No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for my classic sci-fi peeps

Hi all,

So I have a question about a possible classic sci-fi tv show episode.

My sister posed a question to me the other day and I did not have an answer for her so I wanted to reach out here to see if I can get some help, because otherwise it's gonna drive me crazy until I get the answer.

She said she was thinking of what she believes is an original Star Trek episode where they go to a very hot planet and there is a man there who works for ice. He needs the ice to rest at night or something like that. She thinks the ice was their currency on that planet. (My sister was very vague in her description.) She was wanting to know the name of the episode so she could look it up and watch it.

I told her I didn't think it was an original Star Trek episode and it sounded more like an Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episode, but one I had not seen or remembered.

Does this sound like anything anyone here may remember? I am pretty good at knowing most classic sci-fi shows, but her description did not ring a bell for me.

Re: Question for my classic sci-fi peeps

I love these games and trying to think of what it is. I love original star trek and it's not from the original series from anything I can recall. I'm not as good with next generation as I never liked it as much.

Hmm...

Comment

You helped me to rediscover The King, (2005), so I’m trying my damnedest to help you with this one. Bear in mind it’s entirely possible your sister may have conflated the elements of two or more stories, as anyone might do when the memories are decades old.

Here is the only television episode candidate—one where ice isn't involved—I’ve come up with so far:

The Midnight Sun,” (1961), from The Twilight Zone.

I’ll keep looking.

UNRELATED: but no less interesting to you and me, is Wikipedia’s extensive coverage of the Star Trek Original Series episode entitled “The City on the Edge of Forever.” It’s interesting to read of the number of rewrites the episode received and the feud between Harlan Ellison and Gene Roddenberry. Stumbled upon the article looking through episodes to find the story you refer to in your original post.
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-22-2020, 09:06 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Hi, Darthclaw13. The only other thing I've found that's remotely close to what your sister describes are some stories by Science Fiction author Hal Clement.

Specifically, a short story about a planet named "Hekla - An ice-age planet in "Cold Front" (a short story in Astounding July 1946).-

The other story, a novel also by Hal Clement, is called "Iceworld,- (1953).

Comment

Could it be that your sister had a flashback memory of an incarnation in a previous life from thousands of years ago when planet Earth was undergoing a similar drought phase of climate change?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
            Could it be that your sister had a flashback memory of an incarnation in a previous life from thousands of years ago when planet Earth was undergoing a similar drought phase of climate change?
            Surely genetic memory plus REM sleep is the explanation?
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

LOL.

She keeps insisting it's an original Star Trek episode but I set her straight on that because I know it's not.

I told her she must have dreamed it or something because I can't find anything either and I am the only one in our family that loves sci-fi. My sister actually hates all things sci-fi so I was floored when she asked me about this.

But I must say it has given me some ideas for a story though.

Comment

BTW, yesterday I looked through all the original [I]The Outer Limits[/I] episode blurbs and could not find any that remotely resembled a heat wave situation.

Comment

Nothing at all do to with this episode but it trigger a memory. I read a Scifi story back at school years ago. This place's economics were reversed.

You paid your boss to have a job, but suppliers of goods and services paid you to take them. Obviously the more goods and services that... ummm "were bought for you (I guess) the better job you could afford. Someone (a scummy Earthling probably) tried wroughting the system by stashing money to take home but in the same system it was illegal to hold cash and advantageous to be in debt.

At least I think that was how it came together
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

BTW, yesterday I looked through all the original [i]The Outer Limits[/I] episode blurbs and could not find any that remotely resembled a heat wave situation.

Thank you all for the continued help.

I did get some more info from my sister. I got some of the detail wrong.

So, the ice for currency was not correct.

She says the human character got stuck on this prison planet which is super hot and the prisoners have to use picks to mine rocks.

An alien being who is also there tells the human that they have a quota each day and if they reach their quota they get to sleep next to a large block of ice at night and if they don't reach the quota the alien being said he would be really angry at the human. Typical threat thing, and I guess the human gets rescued by their ship mates in the episode.

So it's a little different from what I originally wrote, sorry bout that.

Does this help jog any memories?

Comment

Maybe one of these is the answer:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, (1991)

Enemy Mine, (1985)

There’s some mining going on in these two movies, but it’s not the main thrust of either story as the new description seems to indicate.

Does your sister read any science fiction books or short stories? If so, the search territory just grew exponentially larger.

Comment

Those are the 2 I thought of but both did not seem right for exact what was said, but maybe...

Comment

A segue:

From IMDB:

"Does the word 'mine' in 'Enemy Mine' refer to the scavenger mine?

No. Author Barry Longyear was quoted as stating that 20th Century Fox asked him to write in the subplot involving the scavenger mine because the audience would not figure out that the title 'Enemy Mine' was actually a play on the phrase 'My enemy.' "

I remember watching this film and not remembering a mining operation at all. Right from the get-go I always thought it was a play on the phrase "My enemy". So I and Mother Teresa are really proud of me.
                          Last edited by Mark Somers; 06-25-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                            A segue:

From IMDB:

"Does the word 'mine' in 'Enemy Mine' refer to the scavenger mine?

No. Author Barry Longyear was quoted as stating that 20th Century Fox asked him to write in the subplot involving the scavenger mine because the audience would not figure out that the title 'Enemy Mine' was actually a play on the phrase 'My enemy.' "

I remember watching this film and not remembering a mining operation at all. Right from the get-go I always thought it was a play on the phrase "My enemy". So I and Mother Teresa are really proud of me.
                            I’m with you on this one; the literary play on words of the title didn’t throw me off either. I never considered it could be an explosive device or an actual ore-mining reference. I was surprised by the mining part of the movie’s story when it showed up (although it was a good plot device/turn). What a studio note: Change your C-story to THIS!
                            Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-25-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
                              Thank you all for the continued help.

I did get some more info from my sister. I got some of the detail wrong.

So, the ice for currency was not correct.

She says the human character got stuck on this prison planet which is super hot and the prisoners have to use picks to mine rocks.

An alien being who is also there tells the human that they have a quota each day and if they reach their quota they get to sleep next to a large block of ice at night and if they don't reach the quota the alien being said he would be really angry at the human. Typical threat thing, and I guess the human gets rescued by their ship mates in the episode.

So it's a little different from what I originally wrote, sorry bout that.

Does this help jog any memories?
                              I certainly hope your sister hasn’t lowered herself to this level: “Ice Planet Barbarians

or this level: “Taken by the Alien Warrior: A Sci Fi Alien Romance (Warriors of Agron Book 1)

(for fun, find and read Sean Gibson’s review from the first hyperlink)

(for other fun, read the names of the authors under the section “Sponsored products related to this item.” Pseudonyms much?)
                              Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-25-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X