Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Peaks

holy **** those first four episodes of season 3 were bon.kers. and yet still true to the spirit of the ABC seasons. but like on steroids for pay cable.

i don't doubt that it will be even more polarizing than the original but, like what that did for network television in 1990, this felt equally "unseen" for Peak TV in 2017. i would love to have been in the screening room with the Showtime brass the first time they saw it but even at its most insane moments, i also know that HBO today would NEVER have the balls to put that on.

i love Lynch for never playing it safe and there was almost nothing safe about those first four hours

Re: Twin Peaks

So...Episode 8...

You have to admire David Lynch. He could have easily made something accessible like the original Twin Peaks but he's going full Lynch here. This episode felt like 2001 on acid.

I really don't know what I make of it. I think I need to watch it again. It's rare that I can watch something and not know if I absolutely loved it or hated it.

Comment

reddit Twin Peaks has (many) theories but the general consensus is that Bob was somehow born in the fire of the first atomic bomb test in 1945 and . . . well it goes on from there

but yes it's amazing that Lynch got an entire hour of broadcast television to do something that abstract and expressionist

i'm still processing and not sure why we needed to see those events now at this point halfway through the "movie" but i love that Lynch challenges me to reconsider all my assumptions and experiences with his material. even when i feel frustrated with pacing or lack of clarity in an episode, i also feel like it's over too fast when it ends and inevitably rewatch it a second time later that night. they get under your skin in a very strange way

Comment

Warning, rant ahead. I got pretty frustrated today while watching ep 8, to the point where I just quit, I've had enough of this absurdist psychedelic acid trip and its awful pacing and its terrible music choices. HAD. ENOUGH.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
          Warning, rant ahead. I got pretty frustrated today while watching ep 8, to the point where I just quit, I've had enough of this absurdist psychedelic acid trip and its awful pacing and its terrible music choices. HAD. ENOUGH.
          i can understand the reaction but i still fall other side of the fence

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-...flashback.html

Comment

I thought about that episode the whole day afterwards and now firmly believe it was a masterpiece.

Comment

yes, i think there is something of a case to be made that maybe it shouldn't have taken 13 hours for things to really "start happening" (counterargument is they have been happening, just not necessarily in the way that other television shows condition viewers to expect them) but the pieces all feel like they are falling into place now. so good.

Comment

the original Twin Peaks premiered shortly after my 20th birthday in 1990. tonight (maybe?) the story's long, twisting road finally reaches something approaching an ending. "I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Comment

...any thoughts?

Comment

if it is truly the end of the show, possibly the best series finale ever. it both resolved the "Twin Peaks" aspects in the first hour (wonderful), and then completely subverted everything we thought we knew about those aspects in the second (strange). totally delivered on what the show has always been from the start and will be talked about for another 25 years

Comment

You have to hand it to David Lynch. He ended the original run on a huge f**k you of a cliffhanger. He waited 25 years to resolve it to leave it on an even more perplexing cliffhanger. People wanted everything tied up neatly and nobody should have expected it to be that simple.

As you say the first part did at least tie up a lot of that. The second part...you could come up with a thousand theories or interpretations and none of them may be right. All I know is that like a lot of Lynch's best work this left me unsettled on a very deep level without really knowing why.

Will there be more? There's definitely a very open door for it. If Twin Peaks is all Laura Palmer's dream does it need more? Maybe the Laura is Jesus thing holds weight. God knows. But the episode was very thought provoking and will continue to be for a long time so I can't ask for more.

Loved the payoff to Lucy learning how cell phones work.

Comment

i don't think the season 2 finale (or this one) was intended as a **** you to the viewers (the execs at ABC who hated the show . . . quite possibly). Lynch/Frost legitimately didn't know if they were going to get a third season at the time.

but, hypothetically, if they had gotten the third season and done the network version of The Return in 1992 -- fast forward 25 years and tell basically the same story with Mr. C, Dougie, etc. -- I would have probably still thought "Yep, that's about how I expected it to end."

Comment

Working...
                        X