Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO ends Carinvale...

USAToday reports that HBO will stop production on the TV series; Carinvale. I never really watched any parts of it so I'm not going to miss it. It did look well crafted.

BM
    I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

I'll miss it.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

Well honestly I was surprised as HELL when they said they were gearing up for a third season. I was a faithful watcher, even through the THICK (LONG EPISODES OF NOTHING). In the end I loved the intelligence of the show, but even in the second season you could see HBO told 'em to get to the point. Season 2's episodes revealed three times as much as the first season's episodes did and still at times lagged. Once season two ended it showed us everything, and wrapped up the story. I'd personally already decided I wasn't coming back after that, as the story had ended, and it didn't seem like it'd be good enough for as third season.

Comment

It really did feel like it completed their story anyway. They're not fools, the producers knew the ratings were shitty and they should prepare for the worst. But HBO shouldn't have reason to complain about the slow pace. They admitted right from the first episode that Ben and Justin wouldn't even meet until season 2. No surprise there.

I do think it's sad that it's leaving. It was smart enough, and there isn't enough of that around.

Ele...

Comment

Re: HBO ends Carinvale...

Bummer.

And Arli$$ lasted how long?
          They cursed us forever, making us prefer dreams to lives.

Comment

I watched some episodes of "Carnivale", mainly because I could not find anything better to watch on a cable system that has all those smash hits like "Gigli" and those wonderful news programs like "Hannity and Colmes".

I could not get into "Carnivale". It was torturously slow. I did, however, see the last two or three episodes of this season. I think they might have ended it a little differently if they had known they were being axed.

Yes, I am really ComicBent. I can't hide any longer.

Comment

I loved Arli$$

Comment

Sorry, but could you please spell Carnivale correctly?
                Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Wow. The board censors edited the sh!t outta my last post.

Ele...

Comment

And they no longer list their "credits" at the bottom?
                    Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Yes. The hand of censorship does seem to be striking down more frequently since the move to the new board.

As for Carnivale, it was an interesting premise but it took WAAAAAYYYYY too long to get to the point. I dropped out about halfway through the first season simply because I couldn't take any more interminable episodes about dust and sideshow freaks with NO PAYOFF. I love building intensity as much as the next guy, but the writers also need to realize that they have, at best, a few episodes to hook an audience. I applaud them for trying something different, but I also condem them for butchering an intriguing premise with terrible pacing. They needed to find a balance between the two but, unfortunately, they never did.

Comment

The pacing in season 2 was much improved and it made for a brilliant dramatic series.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I LOVED Carnivale. Slow outta the gate, yes. But the show's creators stated up front that their intention was to give us a slow-building, historical mood and character piece so it came as no surprise to me. I could always find something to enjoy in the show; even through the more meandering scenes the artful production design and excellent direction were worth my attention. And how about that Clancy Brown, huh? He creeped me out as Brother Justin on Carnivale, yet all along he'd been making me laugh as the voice of Mr. Krabs on Spongebob.

---And now, a little humor for the Deadwood faithful---
                          I might hazard a f**kin' hypothesis that the f**kin' venerable powers that be in the f**kin' Home Box Office Parthenon of Executive f**kin' rumination have come to a f**kin' quorum, and thereby elected to throw their f**kin' considerable support and largesse behind that f**kin' frontier f**kin' follies entertainment heretofore known by the f**kin' moniker of "Deadwood", and as such, have taken this f**kin' opportunity to dispose of the f**kin' dramatalurgical behemoth with the f**kin' appellation of "Carnivale" at the f**kin' close of its f**kin' sophomore effort, so as to make f**kin' available to Deadwood all funds and f**kin' resources previously f**kin' consumed by the f**kin' whelp.

My husband loves Deadwood and so does his Dad, but I have a lot of trouble following it because everyone from the town's newspaper editor to the lowliest, two-bit hooker speaks in rambling sentences filled with five-dollar words and generously doused with the f-bomb. I don't have time to decipher one character's speech before the next one starts talking. Yes, I could TiVO it and pause after each bit of dialog as needed, but that kills the mood of the show and then it's more like an English homework assignment than entertainment.

Comment

I have a lot of trouble following it because everyone from the town's newspaper editor to the lowliest, two-bit hooker speaks in rambling sentences filled with five-dollar words and generously doused with the f-bomb
                            It can be tough to understand them, but Milch does it on purpose. His theory is that people back then learned from the classics: Shakespeare, the Greeks, etc. Just like modern people talk like MTV and movies, back then they picked up their speech patterns from lofty works, and combined it with the gutter slang of their everyday world.

It can be rough to follow, but it's nice to see a show so ambitious in its dialogue concept.
                            They cursed us forever, making us prefer dreams to lives.

Comment

Cup - It's an interesting idea, and ambitious, but do you really think someone like Trixie or Calamity ever read the classics? I thought that among the less fortunate in those times, the Bible was the most commonly-used text for teaching reading to children schooled at home---oftentimes it was the only book in the house.

I think it would make more sense to me if the class distinctions of youth were reflected in the adults' speech, so that some people would use flowery language but the many less- and uneducated people wouldn't. But hey, that's just me, and as I've already admitted, I struggle.

Comment

Working...
                              X