Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD vs. Syndication

I might have asked this question before but hell if I remember the answer so forgive me.

How does a show expect to make tons of money in syndication if the DVD of virtually every season is already being marketed?

First season of Arrested is out so is the syndication deal (when and if the show should reach 100 or so eps.) not as lucrative?

Not everyone is going to rush out and buy the DVDs of the series. For every guy like me who buys a bunch of DVDs of shows, some of them not yet in syndication (such as Alias), there are probably about 5 people who don't buy the DVDs because they can get expensive REAL fast (most DVD collections of this sort start at $30 per season. When you're talking about a show that could run into many seasons like Friends or Frasier, you're talking hundreds of bucks for the privelage of watching the DVDs). Besides, if you're a fan of the show, odds are good you'll A) still watch the repeat when it comes on TV (even though you have the DVD already) and B) will be watching the show when the following season comes out, which is what these guys need to GET to the point where they can get a syndication run (shows like Sports Night which get regular rotation on Comedy Central with only 2 seasons in the can are rare exceptions). So they're making money now while the show is hot, and they're (hopefully) ensuring that fans will come back next season to see what else is going on.

Comment

I see your point. I just don't think the payout for syndication will be as high in future years.

(most DVD collections of this sort start at $30 per season. When you're talking about a show that could run into many seasons like Friends or Frasier, you're talking hundreds of bucks for the privelage of watching the DVDs).
      Good privelage though. They don't only cut up repeats for time they butcher repeats for PC measures as well. Sucks.

But you're right. The cost of the Simpsons collection if all 16 DVD sets were out would be well over 500 bucks. At least you're not paying it all at once.

Comment

Working...
      X