Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascension - Syfy

Did anyone watch this? What's your thoughts?

Re: Ascension - Syfy

I thought it was okay... until that twist!
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
      ... until that twist!

Ahhhhh crap, okay I'll delete that idea from my dropbox folder then...
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I had the twist spoiled for me months before. I have the episodes building up on my DVR but probably won't get to them before the weekend.

Comment

I didn't buy that the (elected) leader of the Ascension "in-transit" (gets complicated fast) colony would be attached at the waist to a woman who is apparently the madame of the ship's brothel. Especially given the supposed pre-Sex Revolution mindset of those on board.

The twist also doesn't work, because the logic doesn't hold up. (*spoiler below*):

The woman outside who is investigating the modus operandi of the earthbound "starship" says, "Don't tell me this was all done to see how well a generational starship would work in flight."

And the head of the project says, (paraphrase):"Heheh. You're smart. Of course not. You know all the nifty technology we've developed the past fifty years? All that computer stuff, battlefield and communications tech, etc.? All done on board the starship. You lock a few hundred genius-IQ level people up and give them the right equipment, you'd be surprised what they come up with."

WHA-A-A? How did they know the few hundred bright people would come up with ANYTHING? Isn't that an even bigger stretch than the idea of a ruinously expensive test run.

I haven't gotten to the third episode, so maybe it gets explained better. But on the face of it, this "explanation" is like a shell game where there is no pea....
          Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 12-26-2014, 05:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on the ending?

(SPOILER)

Let me understand this right... the guy running the operation (Gil Bellows) can't be more than 50 years old- at best a child when this whole thing started. But somehow he has come to believe- and has enough faith in this to risk lives and kill people-- that at some point keeping these people locked in the Ascension will result in spontaneous evoluton to where psychic powers will develop?

And the result of these powers, seen in the final shot, is one guy gets teleported to an alien world where he can apparently breathe? That's where we leave off?

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
              Ahhhhh crap, okay I'll delete that idea from my dropbox folder then...
              but if you're joking ...

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
              I didn't buy that the (elected) leader of the Ascension "in-transit" (gets complicated fast) colony would be attached at the waist to a woman who is apparently the madame of the ship's brothel. Especially given the supposed pre-Sex Revolution mindset of those on board.

The twist also doesn't work, because the logic doesn't hold up. (*spoiler below*):

The woman outside who is investigating the modus operandi of the earthbound "starship" says, "Don't tell me this was all done to see how well a generational starship would work in flight."

And the head of the project says, (paraphrase):"Heheh. You're smart. Of course not. You know all the nifty technology we've developed the past fifty years? All that computer stuff, battlefield and communications tech, etc.? All done on board the starship. You lock a few hundred genius-IQ level people up and give them the right equipment, you'd be surprised what they come up with."

WHA-A-A? How did they know the few hundred bright people would come up with ANYTHING? Isn't that an even bigger stretch than the idea of a ruinously expensive test run.

I haven't gotten to the third episode, so maybe it gets explained better. But on the face of it, this "explanation" is like a shell game where there is no pea....
              Originally posted by Pardack View Post
              Anyone have any thoughts on the ending?

(SPOILER)

Let me understand this right... the guy running the operation (Gil Bellows) can't be more than 50 years old- at best a child when this whole thing started. But somehow he has come to believe- and has enough faith in this to risk lives and kill people-- that at some point keeping these people locked in the Ascension will result in spontaneous evoluton to where psychic powers will develop?

And the result of these powers, seen in the final shot, is one guy gets teleported to an alien world where he can apparently breathe? That's where we leave off?
              Guys, it's the SyFy Channel. What exactly were you expecting?

Comment

but if you're joking ...
                Nope...
                Here in New Zealand we have a hydro power scheme that drains from a mountain lake down into a man made cavern where the generators are, then out into a fiord.
                As a kid in the 80s I heard about this, saw something on TV about its construction and came up with the idea of faking a starship during a nuclear crisis or environmental breakdown or the like so the 'crew' thought there was no return but if push came to shove there could be an automatic evacuation if life became untenable down there. Meanwhile so long as it rained and they could maintain the machinery of life the 'starship' would always have energy

So this concept has spent the last 30 years percolating without an actual story. Closest I came was the idea of 300years after the apocalypse the crew came out to a hostile changed wilderness and used the 'starship' as a base. Probably a TV series.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Finished eppy three. Overall, better than I expected. Above the SyFy Channel's usual standard, though with the T&A, it was occasionally like watching a Playboy channel version of same.

The actors portraying Stokes and Christa carried the last episode, IMO. Nice character arc w/ the captain and his wife, though when they took out "Councilman Rose" it was kind of like watching two geckos winning against an alligator.

My earlier complaint about a cheating shell game was answered at least partly, with the StarChild schtick. Arthur C. Clarke may be revolving in his grave, but he just saved this miniseries, at the last moment.

I'll watch again, if it comes back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    Nope...
                    Here in New Zealand we have a hydro power scheme that drains from a mountain lake down into a man made cavern where the generators are, then out into a fiord.
                    As a kid in the 80s I heard about this, saw something on TV about its construction and came up with the idea of faking a starship during a nuclear crisis or environmental breakdown or the like so the 'crew' thought there was no return but if push came to shove there could be an automatic evacuation if life became untenable down there. Meanwhile so long as it rained and they could maintain the machinery of life the 'starship' would always have energy

So this concept has spent the last 30 years percolating without an actual story. Closest I came was the idea of 300years after the apocalypse the crew came out to a hostile changed wilderness and used the 'starship' as a base. Probably a TV series.
                    Not a bad idea. Humans traveling to another planet is going to happen in our not-so-distant future. Even if the occupants knew it was a hoax/simulation, in preparation for the real thing, a Big Brother-styled series could still work. The concept is actually in the works, but their loss might be your gain...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...st-a-scam.html

Comment

Guys, it's the SyFy Channel. What exactly were you expecting?
                      They did Battlestar Galactica.

Comment

Working...
                      X