minibrain, I agree. But what I like about the new scenerio is that Howard's character is also a widower, and she can share a connection with Monk Sharona never could. I hope they play this up (in the premiere, the scene in the pet store was very well-done).

Comment

DGRunert -- you make an excellent point. Because they share that, there's someplace for the characters to go. There's a relationship to develop, and they can move each other on to different places. So yes, that's pretty cool.

Comment

Yeah, like you know anything about crime dramas, Mini.

Comment

I loved Sharona and what she added to the show. I was really concerned that replacing her would be impossible, if not even harder. That said, I found myself warming quickly to the new character. I think her daughter will be a better character, than Benji, too.

I had similar when characters were replaced on several of my TV favorites -- M.A.S.H, Cheers and Becker. In all three instances, while the replacements weren't necessarily better, they did manage breathe new life into long running shows.

Time will tell if Sharona's replacement follows the trends set by replacing fixtures, such as Coach and Diane; Trapper, Colonel Blake and Major Burns and Reggie, but I remain hopeful.

Comment

For what it's worth, I had never watched the show until last night. My wife convinced me to give it a try. I liked it a lot. Shalhoub and the mom had great chemistry, in my opinion. I'll follow the show until I get unconvinced, but it was pretty well done. My favorite part was Monk doing the ergonomic recreation of the mountain mummy's demise, at the museum.

Comment

Embalm, if you liked that episode, it's worth tracking down the DVD's for the 1st 2 seasons. This is a pretty great show -- granted, some episodes fall pretty flat, but I'd say 75% are above average.

Comment

Anybody see Friday's new episode? It started out pretty ho-hum, but the last 15 minutes were truly great. Tony Shalhoub never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

Working...
                    X