Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely not boring, but the show's design is risky.

They seem to deliberately start each season at a snail's pace, then steadily build the tension. Once you're hooked, you're hooked. But if you tuned into the first episode this year, I bet you'd think it was boring.

Also, the show is incredibly complicated and they offer no help for newbies. Try explaining the relationships in a current episode to someone who's never seen it. You'll find out why this show isn't growing much.

Comment

Lucky for them, I think they have enough viewership to keep the show on. Just enough. And the critical response doesn't hurt. With so many HBO shows bowing out, I think we'll get another season or two of this show. And Emmy nod couldn't hurt.

Ele...

Comment

I honestly don't think I'd have found the show boring even if I'd only started watching it this season. But I love watching this kind of detailed, realistic police procedural stuff. I'm a big fan of Homicide and the BBC's Prime Suspect minis and movies for the same reason; that sense that you're seeing how real detectives do it, and brains and intuition are more important than pulling a gun.

Comment

Man, oh man, this show is on fire right now.

I can't believe they can cram that much story into an hour of television. "The Wire" makes "Law & Order" look like a cartoon.

The McNulty dinner scene should be in a textbook on subtext. I'm not sure there's ever been a scene that far from "on the nose." Brilliant writing and acting.

I won't spoil it, but make sure you watch the "next episode" teaser. The last shot's a shocker.

Comment

Friggin' great. That dinner scene was remarkable. It really shows how great McNulty's character is. He's such an everyman who can't get a break. He's just so average. He has problems like all of us. When do you ever see that on TV?

I love what they did with Prez. He really is the tragic figure of this show. Season 1 he was a total screw up and then he found himself in the work he was doing for Daniels. And now look. His poor street cop skills come back to haunt him. Just brilliant and sad.

It's just such an intense show. It's gotta be the most real police drama I've ever seen.

Ele...

Comment

This last episode was so great. I nearly fell off my couch when I saw Rawls in the gay bar. And later he calls Colvin a c*cksucker. Classic.

It's really interesting to see how this whole Amsterdam thing (or whatever they call it) has busted loose. It's like Colvin was on a suicide mission trying to pull it off. I loved Lester going undercover to sell cell phones. Great speech by McNulty when he talked about his relationship with that political chick and how he doesn't fit in in the world.

Can't wait to see how the season ends. That shot of Brother in the preview is straight out of a western. And when you think about it, that's really what this show is.

Ele...

Comment

Wow. What a bombshell. This was probably one of my favorite episodes ever. The stuff between Avon and Stringer was great. Moving actually, to see how these two friends went through so much together are are scheming against each other as they reminisce.

And the final scene...just wow. With the B & B billboard out the window. Brilliant episode.

Ele...

Comment

Those bastards. I can't believe they did that. >:

(Yeah, I mean the producers, not Omar and Bow-Tie.)

What a series. I hate that there's just one more episode left of this season. I assume they're going to be leaving some of the subplots unresolved until Season 4, since they've just got an hour to go.

(And there'd better be a Season 4.)

Comment

I'm actually saddened that The Wire has come to an end and still this thread hardly gets attention. Why is nobody watching this show?

What a great final two episodes. Again, they reward their loyal viewers. It's amazing how the season finales tie up everthing in such a clean way, at least when considering how many characters are juggled up till then. My opinion - this isn't the season finale, but sadly the series finale. I think they wanted to clean up everything in case HBO doesn't ask them back. And they really did. In fact, the series actually works like a well made trilogy. All the big players are dead or wrangled up - how interesting was it to see not only Barksdale, but so many of his crew in orange jumpsuits? To see Barksdale look at his sister in court - knowing her interference helped put him there. Then his look at Marlo...he was passing the torch. No more for Barksdale...he's done...by choice.

To see Bubbs' friend (Johnny?) finally die from his habit was a sad relief in a way...but it really showed that this war is reaching the end of the line. On the flipside is Cutty, who intrigued me all season. I kept thinking to myself...how are they going to tie this man into everything at the end of the season? He really became such an independent story. Then it hit me when Carver visited him...it's not about putting him back into the drug story, it's about taking him out. Cutty's whole story was an example of somebody in the trade fixing their life up and earning redemption. It's the first time we've seen it. And it was quite beautiful.

As for McNulty...I just love this character. I remember in season 2...he was so drunk and miserable just driving his car into embankments for laughs. To see him finally reach his goal and realize he has nothing else in his life was very moving. To see him put down the drink and see that lady cop from season 2 was great. Great image of McNulty walking the beat in his blues, big smile on his face. It's like a re-birth for him.

That final scene of Colvin at the wreckage of Hamsterdamn (or was it Hampsterdamn or something else...never sure). Anyway, just great to see this man sacrifice himself to make the community better...to have Bubbs talk to him about the hell that was there was something to behold...great scene and great final image.

Obviously, the drugs aren't completely gone...Marlo is still on the street, Brodie, Prop Joe is somewhere...there's a lot of bad stuff out there. But for the most part, the war has been won. It's something that felt completely hopeless to me in the beginning of the season...to see how this show put it all together and made that happen was remarkable. I hope HBO has the guts to bring this show back...but if not, congrats on telling one fine story.

I know I'm saying a lot, but somebody had to say it.

Ele...

Comment

Maybe I could be a detective...

www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/262101p-224444c.html

Ele...

Comment

Wow, that sucks. After watching the season finale, I assumed they knew they were going to have a fourth season, since they left so many threads hanging. (Even seemed to start up a new one, with Beadie back in the picture.)

I hope they come back. But it won't surprise me a lot if they don't. It'll disappoint me a lot, but it won't surprise me. When you look back and remember that Homicide was canceled because it routinely lost to Nash Bridges, you realize this kind of TV has a certain pearls-before-swine problem.

Comment

Yeah, it definitely seemed like they were trying to bit some osrt of closure to the show in case it's not renewed.

But for the most part, the war has been won.
                          I didn't come away with that belief at all. One of the things the show has always driven home to me was how futile the war on drugs is - for the cops and the dealers. Cutty's storyline was about as optimistic as the show has ever been. McNulty only found peace when he realized that he couldn't depend on his cases for his sense of self-worth. Like Freamon told him - the case always ends and there's always another one close behind. Avon ended up going back to jail, but Marlo is right there to pick things up. Colvin made a difference with Hamsterdam, but it was doomed for failure from the start. (That was one of the few things about The Wire that seemed false to me. I don't think it could have gone on for as long as it did without being discovered) I felt bad for Colvin losing his Major's pension, but what did he expect? For the brass and City Hall to embrace a virtual legalization of drugs? It's admirable that he tried to make a difference with his short time left, but foolish at the same time. And in the end it was for nothing. The situation in the Western District is basically back to the status quo.

Great show, and it's a shame if HBO doesn't renew it for a fourth season.

Comment

Maybe saying the war has been won was a little too extreme. But at least for the cops (our main characters) the war has been won. Mission accomplished. And I think a big piece of the drug trade pie is now gone. When I saw Brodie walking the street and noding to Marlo, it seemed to me that he's now a free agent...no crew, no power...in a way it suggested that all of these remaining dealers need to find new homes and start from scratch. I think that all adds up to the cops having a major victory. It's a huge blow to the bad guys. I think the final image of Hamsterdam in pieces signifies that. It just seemed to me that the final five minutes were shot in a much more positive manner...Baltimore seemed a bit more hopeful and bright, the cops seemed a bit more hopeful and in control of the streets.

Maybe instead of saying the war has been won, I should've said the war is under control. Bush is gonna steal that phrase from me any minute now...

Ele...

Comment

Working...
                            X