Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargate - SG1 / Puzzle

I saw the new Stargate. Seems a bit of a slow start, but it still shows promise with the new characters.

There was too much backstory on Mitchell (Ben Browder of Farscape fame.)

It's interesting he's upset about SG1 being reassigned. Is this a hint to us that they won't be around much, or will some, or all, rejoin eventually?

I know how to solve the "cliffhanger" puzzle Mitchell is working on. I caught a glimpse of two tiles, but that's enough. I saw the "four circles" tile and the "heart shape" tile. The arc of the two "bumps" in the heart shape continue to form circles within the heart. A quick look at one more tile will tell me if the heart shape is upside down or not. I can then tell what the other six tiles (9 total) look like and their order.
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Re: Stargate - SG1 / Puzzle

I think they were trying to come up with a both a way to show why he'd be considered for the lead of SG-1 (and having O'Neill simply moving up the ranks into administration is nice because it gives you MacGuyver as a strong costar whenever you need him, instead of just killing him off)

and having to fight to get everyone back onto the team established conflict and character building between the original principals and the new guy.

A decent enough device to accomplish these task.

Comment

Re: Stargate - SG1

I'm not sure what to think about last week's premiere. This is essentially a new show, complete with new main characters, new bad guys and a new mythos. That is not necessarily a bad thing in a show that has been on for nine seasons, but it will definitely take some getting used to. O'Neill has always been the heart of the show, and now that Richard Dean Anderson is gone for good it will be a lot different. I was hoping that he would make regular guest appearances throughout the season, but that is apparently not the case. I'm not sure if Beau Bridges will be able to fill those shoes.

The Arthurian premise is interesting, although the jury is still out. The show definitely needed a new mythos, since the Egyptian and Norse mythology that had been the hallmarks of the show were completely played out. After all, how many times can you resurrect the same two G'oauld bad guys and send them out to attack earth. The plots were also definitely getting redundant. Kill one system lord and then another one takes his place, rinse and repeat. As long as Daniel Jackson and T'ealc are still around, there will still be a nice core element for the fans. As for the rest, we'll have to wait and see. This is either the beginning of a bold new chapter or the moment when the show completely jumped the shark.

Comment

Re: Stargate - SG1

It'll be interesting to see, purely from a writing standpoint, how they handle the shift to new characters. I think it'll be a challenge, but Ben Browder looks to be a good choice. I understood what they were doing with the backstory to introduce him, but it did seem to be too much for me, too obvious.

Comment

I still don't know why the hell he got the medal of honor and everyone was making such a fuss over him? Just for shooting down an enemy plane? Damn, by that rationale, every fighter ace from WWII should be swimming in MOHs.

The second episode didn't do much to clear up the new mythos, although I do like the premise of evil ancients. I always thought the idea of humans evolving into omniscient balls of light seemed a tad cliche'. However, the whole Jaffa politics sub-plot doesn't make much sense. Why the hell would they be so distrusting of humans after we just liberated their entire civilization? That also seems a tad contrived.

In general, if there is one problem that I have with the Stargate shows, it is their over reliance on the Deus Ex Machina device. In just about every episode,the characters get into a seemingly un-winnable dillema only to be saved at the last minute by some miraculous device/ally/circumstance, etc. Frankly, that smacks of lazy writing, and it is disappointing since the dialogue in the show can sometimes be very good. However, I suppose you can't expect much when the show is written/directed/produced by Peter DeLouise. I hope that, with this new direction, the show gets away from that device and also starts to explore some darker subject matter.

Comment

I liked Ben Browder in Farscape as John Crichton, but he is paying the exact same character here.

Couldnâ€TMt he at least make an attempt at playing Cameron Mitchell differently?

On top of that they bring in Claudia Black which totally F*cks with my senses, Iâ€TMm going SG1, Farscape, SG1, Farscape….what am I watching?
            Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

It looks like the people over at Sci-fi raided all of their old shows to repopulate Stargate. They brought on the two from Farscape along with the girl who played the android on Andromeda. Who's next? Kevin Sorbo?

Comment

Originally posted by godman99
                It looks like the people over at Sci-fi raided all of their old shows to repopulate Stargate. They brought on the two from Farscape along with the girl who played the android on Andromeda. Who's next? Kevin Sorbo?
                Shhh! Someone might hear you! Lexa Doig is married to Michael Shanks.
                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Hassan_Chop
                  I liked Ben Browder in Farscape as John Crichton, but he is paying the exact same character here.

Couldnâ€TMt he at least make an attempt at playing Cameron Mitchell differently?

On top of that they bring in Claudia Black which totally F*cks with my senses, Iâ€TMm going SG1, Farscape, SG1, Farscape….what am I watching?
                  Omigod! I thought I was seeing things. I never watched Farscape (didn't have SciFi), but I did see the Peacekeeper Wars (the last movie), so last week when I didn't change the channel after Battlestar Galactica, I was really confused.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                  - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Working...
                  X